Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 13:49   #31

Re: Wanted - 40'(approx) Blue-water live-aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
A boat's value can be graphed as a stepped decline over the years, with flat levels coming after refits. The lesson here is that you never get your money out of a refit if you sell the boat. So, it stands to reason that the best value in a boat is one that has been recently and extensively refit, but is now on the market. Let the previous owner eat the cost.

Buying an older boat "on the cheap" with the theory that you're going to do a major refit, unless you know a whole lot about boat repair and maintenance and are going to do the work yourself, is a recipe for spending more than you expected and having considerably more invested in the boat than it's subsequent value.

The upside is that you get to have it refit exactly as you like. However, another reason to avoid boats in need of extensive refits is that if they have fallen into such a state of disrepair and neglect, there is probably more work that needs to be done than meets the eye, and you're level of confidence in all the boat's systems should be fairly low.

Given your goals, what I would look for is a boat that was recently refit and equipped for a circumnavigation, which then never happened. They are out there.
No truer words have been spoken, excellent advice.
Old 17-02-2017, 14:31   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Beneteau 423 2003 2 cabin 220v French made model fully equipped with Everything

Currently in Whangarei, New Zealand, but I'm willing to deliver anywhere in the Pacific.

- diesel 4.5kw generator rebuilt 2015
- all new standing rigging 2015
- crusAir aircon
- 2000w inverter 2015
- new sunbrella cushions/mattress covers in saloon/v berth
- 600w solar 2016
- brand new galley countertop 2016
- silentwind 400w windgenerator 2016
- Hydrovane 2015
- katadyn 200 watermaker 2015
- fridge+freezer
- updated touchscreen e120 at helm, e80 at Nav desk
- AIs
- davits
- dinghy with Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
- never used custom shade covers for boom and bow deck
- newly refurbished bimini 2016
- new strataglass on dodger 2016
- new transmission 2016
- recent buff/wax 2016
- new mainsail 2015
- New Jib 2016
- lots of spare parts, filters, etc.
- folding Oru kayak
- inflatable tiwal sailboat with carbon fiber mast

Asking $179k USD. Willing to deliver and train new owners

As you can see this boat has it all, there's nothing missing to make this a turn key luxury cruising boat. It's fast, comfortable and safe. Price is negotiable depending on the extras that are included. Please email couchsailors@ (gmail) d.t c(o)m
Old 17-02-2017, 15:12   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffsguy View Post
Thanks Road Town and to others who have shared their ideas. I've just come back from looking at an Amel in SE Asia but was unfortunately overbid by another buyer ... so we're still looking!
At this stage there are three brands in the 45ft range that appear to be closest to our requirements - Amel, Tayana and Hallberg.
Our search will continue after I arrive in the US and Canada in April.
I would consider in-boom furling as well as in-mast. One benefit of in-boom is that if something goes wrong, all the mechanicals are at deck level where you can easily access them. Also, you get battens, which you don't with in mast.

The pilot house requirement is going to narrow down your candidates rather dramatically. I would consider making that optional, unless you're going to spend lots of time in the Pacific NW or other areas where cold and rain are prevalent.

If you are flexible on that, I'd add a few more names to your list: Passport, Hylas, Valiant, Brewer, Pacific Seacraft. There are more, just can't think of them right now lol.

There's a Hylas 44 for sale in Norfolk right now that looks pretty well looked after, although she's a bit short on cruising equipment:

1987 Hylas 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I agree that your budget might be a bit low. I think you're going to need to spend $130-150k to get closer to the condition you want in that kind of boat, although good deals do come along every now and then.
Old 17-02-2017, 17:41   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

coffsguy: you've probably already considered this, but if you guys liked the performance of your old Jeanneau, you will be happiest with a boat of similar sail area to displacement ratio. So, you may want to compare between your 3 brands.

Ann
Old 18-02-2017, 06:41   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...la-180102.html
Old 18-02-2017, 07:35   #36

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Dennis, we just completed a big refit on our Wauquiez Amphitrite, 43', and now are selling. Kids and wife have been awesome these past two years, but prefer land.

Integrated fin keel with skeg rudder, solid French boat, excellent build. Sails surprisingly well for a cruiser. LMK if you want more details. Our blog has some: www.sailingmango.com

Currently we are in MX, heading back to Seattle over the Spring/Summer to sell. We would be happy to sell her at any point in between.

Wauquiez in general are wonderfully built. At least take a look at them, not just mine. They would be on my short list if we were buying again.

Good luck with your search. Good boats are out there!

Scott
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57   #37

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch, 42ft

Hi Dennis, I have a Whitby 42 Ketch that is in great shape and a perfect live aboard. I lived on her for 2 years and hav e owned her for 4 yr. The owners before me lived on her for 7yr. Solar panels, wind generator, wind vane, she is ready for the open water. Send me your email or call me and I would be happy to tell you all about her.
Ken B.
405-850-9242
kburkemper@yahoo.com
Old 21-03-2017, 16:55   #38

Boat: Custom 42 foot frp Ketch

42 foot ketch 1975 extensive refit in 20009 for sale in St. Lucia
Old 22-03-2017, 03:54   #39

Boat: Lancer 44
Send a message via Skype™ to HNickN

We are sitting in Rebak Marina, Langkawi on our very much upgraded Lancer 44 asking way under US$100K. We purchased her in April 2008 with the intention that she would be our home for many years. We never did seriously consider cost. Our focus was comfort, sea kindliness, safety/security and reasonable sailing performance - consistent 120 nm days were a must. Before leaving our home in Hervey Bay, Qld in 2010, we spent in excess of AUD100K bringing her up to the standard we required. We have now cruised about 20,000 nm on the Australian east coast, throughout SE Asia and across to the Andaman Islands, India. The upgrades have continued with some AUD50K further invested. Unfortunately, multiple repairs to the skipper's body have curtailed his ability to carry the load and our cruise is over. This boat is well worth your consideration.
Comprehensive details are available on our website www.sy-jepeda-iv.com so have a look and contact us if interested. BTW, the fun we've had has more than compensates for the dollars we're writing off. Cheers, Nick
Old 23-03-2017, 07:09   #40

Have you thought about the Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37? Possibly one of the best boats in the world. Still unsurpassed, I have found a few, but this one comes with a delivery option, so thought it might be of interest. http://www.sailingtheatlantic.com/cr...7_for_sale.pdf . I have seen many of these, and if you are in serious oceans, this is the boat for you.
Old 23-03-2017, 08:55   #41

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK

Dennis, we have a 41' Tartan TOCK (very interesting layout with large aft cabin). We sailed from Mexico in 2014 and she's currently in Fiji. We had to leave Fiji because our Visas expired, but we're headed back to Savusavu first part of May. As our youngest, who's lived aboard since she was 8 y/o, is 17 now and needing to concentrate on her future we've talked about selling.
Old 23-03-2017, 20:30   #42

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Another option here. Mason 53, well kept, no teak decks and COULD be secured for less than $125,000 USD. Fully imported to New Zealand, so can come and go without any Taxes. Link here if you want to have a look. All the best with the search. Cheers.
Offshore Cruising Yacht | Trade Me
Old 28-03-2017, 05:49   #43

Boat: Oyster 48 Lightwave

Hello....have you found your 'dream' boat yet?
If not, our Oyster 48 Lightwave is 'for sale'...in Greece.
Please check out the following website for full details....even though 48ft.
S/Y PACIFIC PEARL...

Â*Oyster 48 LightwaveÂ* FOR SALE - OYSTER 48 LIGHTWAVE FOR SALE
Old 02-07-2017, 19:25   #44

Hi Dennis,
We have a Canadian flagged blue water cruiser for sale in Grenada - 2001 Malo 42
We purchased her in 2014 with guidance of John Neal of Mahina Expeditions
Upon her purchase we completed an extensive retrofit and equipment update. We've maintained her obsessively along our journey. She is truly a superb offshore boat that is up to date and ready to keep going across the oceans.
After a two year sabbatical and a circumnavigation, we had to return to work and land life, which is why, sadly - we have to sell her.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:41   #45

I have a 37 zeeland steel yawl full keel ,it'll go anywhere , if interested , here close to Long Island ...
Closed Thread

Tags
wanted, water