Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 18:57   #61

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Don’t know if anyone can answer your question. Guess is all of those boats would take more punishment than you or me are willing to endure. My personal experience is that it is all about weather and corresponding sea conditions. And the patience to wait for good weather. Furthermore, the nastiest sea conditions exist where there is current with the opportunity for opposing wind. Also know folks that shipped they’re boat to the Med (obviously have way more $ than me). All of that said, my wife and I originally had long ocean passages in mind, but have found that extended watch standing is not for us and have opted for Van Zant’s Thornless Path. By the way his book “A Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South” is well worth the read.
Oh my. Just checked Amazon. Van Zant’s book appears to be out of print. Can still get a used one, but expensive. Sad state of affairs. This book has been the Bible for a generation of cruisers.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 19:13   #62

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Oh my. Just checked Amazon. Van Zant’s book appears to be out of print. Can still get a used one, but expensive. Sad state of affairs. This book has been the Bible for a generation of cruisers.
Sorry, spoke too soon. See web site thornlesspath.com.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:27   #63

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I was trying to keep in mind the approx. budget that OP stated. I was cueing off of the boats that he mentioned, since he didn't really tell us what his sailing experience is, what his intended use will be, or what his definition of "blue water" is.

The boats I picked, I think are better "blue water" boats than what he was looking at, they may also be higher priced. At his budget, he's going to have to compromise on something, if not a few things.

Depending on what/where he actually plans on sailing, he may be better off buying a production boat.
Not sure what dictionary we are using on this site but I'm thinking everything listed here is indeed a production boat. Using the term to veil biases is misleading. So Patrick Laines Bavaria 40 is what you had in mind. Too bad no one informed Patrick of his imminent demise.

Buy the boat you love in the price range you can. The best source of information is obviously the past owner or owners. My boat has been to the far side of the world and back and is still doing fine and it is very much a production boat. We'd all love our Rassys etc but reality is a bi*ch.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:07   #64

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Not sure what dictionary we are using on this site but I'm thinking everything listed here is indeed a production boat. Using the term to veil biases is misleading. So Patrick Laines Bavaria 40 is what you had in mind. Too bad no one informed Patrick of his imminent demise.

Buy the boat you love in the price range you can. The best source of information is obviously the past owner or owners. My boat has been to the far side of the world and back and is still doing fine and it is very much a production boat. We'd all love our Rassys etc but reality is a bi*ch.
I hardly think that I'm the one setting the standard terminology for sailboats on the internet. Pretending that there is not a common usage of the terms "blue water cruiser" and "production boat" in the sailing world (at least online) is a bit silly and disingenuous. The OP was asking about "blue water" boats, he listed a few boats that he was looking at, I took my cues from that and did a quick look at boats on yachtworld that fit that general criteria which I thought might be better picks.

That being said, I definitely know that many many people sail "production" boats all over the world to areas and into conditions that many people never take their "blue water" boats to. And I also know that if you can accept that fact and are willing to include them in your search, that there is a lot of inventory and value out there.

Can I stop using quotations now?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:44   #65

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts333 View Post
I have had a great time emailing lots of you guys with questions and advice...we have now narrowed some of the search down to gulfstar 50, Wauquiez 43, morgan marek 45, and maybe a moody 425, bristol, or CT if i spend a bit more....our intention if coastal cruising from Texas to florida and carribbean but she would like to be able to sail to europe and the med in afew years. I am retired and we work part time. Plan is to sail 6-9 months, work a few months and repeat.
Ive had some great input here and realize we may have to purchase an older boat and refit it over time...not a problem. I restored antique vehicles and planes before....boats are EASY!!
My question for the more seasoned in our gallery: which of these boats can coastal cruise but also handle deep water crossings (atlantic, not cape horn!)
I eliminated the Irwin as it is a good boat but has some short comings in this area....I think i have my personal list as :
1-Moody
2-Bristol
3-Wauquiez
4-Gulfstar
5/6-CT or Morgan..its a tie.
Thoughts?
1 - Moody - would be my first choice. In fact is was my first choice before purchasing my Contest (at twice the price...), but the seller just didn't want to sell...
2 - Bristol is well made serious boat. While a lift keel has advantages, serving it is problematic - I would skip it.
3 - Vauquiez - Great! Would be my second choice
4 - Gulfstar, Morgan etc. Not amazing sailers and I'm not crazy about their interior woodwork quality and other things.

Narrowing your search is a good thing, yet, keep your eyes open - especially at this time of the year and economic downturn, you should see a lot of boats coming into the market.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Gulfstar had 2 different 50's. The GS50 aux and the Sailmaster. The Sailmaster was a motorsailor.

The GS50 Aux is able to do 175 nm days as noted in John Kretschmer's "Used Boat Notebook".

With the GS50 there are 2 ways to go about it. 1) pick up a boat that needs a refit / rebuild for a low price or 2) pick up a boat that has already had the refit done.

We are just finishing up option 1 on our GS50. If option 2 is your choice I know that Calypso is for sale https://www.gulfstar50.com/

Also, you can take a look at the GS50 Facebook pages.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/112929912064450

When considering what boat to get for our extended cruising plans I did consider the KP44/46. Nice boat. There is one in our moorage. From discussion there appears to be just as much to refit/rebuild on the KP44 as there is on a GS50. Just in different places. Tanks anyone?

If I had a few more $$ to spend I would have a Sundeer.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:32   #67

You should be able to get a decent Swan 391 for that price but remember it is only the starting point and you will need time and money to maintain it.
svkatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:45   #68

Hi, suggest you look at a SWAN 46 which has a great aft cabin but the deck ergonomics favor a largish crew. A similar length Beneteau or Jeanneau has a great forward cabin; not quite as comfortable when underway but superior deck ergonomics. I have sailed all three. The SWAN is a great sailor as are the others. In particular, the Beneteau as a modified cutter points like you would not believe especially in light airs.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:51   #69

Boat: Figment 40

Keep in mind that glass boats last a very long time, while systems don't last very long at all. Rigging should be replaced periodically depending on the use, maintenance and environment. A 200k vessel with tired systems, high engine hours and risky rigging is probably worth less than 100k. But the owner won't think that because of all the labels on the systems and what was paid for those names. On your budget you may have to go smaller, take on some projects.

Good luck. Hardin 45 is a great live aboard for a couple. Hire a broker
eddiestubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:20   #70

Boat: Rhodes 41

I sail a 1979 Cascade 42 HS. The aft cabin is a full sized bed so a little smaller than a queen. But my wife and I find it is plenty big enough for the two of us. She was cared for and loved by the previous owners but she still needed some work done. Mostly rigging, chainplates and a new main. Things that need to be replaced occasionally anyway. But all in, I'm under $30k invested. I'm going to update the galley when I get around to it.

Anyway, my point is, you might have to make a few compromises, you might have to do some work, but you can easily find a worthy boat in your price range.
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:57   #71

You need to increase your budget!
Check out Www.ladyrebel.co.uk
Kencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:03   #72

Boat: searching for my next one

I owned and lived aboard a Gulfstar 41 for several years.
I liked it a lot, only sold it because i moved from the east coast to Hawaii and a Panama canal transit wasn't a good option.
It took me about 10 minutes to convert the aft cabin v-berth to accommodate my queen size mattress
nekkidsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:59   #73

I’m a fan of Hallberg Rassy as well. If you are older you may want to consider the 36 Mk ll. It won’t have a washer dryer and most likely not a Water Maker. But in the low $100,000 range you can pick up a 1999 or 2000. One was offered at $118 recently and was sold.

It costs you nothing to have a broker as long as you re buying from a broker offered boat. The Selling broker will keep the commission if the buyer is represented by a broker.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:28   #74

for your consideration: look up Rubicon Yachts, a broker in San Francisco. They have a listing that may interest you.
nportcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:17   #75

Boat: Presently between vessels

Your budget seems a little low. This is what you want. We are nearing a deal to a buyer so hurry on over.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/hans-christian-48t-3579244/
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water