Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 13:03   #1

Want to buy a Bounty II

I am looking for a Rhodes Bounty II for sale. It would be nice to find one in decent shape. I am not looking for brand new but that would be nice. If any one knows of one feel free to let me know. If you have a good or decent full keel cruiser and are thinking about selling feel free to let me know as well. I appreciate your time
hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 20:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Want to buy a Bounty II

Might be helpful to let folks know where you are at.
P.S. That Countess 44 that you commented on is a better choice IMHO and an Alden design to boot. The price is good and probably negotiable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 21:24   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Might be helpful to let folks know where you are at.
P.S. That Countess 44 that you commented on is a better choice IMHO and an Alden design to boot. The price is good and probably negotiable.
Yeah I agree with Celestial, if you are near that Countess, and she is still for sale, I'd go get a look at her. IMO the Pearson Rhodes 41 may even be a little better than the Bounty II (same hull) owing to the engine placement in the Pearson.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:50   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

There was a Countess for sale in the Great Lakes not that long ago, they usually tend to take a little longer to sell..
Old 09-08-2021, 06:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Great Lakes boats - no corrosion
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Bountys were one of the very few first fiberglass boats, built around 60 plus years ago...."new" is not in the cards! They are very tough boats, small compared to today's 40 footers, but nearly indestructible.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:49   #7

If I had 250,000 I would go buy a nice Oceanis and go sailing the world. However, I am looking for a boat that has those kinds of traits of the bounty II...(Bulletproof) Full keel preferably encapsulated, solid hull (in a perfect world a solid deck too), No wood masts (I trust aluminum), reasonably affordable. I have been looking at boat after boat after boat...and they are absolutely neglected or have so much Frankensteining...(Not a word but you get the idea) that they are not safe. Now I do not mind work because all boats no matter how perfect or new need work, but I don't want to be a person like I have seen all over that spends 3, 5, 10...or more years fixing a boat only to not be able to sail it because of health, job, age...whatever the case. I would like a boat that is sailable or motorable, and can be outfitted as I am sailing and developing my skills. I have made reasonable offers on decent boats that fit the bill that have only been neglected for 3 or so years, and people have in their mind that they are going to get a certain price and 5 years later either the wife says "get rid of the boat," or they are now so decrepit that they are giving them away. I will pay a reasonable amount of money for a reasonable boat, but I don't want to pay a reasonable amount of money and then end up putting in the same amount of money that I could have bought a very well maintained boat for. I know everyone here knows EXACTLY what I am talking about. So I researched the Kaiser, Westsail (I do not know if I am a fan of deck stepped boats), Countess, Rhodes 41, Islander 44. All very good boats, but as we all know, as soon as they get in a brokers hands they end up rotting at the dock because they are not a 150,000 Beneteau. Any help would be nice. Obviously my comments are generalizations but I am looking for somebody that has a boat like what I have described and actually wants to sell it because they actually want to see it maintained and SAIL! I appreciate everyone's input, time, and help whether good or bad.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:50   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Where are you again? There is that thread for boats $30K and under that had a Cal 40 up in Seattle I'd check out, and I am a fan of the old school Rhodes/S&S/Alberg etc. It had a encapsulated fin keel and spade rudder, but it has quite a good pedigree too. It's a good downwind design. My appreciation of the old school is the "sea-kindliness" which to me is the motion, especially going upwind, but that's just me. But I might tolerate a little bashing with a Cal 40. I might not point so high.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 13:05   #9

Yes hopeful, we would like to help you but please let us know where you are. This is a great resource but it make no sense telling you about a boat in California if you live on the East coast or in another country.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-08-2021, 13:05   #10

I am in the Florida Area, but for the right boat I would be willing to travel where ever the boat is to look at it.
Old 09-08-2021, 13:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
I am in the Florida Area, but for the right boat I would be willing to travel where ever the boat is to look at it.
Not if you saw what trucking/shipping costs are nowadays...
Old 09-08-2021, 13:11   #12

But you are fortunate being in Fl. as that seems to be where a lot of the used market is.
Old 09-08-2021, 14:53   #13

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
I am looking for a Rhodes Bounty II for sale. It would be nice to find one in decent shape. I am not looking for brand new but that would be nice. If any one knows of one feel free to let me know. If you have a good or decent full keel cruiser and are thinking about selling feel free to let me know as well. I appreciate your time
Sold my bounty II yawl years ago. Currently have a 1983 Vagabond 52 staysail schooner for sale. EXCELLENT cruiser, crossed Atlantic twice, full keel and a hefty 32 tons of comfort at sea. Excellent liveaboard. Must sell. Encouraging offers.
gwbull@gmail.com— located in Portsmouth RI (no sales tax).
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 16:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Bountys were one of the very few first fiberglass boats, built around 60 plus years ago...."new" is not in the cards! They are very tough boats, small compared to today's 40 footers, but nearly indestructible.

What I meant by "new" was "maintained". I should probably edit that for clarity.
Old 16-08-2021, 14:56   #15

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

I have my custom Wylie 45' for sale.
www.malaya4sail.com
I realize this boat is very different than the designs you are calling out, but she is VERY special and well maintained. Also an ad for her in the classifieds.
NRosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote