Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 16:22   #31

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: What boat is this?

I agree she is a pretty boat.

Regarding the arch, there are folks around who live on their boats and may need the big solar array and it's power for various reasons.
We don't know the owner, but they surely had a valid reason why they decided to add such a large panel. We simply don't know. Cut them some slack.

Regarding the looks, yes it might be nicer without, but I feel they did a reasonable good effort to solve their power problem. The arch could be much much more ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Not sure why someone would want to ruin a pretty nice boat with that huge solar panel and arch.

But I guess some of these do it yourselfers can't help themselves.

There are folks on here daily with a "better" idea !?
Old 11-06-2021, 16:28   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I agree she is a pretty boat.

Regarding the arch, there are folks around who live on their boats and may need the big solar array and it's power for various reasons.
We don't know the owner, but they surely had a valid reason why they decided to add such a large panel. We simply don't know. Cut them some slack.

Regarding the looks, yes it might be nicer without, but I feel they did a reasonable good effort to solve their power problem. The arch could be much much more ugly.
Get a condo. It's easier if you need that much power.

No need to ruin a boat's sailing abilities and well as it's appearance with one gigantic monstrosity attached to the stern section.

I'm wondering what occurs with that boat when the wind gets up to say gale strength
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:43   #33

Boat: Pearson P-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...Not all older boats like this, with longer overhangs, hobby horse. A good designer knows what beam, hull shape and bottom configurations contribute to hobby horsing. I owned a 30ft Garden design that hobby horsed terribly. I also owned a Ted Hood Blackwatch 37 that was steady as a freight train. There is a lot to a boat that your eye just does not see. The placement of the weight is a huge factor.
It would be like me saying that long waterline, flat bottom boats will cause the fillings in your teeth to fall out. Again, it depends who designed it.
As a relative newbie, I am curious to better understand this. Is the design of the Alberg 37 notorious for hobby-horsing?
The boat has many of the typical CCA design characteristics, but nothing seems to particularly stand out. And, although I understand that there are a lot of opinions on the interpretation of the Brewer ratio, it does score quite high on this.
Old 13-12-2021, 07:45   #34

Boat: Pearson P-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...I'm wondering what occurs with that boat when the wind gets up to say gale strength
It might be difficult to put a reef in the solar panel arch...
Old 13-12-2021, 22:47   #35

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

That boat is "Pancho." It is an Alberg 37 with an electric auxiliary. I believe there are 720 watts of solar on that arch. They have done an insane amount of work on that boat. One thing I have learned in my life is that people love calling other people's babies ugly. Even people with ugly babies.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 11:16   #36

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I have no problem calling myself homely (north american, not british definition), my kids ugly, other folks kids ugly, even babies ugly, AND on that note...the appendage on the stern takes this classic sailboat to another place, that is as far from Herreshoff as I am from Brad Pitt!
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat