Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 12:39   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 39i - Serica
re: Arrived Safe -Any yachts currently on passage westbound to Marquesas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You could report him past due (66 days certainly counts!) and see if SAR resources can put out notice to shipping traffic to be on watch for him. Im not sure who appropriate authorities are in this case.

Does he have an EPIRB or similar that he might set off if he were in trouble?

Do you have access to SSB/HAM? If so, you could try nets in the area or someone here could relay.
Thanks for your reply. Barry is an ex Lifeboatman from Plymouth UK and his formal shoreside reporting/contact is being coordinated by his former colleagues from Plymouth Lifeboat.

I believe that his status will be escalated in next few hours.

Yes he has at least 2 Epirbs on board which have not been activated.

I personally do not have any SSB/HAM, but if someone does have such knowledge and equipment that could do attempt contact that would be good, but regrettably I do not know if the SSB that I believe Barry has, is operational or in commission. I do not have any call sign other than the MMSI and VHF above.

Many thanks to all

Malcolm
Serica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:43   #17

Re: URGENT : Anyone currently near the Marqueses?

Why start a new thread, when one already exists?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 13:54   #18

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why start a new thread, when one already exists?
I believe Serica was attempting to start a new thread in another forum, but instead the message wound up posting in this one. He only has 11 posts, and they're all in this thread.

It certainly couldn't hurt to begin another thread in another sub-forum, I for one only saw this thread because it was in the Daily Cruiser email as a new thread. I'm sure there are hundreds of people on here who don't routinely read this particular forum. Who's to say there isn't somebody on the board right now, in another forum, who talked with Barry a few days back, and can provide at least that bit of news to those who care? It's not like some troll starting multiple threads about the "best blue water boat" or similar drivel.

Hang in there Malcolm, and the rest of the Perrins family!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:15   #19

Is there any "pin to top" function on these boards? Would be nice to put this front and center so everyone gets a chance to see it.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:16   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

boats on the passage panama to marquises are quite often very badly effected by goose neck barnacles if their antifouling is ineffective,so i would not think,that only being able to make 2-3 knots is abnormal if as a single hander he has not been able to jump over the side and clean the bottom.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
I believe Serica was attempting to start a new thread in another forum, but instead the message wound up posting in this one. He only has 11 posts, and they're all in this thread.

It certainly couldn't hurt to begin another thread in another sub-forum, I for one only saw this thread because it was in the Daily Cruiser email as a new thread. I'm sure there are hundreds of people on here who don't routinely read this particular forum. Who's to say there isn't somebody on the board right now, in another forum, who talked with Barry a few days back, and can provide at least that bit of news to those who care? It's not like some troll starting multiple threads about the "best blue water boat" or similar drivel.

Hang in there Malcolm, and the rest of the Perrins family!
Thank you indeed for that supportive comment, really appreciated.

I most certainly did not intend to breach bureaucratic rules, that are clearly so important. I fully admit I am a relatively new poster and should have studied the detail of the Rules more, but simplistically I saw that there was a separate board "Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea" so it seemed eminently sensible in the current potential life threatening situation to post there in addition to the "Emergency, Disaster and Distress" section to ensure readers with a local interest/knowledge in the Pacific could see the request.

I have also received a warning from the moderator as I was presumably reported by "Shrew" for rule infringement and the moderator has now deleted my secondary "Pacific & South China Sea" thread and merged the remnant into this thread so my request is no longer shown in a Geographic specific part of the forum as I had hoped.

But many thanks indeed for all the suggestions and concern from those who are supportive.

Malcolm
Old 08-02-2019, 14:24   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

His vessel was needing antifoul before he left Panama and I seem to remember that he cleaned it but the paint had given up already so he would have a problem for sure. He seems to have some very slow passages but this is extreme. He will have a good story to tell for sure. Great sense of humour has Barry, hope he's OK though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
His vessel was needing antifoul before he left Panama and I seem to remember that he cleaned it but the paint had given up already so he would have a problem for sure. He seems to have some very slow passages but this is extreme. He will have a good story to tell for sure. Great sense of humour has Barry, hope he's OK though.
Yes indeed, thanks for that, he was going to give Shadow another scrub by diving at Las Perlas, but like you expect he is towing an octopuses garden by now.

I will of course report news as soon as I get an update from the coastguard. Thank you for all your support. Malcolm
Old 08-02-2019, 14:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
boats on the passage panama to marquises are quite often very badly effected by goose neck barnacles if their antifouling is ineffective,so i would not think,that only being able to make 2-3 knots is abnormal if as a single hander he has not been able to jump over the side and clean the bottom.
Yes I am sure that is part of the problem at least. Not sure what current around the Marquesas would be this time of year? maybe 1 knot?
Old 08-02-2019, 14:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Is there any "pin to top" function on these boards? Would be nice to put this front and center so everyone gets a chance to see it.
That would be really helpful, great suggestion.
Old 08-02-2019, 14:47   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serica View Post
Yes I am sure that is part of the problem at least. Not sure what current around the Marquesas would be this time of year? maybe 1 knot?
yes he can expect between 12 -24 miles a day in favourable current,their should have been plenty of rainfall crossing the ITCZ,and goose neck barnacles can be a real problem,growing very rapidly to about 3cm long, densley covering the entire underwater hull as the boat crossed the colder water near to the galapagos.

friends took 75 days on one trip ,purists on a 50ft yacht, they refused to start the engine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:56   #27

Quote:
yes he can expect between 12 -24 miles a day in favourable current,their should have been plenty of rainfall crossing the ITCZ,and goose neck barnacles can be a real problem,growing very rapidly to about 3cm long, densley covering the entire underwater hull as the boat crossed the colder water near to the galapagos.

friends took 75 days on one trip ,purists on a 50ft yacht, they refused to start the engine
That is reassuring, thank you. The Windy forecasts have been showing quite a lot of rain recently, so I am not overly worried about his drinking water reserves. He too also avoids starting the engine, so inevitably will be a slow passage, but his daily averages seems to have significantly reduced in past few weeks, but I don't have a full daily log.
Old 08-02-2019, 15:00   #28

Good point - there's no doubt Barry's boat is not the fastest, even with a clean bottom. May just be very slow progress and he's dragging half the vegetation of the pacific along with him.

Quote:

B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 16:06   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 1990 model Seduction of Melbourne

Hi Malcom....Aussie sailor here also concerned about Barry long time follower of his wanderings ...thoughts to him
timjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 16:42   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serica View Post

I personally do not have any SSB/HAM, but if someone does have such knowledge and equipment that could do attempt contact that would be good, but regrettably I do not know if the SSB that I believe Barry has, is operational or in commission. I do not have any call sign other than the MMSI and VHF above.

Many thanks to all

Malcolm

I was thinking of SSB/HAM as a means of checking in with cruiser "nets" (radio networks) in the region. They could then broadcast the BOLO ("Be On The Lookout") for this vessel on their nets. Anyone who spotted him could try VHF contact and/or come along side.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, marquesas, passage, yacht