Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 12:47   #16

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Old Boat, New Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Three Sheets , I have a Morgan 384 and use a regular anchor of a 33 Bruise 40 chain 200 rode
storm anchor a 45 Rocha 200 ft chain
What kind of windless do you have ?
I think 65 lbs CQR is way overkill
St nick Tarpon Springs / WindRose

I think any weight CQR is probably inadequate. (/snark - of all the 2nd generation brand name anchors, this is probably the most reliable to slide virtually forever in the right conditions; a cinder block of the same weight would probably be as safe)

On the other hand, unless you carry it in the bilge in the center, I don't understand why your Rocna 45 isn't your primary. It quite possibly could be the only anchor you'll ever need for a M384. I presume you mean a 20kg (44 pounds)...

We likely should have selected that one for our boat; having mistakenly bought larger, we accommodated it, but it does put extra stress on our bow gear...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:10   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
. . . .

And I'd say guess that at only 6,800lb (fully laden) and 24'X9' beam I have the smallest boat on CF. . . .
I haven't hit the trail yet but I got you by 4' and 3700lb.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:11   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
I'm sorry I should have been a bit more specific in my question , I meant I'm looking at a Mantus 65lb Anchor.
I just got back from the Seven Seas Cruising Association annual meeting.

Among other things, I had some quality time with fellow cruiser I'd known for some time, who is now also a Mantus Rep.

One of the reasons I go to these meetings is to learn something, and I learned that if I had to do it over again, I'd have gotten a Mantus rather than my (agreed to be excellent) Rocna.

I'll save the technical discussion for bandwidth, but it suffices to say that there are meaningful differences which make the Mantus more likely to bite, and to clear debris and, if you were so inclined, and wanted to stow it (such as on a trans-pacific passage), you can take it apart to flat pieces (and, of course, individually easier to handle weights).

However, as to sizing, I found that the Mantus recommended size is even heavier than the Rocna (which, I discovered, has apparently changed since we purchased, as what we have is now the recommended size/weight for our boat's length and weight).

Given that, my initial cautions about your boat's ability to handle the weight is even more important. What I get out of reading both sites' recommendations is that most boats' anchor launch and retrieval systems are probably subject to damage in heavy conditions (where the stresses likely would approach what you find with the heavier anchors in deployment and recovery).

A real eye-opener for me, both this weekend, and, now that I'm back in internet land, getting current details from both manufacturers.

FWIW, there is an entirely different argument about swivels (do or don't), and the Mantus swivel is quite a piece of engineering, overcoming any objections I've ever heard; I use a shackle to avoid side loading on my AnchorLift major swivel, but theirs incorporates one as part of the design. As well, you can take it entirely apart if you want to inspect it.

I'm impressed.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:18   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If I had to do it over again, I'd likely have gone with a Mantus myself
I was a very early adopter of their swivel, and I can't find a weak spot to it, it's the only swivel that I have seen that I would use, although I'm sure there are many that I have not seen.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:38   #20

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I haven't hit the trail yet but I got you by 4' and 3700lb.
Sorry 'bout that Adelie. Perhaps as a qualifier I should have added : and have lived aboard, on the hook, 24 x 7 for 7 years.
Brian.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:32   #21

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

yes your right i have a Rocna 20 G . My rocna is chain 5/16 my bruise 33 is a great anchor never drug always digs in . with the Rocna i have to set up the bridle and its a hassel . I can depend on the bruse fast and easy !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 08:41   #22

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Our boat is 23,000 lbs naked, but we have 175 gallons of water and 200 gallons of diesel and we cruise with a lot of stuff, and we have a 90 pound Lab onboard. I have fractured the L-1 thru L-5 and S-1 3 times and have had two major surgeries on my right shoulder nd I am old and have arthritis in nearly all of me, but, my windlass is young and strong. So, we were at the top of the West Marine and various other anchor sizing charts for our boat and I went 2 over. We have a 55 lb Rocna on 300 feet of 5/16" chain. We have stuck like we were glued there 45 knots a few times and with the anchor alarm on on our chartplotter I sleep like an old sore insomniac. And that is all I get anywhere, so we always feel safe. A few years ago we were anchored in Balandra, near La Paz BCS, in about 8 feet of water ( we draw 5') and a 40 kt. Corumel came up at midnight, blowing directly towards the shallows and beach directly behind us. The fetch is only maybe 10 miles there so the windwaves were about 2 foot sometimes a little more but many breaking on our bow. I got up and sat in the pilothouse and started the engine, then I reset the anchor alarm for about 10 feet, and I always right down the coordinates on a pad next to the chartplotter anyway, so I sat for half an hour watching. We didn't move an inch backwards. At that point I shut off the engine and slept on the settee where I could hear the alarm better. Long story longer, we never moved. We also have a 45 lb CQR with 100 feet of 5/16 s and 250 feet of nylon on the bow and a Bruce and some old kind of galvanized fishermans anchor on the stern. The only other anchor I intend to find a place for is one of those homemade Mexican rebar grapnel anchors. Really good in rocks, and disposible if stuck.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 13:40   #23

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

Thanks for all yur input. I see they also make a 55lb. might be better for me? I'll see the rep at the MBS and pick one up. If I can lift it?
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 14:12   #24

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I think any weight CQR is probably inadequate. (/snark - of all the 2nd generation brand name anchors, this is probably the most reliable to slide virtually forever in the right conditions; a cinder block of the same weight would probably be as safe)

On the other hand, unless you carry it in the bilge in the center, I don't understand why your Rocna 45 isn't your primary. It quite possibly could be the only anchor you'll ever need for a M384. I presume you mean a 20kg (44 pounds)...

We likely should have selected that one for our boat; having mistakenly bought larger, we accommodated it, but it does put extra stress on our bow gear...
Yes WindRose storm anchor is a 20G Rona bb44 lbs sure feels like 45 LBS
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 13:02   #25

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

I was also looking into replacing our CQR and came across a guy on You Tube. He uses the moniker SV Panope. What he did was take a bunch of anchors and attached a Go Pro to a float attached to each anchor he tested by a length if line. you could see each anchor drop to the bottom and set, or not set, whichever the case may be. Once set he would purposely drive over each anchor several times and try to trip the anchor. After that he would see if the anchors would reset or just drag. I have to say the results were pretty surprising, but I was able to make a much more informed decision on what anchor to purchase for our 38' ketch. I highly recommend anyone trying to decide on a make and or type of anchor to watch these tests.
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 13:22   #26

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Luke View Post
I was also looking into replacing our CQR and came across a guy on You Tube. He uses the moniker SV Panope. What he did was take a bunch of anchors and attached a Go Pro to a float attached to each anchor he tested by a length if line. you could see each anchor drop to the bottom and set, or not set, whichever the case may be. Once set he would purposely drive over each anchor several times and try to trip the anchor. After that he would see if the anchors would reset or just drag. I have to say the results were pretty surprising, but I was able to make a much more informed decision on what anchor to purchase for our 38' ketch. I highly recommend anyone trying to decide on a make and or type of anchor to watch these tests.
Panope you say? Never heard of him.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:50   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Panope ➥ Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Panope

Videos of Anchors Setting ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-155412-5.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:42   #28

[IMG]www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/75950all[/IMG] We just purchased a 50# Sarca Excel for our 38 Shannon Ketch from Ground Tackle Marine in British Columbia to replace our 35# CQR. We will let you guys know this summer how it works for us.
Old 25-02-2017, 13:44   #29

Well that didn't work out too well. I tried to post a picture of our anchor but failed.
Old 26-02-2017, 06:29   #30

Boat: Kaufman 47

We just picked up our Mantus from their shop in Kemah, Texas. For our 47'x13'9" Kaufman 47 cutter that weighs 30k light, we got the Mantus 85lb. It's a beast looking at it but I think it will look fine on Redemption once we build the anchor roller. We also purchased their swivel that's for the 3/8" g40 chain we'll have.

We can't wait to use it, but right now where we are and not having the windlass installed, we use our Fortress FX-37. It works great in our muck and sandy clay bottoms here in New Orleans.

Regards,
Ronnie Click image for larger version

Name:	0224171323a.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	142003
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor