Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 17:59   #31

Re: Capsized in the St Augustine Inlet

I live in St. Augustine. I have gone in and out of the inlet many times. It changes a lot over the season. It seems different every time I go out. I think it has a lot to do with changing tides wind and sea states. I like higher rising tide for returning it seems to smooth things out but that hardly ever happens. The breakers are much harder to see from oceanside than when heading out. Right inside the jetty there are sand bars everywhere. Then low water does help some. I believe the best way is to be vigilant don’t rely solely on the markers they can be misleading. Lots of boats go in and out most weekend with no problems.Just don’t hit the shoals or you’re screwed like this poor guy
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 19:30   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
The first time we came in the inlet (a year ago) we called and the BoatUS captain we spoke to seemed to think we were a bit crazy for calling. He just said to stay inside the channel markers.
I entered last winter and called Boat US for local knowledge. It was a pretty stiff onshore breeze and Boat US captains are always happy to give you the lowdown.

While he sounded pretty nonchalant about the present conditions, he did give me a couple of pointers...I recall him saying "If you see less than 12 feet, stop, back up, and try again." or something to that effect. I also remember one line from the conversation, where he said "You'll be fine. It's the people that don't call and check who end up not being fine."
Old 29-06-2019, 06:07   #33

Boat: Salona 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I entered last winter and called Boat US for local knowledge. It was a pretty stiff onshore breeze and Boat US captains are always happy to give you the lowdown.

While he sounded pretty nonchalant about the present conditions, he did give me a couple of pointers...I recall him saying "If you see less than 12 feet, stop, back up, and try again." or something to that effect. I also remember one line from the conversation, where he said "You'll be fine. It's the people that don't call and check who end up not being fine."
I have been using the inlet routinely since it was dredged a year ago. I don’t claim to be an expert. I also still periodically call Boat US or Seatow to make sure everything is on station. I am also focused and try to go straight down the pipe, pay attention to the general weather and find it a decent fair weather inlet.

I don’t want to sound hubris because I am not a fool and the inlet could get me one day. Still, when I read a lot of the comments here they seem overly alarmist, but maybe i’m wrong. I guess we all have different experiences based on different conditions in different vessels, but in fair conditions if you follow the bouys all the way in and out every time the inlet is very reasonable in its current condition. If I was a boater never having used it before I think I would be too frightened to try the inlet after reading this thread. I think the idea is more the inlet is currently fine for most boaters, but you should do your due diligence and treat it with respect.
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 06:41   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Lt. Dan Power with St. Johns County Fire Rescue said the sailboat overturned within seconds of crews arriving at the scene and the five people who were on board were jumping in the water.

Curse you Forrest Gump

Glad to see no one was injured.
Old 29-06-2019, 10:46   #35

Boat: Salona 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
Lt. Dan Power with St. Johns County Fire Rescue said the sailboat overturned within seconds of crews arriving at the scene and the five people who were on board were jumping in the water.

Curse you Forrest Gump

Glad to see no one was injured.
https://tenor.com/view/hurricane-flo...m-gif-12506266
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 14:23   #36

Boat: Presently between vessels

The inlet was rough that day. I don't know how he hit the bar but normally, that inlet is very easy to navigate. I've been through multiple times with a. 6'10" draft and had plenty of room.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 13:35   #37

Boat: Columbia 10.7 1978

Any clue as to what that boat is? Looks like a Columbia 10.7. A bone-chilling notion for me.
moegev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size