Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 07:20   #46
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55
Re: Fecal Bacteria Unsafe Levels On 33% of Beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Feed the mullet and stop watching the news.

Peace..
LoL! No TV aboard SeaQuest OE II.... Ya!
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:25   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
LoL! No TV aboard SeaQuest OE II.... Ya!
I haven’t watched a news program in over five years; my biggest worry today was deciding if I should take a nap or not. I wasn’t tired.... so I decided against it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:32   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

How can you have a realistic sewage treatment if you have a village 'designed' for 100 inhabitants with extremely low consumption and impact - and then there we arrive 100 cruising boats and 1000 fly-in tourists and we all begin to live the Western style - aircon, fridges, huge consumption and zero respect for the environment?

The only way to have the environment clean THERE would be to stop tourism and CRUISING.

On the other hand, it is all floating **** and stench of our holding tanks in those few leeward anchorages. I go on a foot trek across the island to the windward - it is as clean there as it was 20 years ago. And I am alone on that windward beach too. All the fat cruisers/tourists are in the bars on the lee side of the island.

So it is not that terrible everywhere in the area, only in the spots where we will congregate.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:33   #49

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
I have seen a lot written here about animals but little about the biggest problem, the human animal?

As I said before I avoid the tourist areas, those places on every self-charter boats must stop list and while I could care less where someone is from the biggest and grossest offenders seem to all be from Europe. Most (at least those I have observed) seem to think the ocean is their personal toilet.

SeaQuest OE II
In July a sewage treatment plant dumped 3 million gallons of untreated sewage into Puget Sound in 30 minutes. They claim it was due to a power outage. However, this same treatment plant seems to have a problem virtually every year.

Additionally, beaches on Lake Washington are regularly closed due to fecal levels from...geese. Geese are not native to the area but were introduced by....eco-idiots years ago. Now the state spends millions to go around to dispatch geese eggs before they can hatch.

Cruise ships are nothing more than floating **** factories. While they typically do not dump inside 3 miles of land in the US...the sheer amount dumped while on a single cruise does more immediate damage to the environment than if I discharged directly overboard once a day for 10 years.

The point here is that I agree with you that humans are a huge source of pollution...but it is not cruisers who are to blame or who significantly negatively impact the marine environment. In fact...I would argue that cruisers are better stewards of the marine environment than any eco-idiot because it is our home.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46   #50
cruiser

Quote:
I haven’t watched a news program in over five years; my biggest worry today was deciding if I should take a nap or not. I wasn’t tired.... so I decided against it.
I like your attitude sir.

While I do not watch the TV news I still stay informed as I write a bi-weekly world military analysis for Stratfor. So I am not completely cut-off from the world at large. I used to present analysis for one of the big 4 U.S. TV networks but we came to a parting of the ways.

SeaQuest OE II
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
In July a sewage treatment plant dumped 3 million gallons of untreated sewage into Puget Sound in 30 minutes. They claim it was due to a power outage. However, this same treatment plant seems to have a problem virtually every year.

Additionally, beaches on Lake Washington are regularly closed due to fecal levels from...geese. Geese are not native to the area but were introduced by....eco-idiots years ago. Now the state spends millions to go around to dispatch geese eggs before they can hatch.

Cruise ships are nothing more than floating **** factories. While they typically do not dump inside 3 miles of land in the US...the sheer amount dumped while on a single cruise does more immediate damage to the environment than if I discharged directly overboard once a day for 10 years.

The point here is that I agree with you that humans are a huge source of pollution...but it is not cruisers who are to blame or who significantly negatively impact the marine environment. In fact...I would argue that cruisers are better stewards of the marine environment than any eco-idiot because it is our home.
I 100% agree with the cruise ship issue, still I have personally witnessed idiot, drunk mostly Europeans on rented boats openly using the anchorage as a toilet.

I am sorry to say that there is NO way to stop it, those of us who liveaboard and sail as our full time lifestyle are not the problem.

SeaQuest OE II
Old 09-08-2019, 08:03   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fecal Bacteria Unsafe Levels On 33% of Beaches

Quote:
I 100% agree with the cruise ship issue, still I have personally witnessed idiot, drunk mostly Europeans on rented boats openly using the anchorage as a toilet.

I am sorry to say that there is NO way to stop it, those of us who liveaboard and sail as our full time lifestyle are not the problem.

SeaQuest OE II
Nyaah.!!!
Your just anti European..!!!
Roll on Brexit..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:11   #53
cruiser

Quote:

SeaQuest OE II
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nyaah.!!!
Your just anti European..!!!
Roll on Brexit..
Phil... the Tiger’s upset because your a peein’ off the side of your boat.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:16   #54

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Or even worse, letting it go while you swim.... Cause NOBODY does that, right?!?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But never off the stern..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:51   #56
cruiser

Old 09-08-2019, 09:02   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Or even worse, letting it go while you swim.... Cause NOBODY does that, right?!?
Quote:
But never off the stern..
European... your a peein’. Rim shot please...
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18   #58
cruiser

Some very important poop science: But of course, I could never hope to contribute as much.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34   #59

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

The problem of human sewage waste is quantity versus dilution. Taking a dump off of your swim ladder in many places is totally inconsequential.
Urbanization and 7 billion people on the planet, most congregated near coastlines, or built on rivers is by far the greatest source of fecal contamination problems, followed by large food animal production.
Most urban sewage treatment, if even done (Third world issue) is to a secondary standard. Secondary sewage treatment, when it is running well and operation 24/7/365 is 90% effective. To put that into perspective, anchored here in La Paz there are about a quarter of a million people living around the bay. If the sewage plant ran perfectly (this is Mexico, not the poorest country in the world, but certainly not wealthy) the equivalent of 25,000 people voiding waste flows into the bay at any time.
When the sewage plant goes down, the sewage of 250,000 people goes into the bay. When it rains, since La Paz has a combined sewer system (storm water and sewage) all the sewage flows into the bay while the sewers are overflowing.
I'd estimate there might be 100 boats anchored on the Mogote that don't have access to the marina pump outs.
Some boats are abandoned, few if any have more than 2 people aboard.
So the anchored boats contribute the sewage load of maybe 100-200 people, while at best LaPaz contributes 25,000 peoples' sewage load, and often 250,000 peoples' sewage load.
It rained yesterday and the bay was brown - mostly silt, true, but lots of debris and sewage.
Our boats are an easy target for what is essentially a non-problem.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:52   #60
cruiser

Quote:
I think the fresh water and chemicals that accompany the 'treated' sewage are more of a problem..
Remember what is waste to one is food for another.. Mullet love poo.. so do plants.. roses love horse poo.
If you think back to coral reefs, breaks in reefs were found by looking for streams on land which desalinated the water enough to prevent coral growth.
Amen brother.

Living organisms and plants need organic nutrients in order to sustain life, without poo... there would be no life, just sterile clear water... no fish.

Think of it as the circle of poo... the poop cycle.

Hakuna Matata

Tags
cal