Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2019, 19:57   #151

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Bahamas Hurricane Relief by Cruisers

We will be splashing Her Diamond right after Thanksgiving (currently on the hard in Port Charlotte) and heading to Dry Tortugas, Marathon then Exumas. Looking to spend latter part of winter or spring in Abacos helping with recovery. Still trying to find out if ECC (Every Child Counts) School in Marsh Harbor is in need of assistance rebuilding.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 19:58   #152
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I haven't actually read about a navigation problem since the hurricane hit and the first aid ship arrived, so probably that info you are getting is not good. There are sunk things in the harbors though.

As for need, I found that reading Facebook posts helped to zero in. There are probably 50 active aid groups there right now. It just depends on what you want to do.

Are you not interested in the project I have suggested? If not, I'd be interested in why.
Old 26-10-2019, 20:03   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
Still trying to find out if ECC (Every Child Counts) School in Marsh Harbor is in need of assistance rebuilding.
Boy, I would sure guess so. Have you searched Facebook?

Oh, never mind, I did it.
https://www.facebook.com/ECCAbaco/

Sounds like they are working on it. The group All Hands and Hearts is mentioned in a lot of the Facebook posts.
Old 27-10-2019, 05:05   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you would like to help the Every Child Counts Program please call:
1 (242) 367-2505
or Email: eccabaco.bs@gmail.com

Every Child Counts
P.O. Box AB20085
Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas

Every Child Counts Abaco Bahamas devastated by Hurricane Dorian - Every Child Counts Abaco Bahamas

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 06:08   #155

These are the main Facebook pages I follow if anyone is interested in whats going on and who is doing it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/929753750421644/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oper...ildandrestore/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/481196102716515/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/495049037962870/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383145409068732/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484863691810339/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2371398969634419/

https://www.facebook.com/HTVFR/

https://www.facebook.com/Abaco-Bulle...5450222540667/
Old 14-11-2019, 15:41   #156

Boat: Leopard 39, 38'

Palarran, GordMay and others - Just wanted to say thank you for all the homework you've done to find agencies and opportunities to help The Bahamas recover from hurricane Dorian.
We're headed over in mid-December and hope to spend nearly a week helping out. Now we've found lots of options!

Great work!
Mark & Sharon on S/V Calypso
smnsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 16:15   #157

Boat: Freedom 38

Thank you. We will follow up with ECC
BOB & Sheila
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 03:37   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark & Sharon.

Palarran has been our leader in organizing & publicizing the relief efforts.
All kudos to David.

Old 24-11-2019, 08:32   #159

Good Morning Everyone.

Here is an update on the last few weeks. We arrived in Freeport November 5th to launch Palarran. I was able to rent a car without a problem. We stayed on Palarran at the Bradford Marine yard but there are a few hotels open in Lucaya. The area has recovered amazingly quickly. We went to Lucaya twice for lunch and dinner and honestly you wouldn't be able to tell it was hit by a hurricane except there isn't anyone there. Of course, tourism was very low beforehand anyway. There would be zero reason to not visit Lucaya by boat or plane. We anchored off of West End waiting for a midnight crossing to Palm Beach but didn't go into the harbor. We didn't see a single mast or boat large enough to count in the harbor. But I'd assume there isn't a reason to avoid West End either.

We spent two weeks doing work on the boat to prepare for the season. I added 1325 watts of solar and based on a quick observation I'll now be fully powered by it except the watermaker. Palarran had sustained some minor damage from flying debris which was repaired so except for a torn stack pack, we're good to go.

The group at Treasure Cay is now called 25 United. It was formed when Operation 300 left TC. The truth of the situation is that I've had a real hard time connecting with a group due to either poor communication or rapidly changing circumstances. We will start here and if for some reason the situation is not what we expect, there are a ton of groups on other Cays or settlements. Palarran will leave Lake Worth / Palm Beach Shores December 3rd or 4th and will leave the Abacos around the 20th. My reasoning for TC is still pretty valid though as we will be able to safely leave Palarran while we work and have access to Maxwell's if needed. Everyday more and more businesses are reopening in the Abacos and I'd expect that will help with everything.

Almost all the individuals that had expressed interest in joining me have canceled due to various reasons. Fortunately, a Canadian friend from BC came up with three journeymen carpenters who were up for the task. He purchased their tickets and I'm of course going to sponsor all their expenses once they join us in Palm Beach. So there are 6 of us for the two week duration and that's a fair sized crew. We are going to hit a Home Depot and buy all the tools we think we will need and plan to just leave them when we are done. Palarran could really use a good cook, so if anyone reading this wants to join the efforts doing this for our group, send me a PM.

I do hope other cruisers will visit the areas this season. Going to Lucaya would be like visiting there before Dorian so no worries. Going to the Abacos will for sure be much different and I'd suggest that if you are only going to "cruise" and spend some dollars, you would be better off donating to one of the charities instead and heading to another part of the Bahamas. It's kind of like rubbernecking a wreck, it doesn't help anything but slows down traffic. But the Cays are opening back up and could really use a helping hand PLUS a few boat bucks.
Old 24-11-2019, 08:39   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having read your report, it's a much better morning.
Thank you very much, David! For everything you're doing.

Old 27-11-2019, 07:55   #161

Boat: Leopard 39, 38'

David (et. al.) -

We will be heading from West Palm Beach area to Grand Bahama on or about Dec 16 aboard S/V Calypso. We plan to help out with World Central Kitchens in Freeport for a few days.

We're thinking of checking in at West End. Has anyone checked into West End since Dorian?

The week of Christmas, we'll either head to the Abacos or elsewhere in The
Bahamas depending on whatever reports we can learn from. Since we're not skilled craftsman, not sure how much help we can be. We have also had a lot of difficulty actually contacting people in relief efforts.

We'll look forward to reports from the Abacos!

Mark & Sharon
S/V Calypso
smnsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 08:13   #162

Hello Mark and Sharon,
That's great that you are heading over to help. WCK did an unbelievable job of providing food immediately after the hurricane. They really are a top notch NGO.

Since the beginning Customs and Immigration has been open at West End so I don't think that will change. I believe you can also clear into Port Lucaya directly. Call Fabian at the Grand Bahama Yacht Club, he will help you. Or, check here:
https://www.oldbahamabayresorts.com/customs-immigration

It really shouldn't be a big problem with not being skilled construction workers. From what I've read, they have plenty of projects to keep all of busy.

Man, do I wish that the weather forecast would stay the same for next week. We would have an awesome downwind run leaving Palm Beach on the 4th. Hope to see you around. David.

For a list of all the things open in the Abacos:
https://littlehousebytheferry.com/whatsopeninabaco/
Old 27-11-2019, 09:27   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark & Sharon.
Good on ya!

Old 27-11-2019, 12:21   #164

Was in to West End earlier in the week. Marina and customs are fully up and running.

We're now in the Berries with no signs of damage, for whatever that's worth.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 16:24   #165

Here is our update for this week. We left Lake Worth on Dec. 4th very early and made a motor crossing to West End. There was one small trawler clearing in when we arrived and other than that, no other boats. The marina and resort looks absolutely fine. Old Bahama Bay has been in financial turmoil for several years so this isn't going to help at all. After clearing in we set sail for the south side of Abaco. Unfortunately the wind didn't cooperate and we ended up dropping sails at sunset and motoring through the night. There was a ton of freighter and cruise ship traffic in the channel. We arrived the next afternoon via Tillaho Cut to the south side of Elbow Cay. Starting just North of Cherokee you could see the damage to land and homes. We didn't encounter any floating debris or any unusual shoaling, in fact, it was just as I remembered from this last April.

Hope Town is pretty bad. There really isn't anything else to say about it but DANG. We arrived in time to talk to one of the community organizers that evening and then had a drink at On da Beach, which has been opened for several weeks.

There are 6 of us on Palarran. Three are journeymen carpenters who flew from Fort St. John, British Columbia, my daughter, cousin, and myself. The first day we could work, Friday, we rebuilt a dock for a local named Captain Stafford Plugg. His house is badly damaged but his mothers (80) lost her's and is living with them. She struggled to get in his boat so we built a lower level for her and braced the old dock. We finished that on Saturday and then proceeded to finish the roof of the library by putting the balance of the plywood up and ice and water shield. The guys ripped through that. The windows and doors are supposed to come next week so we hope to be able to install those.

Tomorrow we are going to a locals home to tear off the old roof, patch about 7 sheets of plywood, and put the roof shield up. They are going to use this home to house some of the relief workers as it has a working generator. Actually there is a 12' x 12' shed sitting upside down on the generator but it apparently did start so much to my enjoyment I'm going to knock the heck out of that shed tomorrow with a sledge hammer. This will take about 3 days for our crew and they have two more similar projects lined up for us afterwards.

We haven't been here long enough to fully understand the dynamic's of what is happening here. They do believe that a fair number of cruisers are going to come and help them. Currently there are about 10 boats in the harbor and we are the only one doing relief work besides True North, which is a professional NGO. The captain of True North said only one other boat has come since they arrived like us, with workers who can and are doing something.

I bring this up because as I posted before and still believe, it is too early to just come here to "cruise". It really will not help the economy or the community in any significant way but does take away resources that are needed for working crews. Probably in another 3 months this wouldn't create any issue. But there is no reason for a cruiser to not come here and provide working aid.

Tags
Bahamas, cruise, cruiser, fun, hurricane, men