Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 00:45   #46

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Carrier overturns in Brunswick River, Ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Probably TBT.... what's the US position on commercial ship anti fouling composition?
No, TBT is not used anymore. Self polishing copper based paints. As commercial vessels move at good speed and most of the time, these paints work very well. A good antifouling system lasts 5 years without significant growth.

The same actually for us, most of the fouling happens when we are in port or at anchor.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:14   #47

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I heard that it happened during ballasting; possibly there was a fault in the system (note the shocking condition of the ballast tank systems on the Hoegh Osaka -- did you read the accident report?).
Thanks for the heads up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_H%C3%B6egh_Osaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The investigation found that plans for the loading of the cargo had not been changed despite the change in itinerary. No calculation of the vessel's stability had been made, a practice found to be common across many operators' fleets. The weight of cargo on board had been underestimated, being 265 tonnes greater than estimated... The ship's ballast water system was not fully serviceable, all but one of the gauges for each ballast tank were unserviceable, a situation that had existed since at least July 2014.
Unbelievable, but the report states that it is common practice

So yes maybe a similar situation occurred on the MV Golden Ray.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:34   #48

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

All crew now rescued. Looks like it may have hit bottom as not much seems to be in the water from photos.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the fact that this ship appears to be lying in relatively shallow water, makes me wonder if one side of the ship was not sliding up and over a sandbar or shallow area alongside the main channel at the same time doing a turn......this would give the needed impetus for an unbalanced or top heavy ship to start rotating or they might have been filling the wrong ballast tanks....??

When the ship left the dock, it was likely plumb to the water, as an unbalanced ship would have surely attracted attention from someone. That the ship was likely balanced but top heavy comes into question, needing only a shove to send it over. The ship was supposedly already "top heavy" but "balanced" upon leaving the dock and had travelled some distance before this disaster, so " something" had to " induce" the rotation..it didn't just " happen"....

Many questions....though I have been in at the Brunswick ship channel, I can't recall if there are " range markers" there to enable a pilot to judge whether or not he is in the channel, but " something" must have "induced" the rotation otherwise it could have just as easily rotated while still at the dock.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 13:04   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I know that, but thats not what you meant....

Yes it is what I meant, they drilled a hole. Established communications, even passed them water and food.
Why not cut a hole large enough to extract them? It is what was eventually done wasn’t it?
I believe if I’m not mistaken it was at least 24 hours from the time the hole was drilled and food and water was passed until they were cut out, if so that seems like a long time.
My assumption is the ship is laying on the bottom and sinking is not a concern, but if there was a fire, then time is of the essence.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 13:13   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Carrier overturns in Brunswick River, Ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_H%C3%B6egh_Osaka

Unbelievable, but the report states that it is common practice

So yes maybe a similar situation occurred on the MV Golden Ray.

I doubt they did any weight and ballast computations. I believe these ships exist solely to carry new Kia’s to market, so yes they only carry cars I believe, and I’d bet one load of 4200 Kia’s weight is very similar to the next load of 4200 Kia’s.
I believe Kia and Hyundai May actually be the same, like a GMC and Chevrolet truck for example, actually the same company.

I Believe those cars come from here and the production rate is as much as 300,000 per year? Or basically close to 1,000 cars a day, 365 days a year.
So that ship was carrying a weeks worth of production?
I really don’t know, but they flow out of that plant like popcorn.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyun...turing_Alabama

Ok, I’m wrong, apparently they produce a vehicle every 57 sec, 24 hours a day, 5 days a week.
https://www.georgiamanufacturingalli...--west-point--
Old 10-09-2019, 13:36   #52
Marine Service Provider

the USCG was concerned about fire....so cutting thru' the hull with an oxy-acetylene torch was ruled out. Instead they drilled a serious of " holes" in the shape of a square...2'x 3'....not very big at all.....not sure how thick the plating is but that must have taken considerable time. Once all the holes were drilled, they still had to saw cut from one hole to the next to enable them to lift the center piece out.....then I'm sure all the jagged edges must have been ground down, then they still had to arrange to lift the men out...and " find" the 4th man. All this on a sloping surface.
In the meantime, the 4 men inside were in total darkness and insufferable heat.
Altogether, a marvelous achievement by all involved !!!
I have added respect for the USCG !!!
Old 10-09-2019, 17:33   #53
Marine Service Provider

Just some random thoughts.
The route away from the dock implies this ship first had to make a sharp turn to the left....just before Jekyll Island.....and all was well there...then the ship had to make another sharp turn to the right to head out to sea .....which is where it flopped over....and it flopped to the port side......which makes sense...considering the turn to right.
There also seems to be a green marker with white bands on it on the port side....er....deck side...not sure what to make of it all as that marker is not familiar to me, but maybe I'm not seeing it right, as one would think the markers on that side of the ship should all be red. The ship had a pilot onboard, who one assumes knows these waters like the back of his hand.
The overturned ship does not seem to in deep water either, judging by the amount of superstructure exposed..
These ships leaving the Port of Brunswick are not typically at full speed while negotiating the channel, but maybe it was ?....a sharp to the right at speed could have set the wheels in motion...
The mind ponders... because if the ship was " top-heavy" it could just as easily have flopped over on that first bend to the left ??..or maybe it was still going slow at that point ?

"official" accounts that I'm hearing and seeing appears to indicate that the " authorities" are as mystified as I am about this occurrence.

I guess we will find out soon enuff.

I will be interested to see how they are going to right this ship and remove it.
Not a good time to be an insurance company.
Old 10-09-2019, 18:13   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’m going to go out on a limb and bet that ship was self insured, pretty sure it was owned by Hyundai, and that they can write it off with petty cash.
Lord knows how many billions of dollars that company does a year.
Old 10-09-2019, 18:14   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anybody have a mark on the chart on where this ship rests?
I’m trying to think of where it must be.
Old 10-09-2019, 20:22   #56

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
hard to believe that the tiny town of Brunswick is considered a " Port".....but it is....like Fernandina, J'ville, Savannah, etc.....these " ports" are located on a river...sometimes way up a river....
People think of a port as being right at the ocean's edge...a logical place for a " port".....ie, Cape Town....etc...but many ports are " inside" some or other water body...

In the case of Brunswick, there are also big tidal differences, tidal currents, several bends, etc...

Finally, every port usually has a local "pilot" on the ship, guiding ships leaving or entering and I am wondering if this came into play...

A very unusual occurrence, no doubt....the lawyers will have a fun time sorting this out..
I'm from Minnesota.
Duluth is a port - and so is St. Paul.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:05   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I was puzzled by this comment as well. I guess half the world's great ports are way up rivers - Hamburg? Shanghai? London? Southampton? New Orleans? What is un-portlike about that?

Hamburg is what, 50 miles up the Elbe? How far up the Thames is London, the world's greatest port for centuries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm from Minnesota.
Duluth is a port - and so is St. Paul.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:51   #58

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb and bet that ship was self insured, pretty sure it was owned by Hyundai, and that they can write it off with petty cash.
Lord knows how many billions of dollars that company does a year.
Oddly enough that's not what the Korean press thinks or how the Korean stock market players see the incident. See: Cargo ship overturn to hurt Hyundai Glovis
Old 11-09-2019, 07:12   #59

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Duluth is 2038 nautical miles from the ocean (2342 statue miles, 3700 kilometers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I was puzzled by this comment as well. I guess half the world's great ports are way up rivers - Hamburg? Shanghai? London? Southampton? New Orleans? What is un-portlike about that?

Hamburg is what, 50 miles up the Elbe? How far up the Thames is London, the world's greatest port for centuries?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:41   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anyone else notice how clean the bottom of that ship is? No growth at all it seems?
Must not be Seahawk BioCop bottom paint

sorry, but I'm not letting such easy openings pass by