Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 07:03   #31

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40
Re: We're doin' it!

Hi everyone ~ just thought I'd update those who chimed in on what we've been up to as of late...

On June 11, we closed on our new floating home - a 2009 Leopard 40, owners' layout, never chartered, two-owner vessel with a Northern Lights 5KW generator (2,500 hrs), Yanmar 30s (2,300 hrs), two-zone a/c, water maker, 540 W Solar, and more in spectacular condition. We now have brand new Doyle sails and are in the midst of installing a new Raymarine Axiom 12" MFD, Quantum Radar, and a new integrated Fusion entertainment system. We also ordered a nice custom mattress for the owners' berth...Lilly's 11 and can sleep anywhere, so she just gets a nice mattress topper! ;-)

We feel blessed to have purchased Sandy Pause privately from a wonderful couple, Bill & Margie, who took great pride in keeping 'Cool Cat' (previous name) in tip-top condition during their 6-years of owning her. My last day of work was June 29, and as it turned out, on June 30 Bill (prior owner) helped us cast off in Punta Gorda and embark upon a 5-day delivery packed with incredible lessons and insight from a seasoned cruiser to where we are temporarily docked in Lighthouse Point...just north of Fort Lauderdale.

So what's next? We're heading to Canada for a short visit with family while waiting for the electronics install, then off to the Bahamas mid-August. Would love any insight into crossing the Gulf Stream and where to head first...what I do know is NOT to cross when there's a North wind...and to time the departure so the arrival is during daylight hours. Beyond that, I'm still learning and listening and reading and researching.

Thank you all for your insights...now that we've got Sandy Pause, it's time to explore and spend time together! :-)

Cheers,
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:02   #32
Marine Service Provider

Adam - you did it man! Love the new boat! Missed you at the beer can race yesterday!
jjmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:00   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarswell View Post
Hi everyone ~ just thought I'd update those who chimed in on what we've been up to as of late...

On June 11, we closed on our new floating home - a 2009 Leopard 40, owners' layout, never chartered, two-owner vessel with a Northern Lights 5KW generator (2,500 hrs), Yanmar 30s (2,300 hrs), two-zone a/c, water maker, 540 W Solar, and more in spectacular condition. We now have brand new Doyle sails and are in the midst of installing a new Raymarine Axiom 12" MFD, Quantum Radar, and a new integrated Fusion entertainment system. We also ordered a nice custom mattress for the owners' berth...Lilly's 11 and can sleep anywhere, so she just gets a nice mattress topper! ;-)

We feel blessed to have purchased Sandy Pause privately from a wonderful couple, Bill & Margie, who took great pride in keeping 'Cool Cat' (previous name) in tip-top condition during their 6-years of owning her. My last day of work was June 29, and as it turned out, on June 30 Bill (prior owner) helped us cast off in Punta Gorda and embark upon a 5-day delivery packed with incredible lessons and insight from a seasoned cruiser to where we are temporarily docked in Lighthouse Point...just north of Fort Lauderdale.

So what's next? We're heading to Canada for a short visit with family while waiting for the electronics install, then off to the Bahamas mid-August. Would love any insight into crossing the Gulf Stream and where to head first...what I do know is NOT to cross when there's a North wind...and to time the departure so the arrival is during daylight hours. Beyond that, I'm still learning and listening and reading and researching.

Thank you all for your insights...now that we've got Sandy Pause, it's time to explore and spend time together! :-)

Cheers,
Congratulations. I suppose there was a slight budget overrun involved
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 20:42   #34

Yes - a tad higher than the initial $200k budget, but figured it was the right boat at the right price with many intangibles that all added up to us pulling the trigger and buying s/v Sandy Pause! One of the most valuable 'intangibles' was the previous owners' willingness to share his knowledge and insight on a 5-day delivery/shakedown cruise from Punta Gorda to Fort Lauderdale. And 24-7 phone support! ;-) Bill, if you read this somehow, "THANK YOU!"

I'll try to attach a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At the Helm.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	174913   Click image for larger version

Name:	We Made It!.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	174914  

Name:	Name 1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	174915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main 1st Sail .jpg
Views:	173
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	174916  

Name:	Haul Out - Survey & Sea Trial.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	174917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awww - Piper & Lilly.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	174918  

Name:	Taking Possession in Punta Gorda.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	174919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada Day Manicure.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	174920  

Old 04-08-2018, 21:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmclean View Post
Adam - you did it man! Love the new boat! Missed you at the beer can race yesterday!

Josh, Josh, Josh...we can THANK YOU enough for your wisdom, guidance, and calm encouragement. We would NEVER be where we are today without you...really.

Josh McLean, a friend and fellow member at Hillsboro Inlet Sailing Club, was all set to act as our broker in our boat search. But before he could get started we stumbled upon s/v Sandy Pause, for sale by owner, came to an agreement with the sellers, and gave a small deposit. From there, we had NO idea what to do next. Josh counseled both us and the sellers, drafted a purchase agreement, referred us to a documentation agent, set us up with Kate at Alliance Marine for insurance, and walked us through the entire process - right through and beyond closing. He also referred us to Dan of Island Nautical for new Doyle Sails and Felix of Navis Electronics, both who've been terrific.

If anyone is looking to list their boat or begin their search for a new yacht, Josh McLean of David Walters Yachts is the most humble, honest, passionate, patient, and capable broker on the planet. Give him a call and he'll get 'er done - he's got offices in Florida & Annapolis.
Old 15-08-2018, 16:55   #36

Congrats! Great Story
Rontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:54   #37

Congratulation to you. I have been reading your posts from the start of your search. I saw your boat when it was Cool Cat. Beautiful boat. Looked immaculate.
I think it’s awesome that your finally doing it. Best of Luck! And safe sailing.

I Posted a few days ago about the beginning of our journey in the search of our soon to be cruising home. We just went under agreement with the sale of our house and are heading down to Pompano Beach, FL after the closing and our daughter’s wedding on or about Sept. 21 or possibly before if we find something. I will definitely look up Josh.

In the meantime I hope to get some response of any cruisers getting ready to sell.

Maybe we can do a meet up if the timing coincides. I’d love to talk to you about your experience getting to where your at now.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote