Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 10:28   #1

WANTED: Catamaran

Hi,
We are looking for an owners version Catamaran between 40-46feet. Our budget will be somewhere between $275-300,000 cash in hand quick close. We also have an ocean view/200 yards to beach 1br condo in Pompano Beach we could also negotiate with price towards purchase.
Our plan is to take our time looking for the right boat that will be the “right boat for us” and one that will fit within our budget.*

We have been researching just about every boat out there online over the last couple of years and reading many, many forums on each. Learning the positives and negatives of each manufactured model of the big three production and the semi production models. We have gone to boat shows and talked with many brokers about what our plans are.*
Yes, we have been told more than once that we should charter a couple of different catamarans that we might be interested in to see what we like. With our limited budget above, I think we need to save the money for the boat.

I know that there is no perfect cat out there and there are compromises for each individual. First, we want an owners version as first and foremost it seems they would hold their value more than a 4 SR charter version. Something that can perform well under rough conditions. We also want a boat that is in excellent well taken care of condition that was recently refitted or will not need any refitting for a few years well equipped and low engine hours.*

Some of the cats that we have our eyes on are Leopards, Privilege (expensive) Catana (expensive) not quite sure about performance on Fountain Pajot and Lagoon. Any other (special) manufactured cat that has the above qualities would also be of interest to us.*

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on your thoughts. You can also PM me.

Thanks,
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 13:22   #2

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞
Re: WANTED: Catamaran

vintage of the cats in you search?
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 16:28   #3

Boat: Leopard 38

Hi there and Merry Christmas from Grenada. I'm owner of a Leopard 38 ex charter version, now a single-handed boat to my needs. Bought it way under your budget. I searched 4 years for this boat and I'm quite happy although a few feet bigger would be nice (from time to time), but .... she's good to me (she, because its a diva).

If I would still be looking for a boat , I mean in your case, I would defenately look into a nice Admiral 40 Executive. Nice boat inside (dont forget, you are buying a house boat primary) and solid from the outside. Sailing conditions I dont know, but ... friends of mine own that boat for years and are very happy.

Rare boats though.

Anyway, good luck and all the best.
Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 20:16   #4

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

If you only want an owner's version to help with resale, this mostly only applies to buying new. The owners version of the Leopard 40 only cost a few thousand more than the 4 cabin 2 head layout but routinely sell for $50k more. So only the first buyer truly benefited.

I bought my 2008 Leopard 40 having never chartered a sailboat of any kind.

Good luck with the search. I'm really happy with my choice but no boat is perfect.

You're budget is unlikely to find a catamaran of that size that doesn't need more money spent. The used cat market is strong from what I see due to the economy and so many used boats that were heavily damaged or completely written off in 2017. But don't stop looking a deal could pop up.
Old 25-12-2018, 01:26   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420

I agree with FlyingScot. You may get more selling an owner’s version but you will pay more too to buy one.

My wife & I live aboard our 4 cabin Lagoon 420 in the Eastern Caribbean for half of each year in winters. We sleep Stbd forward, each have our own head on that side (we both like this), she has all the storage in Stbd fwd, I have all the Stbd aft for my things plus extra storage there for supplies & provisions.

The 2 cabins in the Port hull is for when we have guests.

Stbd aft can be used for guests on the odd occasion when we have a bigger family group join us.

We would not want anything other than this layout. There is a lot of wasted space in an owner’s hull and when would you actually sit down there anyway? Just don’t get it and wanted to provide you with an alternative view to consider.

Cheers.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 14:26   #6

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40

I disagree and think you should hold out for an owner’s layout. We have a 2009 Leopard 40 and use every inch of both hulls; it’s a great boat for our family/crew of 3.

Whatever you decide, hold out for the right boat for you and it’ll all be good! ;-) Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
Adam
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 06:29   #7

Thank you all. I hope to keep this thread going. Maybe something will pop.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 06:47   #8

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I did buy an owner's version for more money than a 4 cabin. But I paid significantly more and I hope to sell for more to minimize the cost of the 3 cabin layout. As far as the L40 is concerned, I think the 3 cabin layout doesn't 'waste' as much space as the larger 3 cabin models.

Good luck with the search.
Old 26-12-2018, 07:08   #9

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I agree that you should hold out for the boat you want. BUT decide on why you really want it. If the owners cabin gives more amenities, then maybe yes. Are you really going to use a desk in this hull? Sit on the love bench?
The 4 cabins generally have as much storage as 3 cabin by dedicating one cabin for storage.This can be very creative involving permanent or semi-permanent modifications.
Good luck in getting the boat of your dreams.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 20:49   #10

I was planning similar times on the boat. What do you do with your boat while not in use?
Rhoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:35   #11

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpalmer1 View Post
Hi,
and low engine hours.*

The desire for low engine hours on a used boat (say 6-10 years) may very well be over-rated. These are diesel engines and expectations are for many hours.
Having more experience with airplane engines, it is well recognized that the worst thing for an engine is inactivity. This leads to corrosion and short life span (based on hours of use). Engines heat up when used and remove trace water. In airplane engines, many will view anything less than 200 hours/ year to be wasted... thus an engine that is rated at 2000 hours time between overhaul (TBO). Thus a 10 year old engine, used only 50 hours per year would be expected to need over-haul with only 500 hours, being in the same condition as engine flown 200 hours per year for 10 years.

Thus diesel engine run frequently, and cared for appropriately with frequent oil changes, may be a much more reliable engine than one that sits (and rusts).
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 03:29   #12

We bought a Manta 42 last year. Wasn't on the list until I stepped onto her. Has all the things you want in OP
bootneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:48   #13

Hi there. I have an alpha 42 cat for sail. 2014 lying in Fort Lauderdale. Not owners version but really neat boat. Call me on 9175439998 if you are interested in learning more.

Cheers

Jamie
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, wanted