Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2022, 07:57   #31

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Catalina 30 Missing Off Atlantic Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
I’m interested in hearing from captain and crew first. Everything else at this point is just noise.

Good luck with that. We're still waiting for Rebel Heart to start posting again and hold a Q&A session.
Old 14-12-2022, 08:12   #32

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You don't need engineering knowledge of batteries to make your sailboat move or to cross an ocean.

In most cases, this is only true if nothing breaks. The vessel is dependent, to some degree, on a working electrical system. Boats are dependent on electricity for lighting, navigation, communications, in many cases watermaking or at least getting the water out of the tank, pumping the bilge, pumping the head, and in an increasing number of cases, sail handling.

You can operate some of that gear manually, you can use flashlights, you can use handheld radios and GPS, you can pump the bilge by hand. To do that over a protracted period of time, including at night in poor conditions, is difficult even for an accomplished sailor.

How are you going to hold a course on a dark, cloudy night with no autopilot and no electrical system? How long will your flashlight batteries last? How are you going to put in the second reef in the dark with no autopilot and no spreader lights?

On an electricity-dependent boat, being able to patch and bypass and at least get some of the electrical system to work after an outage is a critical skill.

The nonelectric boat, deliberate record-setting feats aside, requires more crew, well-practiced skills that most lack, oil navigation ligths, an oil binnacle light, and a properly stocked chart table.
Old 14-12-2022, 08:44   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
...and who decides what is negligent or foolish ?

Usually the media or cruisers forum members.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:44   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catalina 30 Missing Off Atlantic Coast

Hence why one gets more abandonments due to an over reliance on electronic gadgets and a dislike of good Seamanship and 'camping'..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:47   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In most cases, this is only true if nothing breaks. The vessel is dependent, to some degree, on a working electrical system. Boats are dependent on electricity for lighting, navigation, communications, in many cases watermaking or at least getting the water out of the tank, pumping the bilge, pumping the head, and in an increasing number of cases, sail handling.

You can operate some of that gear manually, you can use flashlights, you can use handheld radios and GPS, you can pump the bilge by hand. To do that over a protracted period of time, including at night in poor conditions, is difficult even for an accomplished sailor.

How are you going to hold a course on a dark, cloudy night with no autopilot and no electrical system? How long will your flashlight batteries last? How are you going to put in the second reef in the dark with no autopilot and no spreader lights?

On an electricity-dependent boat, being able to patch and bypass and at least get some of the electrical system to work after an outage is a critical skill.

The nonelectric boat, deliberate record-setting feats aside, requires more crew, well-practiced skills that most lack, oil navigation ligths, an oil binnacle light, and a properly stocked chart table.
First thing you need to think about is how many of these so-called sailors are rescued because they have no power. You see that a lot meaning they are poor sailors or someone is tired of the conditions

You simply don't need power to sail your boat..... especially just to get in after a problem.

Secondly, are you forgetting about the history of sailing?

It's not something like flying that was recently understand. Folks have been sailing for 1000 years, much more actually.

My first 5 sailboats had no power what so ever. I did 100 miles races on 2 of them and yes sometimes we would be out until 3 am and with no lights.

Before folks start complaining about me having no lights and sailing at night after the fist time I bought some glow in the dark red and green light sticks to tie onto the shrouds of my beach cats

More sailors/cruisers should learn to sail on an engineless/powerless boat.

Btw my degree is BA History, but my trade is as electronics/computer tech or was until I became a manager of techs
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:47   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Only if you eat beans cold straight from the cans and navigate by sextant and hourglass can you be a real seaman

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:50   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Only if you eat beans cold straight from the cans and navigate by sextant and hourglass can you be a real seaman
Rich Bugga.. all I got was hard tack, on Sundays we got protein rich food.. The hardtack with maggots..

Old 14-12-2022, 08:55   #38
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Rich Bugga.. all I got was hard tack, on Sundays we got protein rich food.. The hardtack with maggots..
Lucky you! Ours only came with weevils!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:59   #39

Quote:
I have a propane hot plate so I can fry my potatoes and onions or heat up my beans if I lose power!

My point is don't forget the sails. They can move the boat and many times get you in even when power is lost.

In the past, I have run on a single battery but now with two 6 volt deep cycle batteries I don't have that option so I guess if one fails I'll be sailing in without the autopilot.

I can use my anchor lantern for light though......
Old 14-12-2022, 09:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Old 14-12-2022, 09:12   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lucky you! Ours only came with weevils!
So did ours, the maggots came from the officers salt pork.

Old 14-12-2022, 12:47   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So far as I am aware, thomm225 has never been on an overnight passage, or a multi-day passage at sea, and neither has Jammer. Jedi and Boatman 61 have many, many such.

I was surprised to find how much ambient light there is after dark, and I think most people would probably be surprised how well you can see most nights at sea. Just my opinion, but I don't think reefing the main would be a big challenge on a Catalina 30 in the dark, if you were already familiar with it. You can tell what you're doing by feel, and some vision. I don't think the absence of spreader lights or a forward deck light would be prohibitive. You might want to be more careful, might need to harness up, but I think one could manage without electricity. If the situation was not reparable at sea. Of course, one would prefer to be able to show nav. lights. If you have a kerosene lantern, it might do for the all around white, about the minimum, so people could avoid you... And, if you have a hand bearing compass, some of them have their own light so you can read them.

The essence is to figure out what you have that you can use to make the journey more pleasant. It really helps if you understand mechanics and electrics.

Ann
Old 14-12-2022, 12:58   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
So far as I am aware, thomm225 has never been on an overnight passage, or a multi-day passage at sea, and neither has Jammer. Jedi and Boatman 61 have many, many such.

Ann
Still cleaning the coffee off my screen!!! Thanks for the chuckle
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 14:03   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

IF (big if) news reports are to be believed it seems they left Cape May and made their way to Oregon Inlet. At least 3 possible routes.
Outside to Norfolk and then ICW
Outside to Oregon inlet then in.
Up Delaware, Down Chesapeake to Norfolk the out or in to Oregon Inlet.

Oregon Inlet, as noted above, is not friendly.
Oregon Inlet to Beaufort is 2 to 3 day EASY ICW trip.

Why oh why would anyone go out Oregon Inlet instead of heading at least to Beaufort?

Right there are some pretty serious reasons question the crews decision making.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 14:08   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regarding Jammers question about reefing sans autopilot.. that's simple turn to windward reduce headsail to 50%, slacken mainsheet and she'll steer herself while you drop and reef the main.
As for steering at night without electrics, if solo one doesn't, one heaves to and lashes the tiller then goes below to grab a bite and a hot drink then crash till dawn..
Wake at first light, knock up some breakies and a coffee then back on course and steer till dark..
Repeat till one reaches port.
Simple really..
And yes Ann, its never to dark to reef without electrics.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30