Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25   #16

Re: Wanted 35'-42' bluewater cruiser! Up to $25k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know there's this website; yachtworld.com that is much more likely to have this than this limited number of internet forum posters. And even more likely for your budget there's craigslist.com
Thank you! I have many many listings bookmarked from those websites and more. We will travel to Boston next week and begin to view some of them and continue as far south as N. Carolina to view others.
Its_about_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 13:57   #17

"So, make sure you set aside enough money to do necessary repairs or upgrades to the boat. Older, lower priced boats may require many "fixes" even if they are advertised as "good condition."

Heck, so do newer boats! Am amazed at how many I've looked at need new rig, new sails, refrig repaired, rudder fixed, engine serviced, exhaust replaced....and these are in that size range and $80 to $110K!! A broker will tell you it's ready to cruise with a 20 year old rig. When that rig fails your insurance company will laugh.

So don't be surprised to find many of us thinking you're dreaming. To go cruising, especialy with family, you need a reliable boat and some good gear, mostly new. I have a buddy that bought a bargain boat with ancient everything. Sailed it from SF to San Diego. When I asked him what safety gear he had on board - a survival suit.....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 14:43   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_about_time View Post
Sailed for over 30 years from 12' to 42'. It s the best route to the Mediterranean. I ve been in Asia... No need to cross the Pacific again. Just going to visit friends living in Malaysia and the Philippines after cruising the Mediterranean, with our eyes set on Croatia.
Check with Kenomac.
He's already in Croatia and might sell his Oyster 53 for $25 K.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 20:55   #19

Did you see that Westerly 33 in St. Martin? Not sure how she weathered Irma but could be a good option for you. I think it was around 20k- and just crossed the Atlantic.
scottrgrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:39   #20

I have a few options in the USA and surprisingly a few great leads in the Caribbean. Most are post 1981 at 37' to 40' and a couple are loaded with great electronics, safety gear, recent rigging, etc. Just need to stay patient.
Its_about_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:39   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Best deals really are the cold places like the Northeast! Those boats have had less use and been in many ch less harsh conditions.
Old 14-12-2018, 06:13   #22

Hey it’s possible to get a yacht with some of the upgrades you’ve mentioned perhaps not all. Of course they all need a little money spent on them after purchase. I found that the Caribbean is good place to look
Often many upgrades are made before heading down and some sailors find cruising isn’t for them.

In the Rio Dulce, Guatemala We saw a Dufour 1978 with new sails (one season old) recent rigging(3 years old), new dodger and Bimini,
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:24   #23

I have a 35ft O'day sloop that might meet your needs. She is in the Tampa, Florida area.
svpattilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:53   #24

Boat: EDELCAT33
Wanted 35'-42' bluewater cruiser! Up to $25k

There are just too many boats at that price range in Florida, nvermind the rest of US

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-b...atching+Boats+
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14   #25

Good luck in your search.
svpattilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 18:39   #26

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

I know this is on the lower end of your size range, but it is also on the lower end of the cost. We have a '71 Morgan 35 we just did a complete bottom, freeboard, and top-sides paint job. Repaired some small blisters and painted her a beautiful glossy black and launched last Friday.

Over the past 4 years - replaced all 110v and 12v wiring, added a hard dodger, replaced interior woodwork, added a drip-less shaft seal, rebuilt the head, added a folding cockpit table, self-tailing pimary winches, ran halyards and reef lines to cockpit on stoppers and winch, etc.

She had been re-powered with a Yanmar 3GM30F. Ammenities include autopilot, spinnaker pole & gear (but no sail), fully battened main, dutchman system, spare main, roller furling genoa, drifter, two anchors/rodes, bow roller, chart-plotter, VHF, stereo, hot water tank (not connected), refrigeration (needs service), sun cover, swim ladder, teak interior, new non-skid deck and topsides.

Keel is 4'3" with working centerboard. See sailboatdata.com for specs.

Moving up to 45 ft. liveaboard this year - will sell for under 20K. Located on Lake Erie.

If interested, send PM. I have many pictures.
MGRodems is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, wanted, water