Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 07:17   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Boat on the Beach Destin Florida Oct 21 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
was the anchor undersized for the boat ? Even if it didn't bite, you'd think that as the boat drags into shallower water the effective scope gets bigger and it would catch.
CQR ?
Old 23-10-2017, 08:26   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
He was given the impression that everything was going to be sorted. I can certainly see that he wasn't going to move mountains to be there during daylight on Friday. I got the impression that he made arrangements to see the boat, just not as an emergency rush trip.
His whole screed on his website was that boatUS was responsible for his boat. They may be liable, but he's responsible for his boat. Maybe BoatUS had other urgent tows and his boat looked okay at the moment. I've certainly waited for a tow before due to others' more pressing needs. I guess I just didn't like his representation of the situation.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:31   #18

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
He got the call at 2 pm on Friday, the boat dragged at 9 am Saturday, per his account. That gives him 19 hours to have gotten to his boat in a very well-served part of the US. Not really sure why he wasn't there himself unless he was out of the country at the time.

For my part, I'm surprised towboat US offered to anchor his boat for him at all. That would seem to invite all sorts of liability issues. I would have thought 'tied up in a marina or nothing" would be the policy.

Regarding your soapbox, totally agree. If you own your business and are setting your own prices, I expect you to charge what you think you're worth. I know I do ...
I grew up in that area - I know it well. The bridge he was talking about is East Pass Bridge, which has only 49 feet clearance. The next inlet is 41 NM west at Pensacola Bay, or 43 NM east at St Andrews. But I'm with you on the question of why didn't he catch the very next flight to Fort Walton Beach, FL and get aboard his own boat. The reason someone quoted him $11K for the tow was probably because (aside from the fact they have you over a barrel at that point) is the tow boat would have to come out from Destin, tow the boat for 45+ miles, secure it in a marina, and return, so probably a 12 to 14 hour job, if not more. Still unreasonable, but then he would have his boat, versus a salvage operation. Also, why did he not call back repeatedly after 3PM to get in-progress updates on the tow?
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:07   #19

Boat: Hunter 37c

Just my two bits
I have sunk at sea and been the subject of a rescue. His excitability is familiar to me under that circumstance and I do sympathize with having to make the decision. I do not know why his anchor, which had been set by some friendly kayakers, did not hold. I'm pretty sure if he had flown down and jumped onto his boat he would have been in the same position he was in when he abandoned it, except now he would have the lee shore to contend with.
The verbal contract to tow and re-anchor his boat would be legally binding in many places under consumer law. Salvage claim excepted. I don't know how that plays out in Florida but I'm sure a lawyer is going to make some money out of this one.

I do think, if it was my boat, I would have been on the next available flight to push things along. On the other hand, I see a lot of people who leave their sails bent on and don't even go to Florida to set their boat up for hurricanes with 7 days warning.
Has Boat US. or Tow US. been asked by any advocacy group to explain their side of this story?
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:23   #20

Sorry to double up on this but I have just enlarged the photo "Steady Hand", posted.
To my eye it looks like there is a large CQR type anchor hanging off the bow roller with about a meter of chain showing.
If that is the case, could someone have purposely pulled that anchor in, to wreck the boat? Could it be that the kayakers did not put the anchor down?
More questions, I know, but if the anchor had been set and then raised purposely there is criminality involved. This also shows the importance of being on hand to mind as much of the proceedings as possible.
Old 23-10-2017, 11:46   #21

Boat: Trintella 4

Saw this one washed up on the beach in Greece a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_142935.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	158191   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_142945.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	158192  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_142815.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	158193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_143013.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	158194  

lifeboatcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:14   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautitrix View Post
Sorry to double up on this but I have just enlarged the photo "Steady Hand", posted.

To my eye it looks like there is a large CQR type anchor hanging off the bow roller with about a meter of chain showing.

If that is the case, could someone have purposely pulled that anchor in, to wreck the boat? Could it be that the kayakers did not put the anchor down?

More questions, I know, but if the anchor had been set and then raised purposely there is criminality involved. This also shows the importance of being on hand to mind as much of the proceedings as possible.

When my boat is at anchor, you will see a 25 Kg Rocna on the bow in a roller.
That is because she is being held fast by the 40 Kg Rocna that also sits on the bow on a roller
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:17   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 375

So the boat was abandoned off Sarasota and was able to drift on its own all the way to Destin? I'm confused.
I'm also confused about not being able to go under the bridge at Destin/Fort Walton. One of the world's best-protected anchorages, Destin harbor, is on the seaward side of the bridge. Now to be sure, the inlet leading up to the bridge and harbor can be very exciting in a strong onshore breeze.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:28   #24
cruiser

I still don't "get" how he abandoned the boat off Sarasota......???? so he just booked in the dinghy? He furled the sails before he left? He swam ashore? Tow boat came and got him?? UDCG advised him to abandon it out there??? Something very fishy here it stinks!! Please advise...........
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
When my boat is at anchor, you will see a 25 Kg Rocna on the bow in a roller.
That is because she is being held fast by the 40 Kg Rocna that also sits on the bow on a roller
I agree as I have a 35 kg Mantus on one and a 20 kg Delta lunch hook on the other. That does not change my mind on the photo as it looks like a 40 kg. CQR. hanging off the bow-roller.
I suppose it is possible that the helpful kayakers anchored the boat with a smaller anchor that has parted for some reason.
Old 23-10-2017, 16:00   #26

All you have to do is read the account or watch the video. He ABANDONED ship, being LIFTED in a basket by the USCG - yes off the coast of Sarasota. Wind/currents pushed it to Destin. Whether any of us understand exactly how that works, there’s little doubt where the rescue occurred or where the boat washed up.

Likewise, if was me, the reported first day conversations (and more importantly his reaction) is exactly what I would have had and same reaction - “Really??? You’ll send someone out to tow it to the closest marina?? Thanks so much!! What??? You can’t tow it there but will anchor it for me??? Wow, you guys are the best!! Thanks so much!! I’ll start making plans to get down there.” IIRC, he was making his plans to get down there as soon as reasonably possible the following day. Then he receives the reported second day conversations - and again, he reacts exactly like I think I would have - “What??? How can that be??? You said you were going to anchor it??? You didn’t call me to tell me that you didn’t anchor it??? I’m totally confused!!!”

I don’t know the guy and never even heard of him (since he only has 25 or so subscribers, apparently not many knew him). When I saw the report here, I went and read the article(s) and watched his videos. He’s experienced (Masters license) and seemed to be prepared for his trip. He thought he’d lost his boat -which was also his only home- when he was heading to Puerto Rico to help with the recovery, and his home/boat surprisingly and amazingly shows up in reasonably good shape a long way from where he was physically and mentally. He reacts like I think I would have, over and over again.

Geez, so many experts on this forum.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 16:32   #27
cruiser

......what is still unexplained is why and when he abandoned hi boat at sea----was it during the Hurricane? if so why was he out there by himself during a hurricane warning??? then he somehow booked to Puerto Rico 'to help them out" ............this dude is suspicious ly wacko........and where is the USCG incident report??
Old 23-10-2017, 16:47   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I still don't "get" how he abandoned the boat off Sarasota......???? so he just booked in the dinghy? He furled the sails before he left? He swam ashore? Tow boat came and got him?? UDCG advised him to abandon it out there??? Something very fishy here it stinks!! Please advise...........

I watched a few of his videos, because I find accounts of sinkings and wrecks instructive, and so I look for reasons and common aspects or unusual stories.

The following is added to answer a few questions, and is based on my recollection after watching a few of his videos (I fast forwarded through most of them) and a quick view of his website. Look to his site or videos for complete and more accurate account.

A synopsis:

He abandoned his boat.
He said in one video he could not get his engine to start. He said he bled the fuel lines.
He said he had a rip in his mainsail, which he temporarily fixed.
He showed a bent piece of standing rigging stainless hardware, that he says came from the the bow.
He said he had checked the cotter pin on the shackle, but it must have come out.
He said he was well prepared, with redundant systems and spare parts. He emphasized this, and repeated this statement several times.
He had a vhf radio, but had problems using it.
He had a cel phone but did not have signal.
He had a SPOT and an EPIRB.
He set off the EPIRB.
The USCG arrived by helicopter, a rescue swimmer put him in a basket, and that was that.

He said that it was "God's Plan" that led him to leave when a hurricane was coming, and so it was also "God's Plan" that he abandon the boat.

His website says he is a USCG licensed captain, with 100 ton license, and has had years of experience running day charters in the Virgin Islands, and has lived in the Virgin Islands for several years. He offered one week charters on his boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 17:14   #29

Wow, just watched this guys video... what a complete ding bat! We are all safer afloat with him off the sea. I can't fathom the thought of paying to be onboard with him for anything over three seconds.

I feel bad for the loss of his vessel as the boat deserved better. This is going to be a great thing for the lawyers I am afraid.

A word of advice, if you are thinking of watching his videos.... be very afraid.
Old 23-10-2017, 17:45   #30
cruiser

'its "GODS PLAN" he is a nutso. con man............sorry for those around him

Tags
boat, florida