Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 11:51   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: For all promoting flare guns for self defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly36 View Post
I like the slingshot idea, if you get good with it those little steel shots could be lethal and its super small and easy to use.
David?
Old 27-06-2021, 12:02   #62

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
David?
Golliath?
Old 27-06-2021, 13:25   #63

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I have both a 25mm steel and an orange 12 ga flare gun.... but I also have my Mossberg 590 12 ga pump for protection. In the dark the sound of the racking of the Mossberg will cause most a little pucker factor.
If I have advance notice of a following scenario I bring the Mossberg into the cockpit and when the follower is close enough I will rack a round into the chamber. If they continue a warning shot into the air will be heard. Next a shot across the bow. But finally the flare guns now come into play. A carefully lobbed shot into a small fishing boat can have deadly outcome without shooting to kill.
Remember anywhere you have to resort to using a weapon it is about self defense not the desire to kill the perpetrators. Any way you slice it you will be answering questions so best to be doing this with local law enforcement vs pirates.
Your opinion may vary but this sailor wants to avoid any and all conflicts.
Old 27-06-2021, 14:27   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You haven't seen the marbles thread then? A group of highly experienced cruisers with tens of thousands of miles under their belts come together using the power of the internet on a cruising forum to discuss...... marbles

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-223519.html
Pete, I don't want to dredge all the way through that thread so could you tell me if it addresses where my marbles (the ones everyone tells me I've lost) might be found? It would be a big help...

Jim
Old 27-06-2021, 15:26   #65

My plan is from Jaws. Rig a high pressure tank to thrust into the pirates ship and then shoot it to blow up....

On a more practical note, if you are ashore and wind up in out of the way areas:
- As mentioned guns are generally illegal and if you run into serious issue, they will have you out gunned and you pulling a gun almost assures a violent reaction that you are unlikely to win.
- A big knife...less lethal but likely again to trigger a harsh reaction.
- A stout walking stick on the other hand is unlikely to draw unwanted attention or worse aggression but could quickly be pressed into service against a less lethal threat such as someone pulling a knife.
Old 27-06-2021, 15:40   #66

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

So essentially, all the "normal" means of self protection using any sort of traditional manner of modern distant non-hand to hand means is illegal in much of the non-US world... Hmm...

So we must go with a boat hook with a cork on the end of the pike tip when ranging out there?? I am new to going offshore from the US in anything that does not include a CAP and ASW screen...
Old 27-06-2021, 15:57   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
So essentially, all the "normal" means of self protection using any sort of traditional manner of modern distant non-hand to hand means is illegal in much of the non-US world... Hmm...

So we must go with a boat hook with a cork on the end of the pike tip when ranging out there?? I am new to going offshore from the US in anything that does not include a CAP and ASW screen...
Pretty much.

Stay in US waters and bolt R2D2 to the deck. Brrrrrrrrrt
Old 27-06-2021, 16:04   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Well if you're going to be posting movie references, this is what made everyone believe flares are weapons.

I love it...he shoots a flare through a sail. Moments later, no hole, no burn marks or fire. You gotta love Hollywood.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-06-2021, 16:08   #69

Start coughing, then tell the invaders you are Covid positive and you are using your boat as the isolation venue. Then welcome them aboard as you seek company since your spouse/crew died from Covid. Offer them a face mask.

The earlier suggestion of "sandwiching" them seems a bit "crumby" to me.

Seriously, the chances of having to deal with an armed invader pales into insignificance when compared to the risk involved when entering a chandlery. The smiling assassin behind the counter strips you of your life savings for a few shiny trinkets.

Probably the best action is to accumulate as much information about the naughty folk so that the authorities have more information to go on. Instigating a mini war with an armed intruder seems to be a case of "no winners" at all.
Old 27-06-2021, 17:20   #70
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
This being a cruisers forum and this thread being about using a piece of cruiser kit for self defense, it should be clear we're talking about self defense while cruising. And no, you can't bring a 9mm into almost any county in the world while cruising, at best you can check it in with customs and hope it's there to pick back up when you check out. And you can't, say check in at one end of the Bahamas and out at the other, you generally have to check out from the same place you checked in. So it's a tremendous pita for something you only have use of on the high seas which except for a couple of areas is the place you're least likely to need it. And I suppose you could have it for a long cruise around the Netherlands, also high on my list for places I'm least likely to need my 9 mm.

So again, anyone talking about using flares for self defense is almost certainly going to be in violent agreement that a 9mm would be more effective, no one is debating that. It's just not at all practical to go through the effort to go through every cruising destination's gun licensing procedures, not to mention the time involved means you will have been months or years without your 9mm. Hence cruisers always shooting the **** about alternatives like flares.
No, what you say isn’t correct. We have reported guns at least 50 times and in about 20 countries and never even had to turn them in, not even in countries where this is how it it’s supposed to work that way. We could always check out where we wanted, often different places incl. the Bahamas where we just returned from.

You don’t need to license the gun in countries you visit. It just needs to be a legal gun with supporting documentation (from the country the gun was bought legally) and then report it to customs when they ask.

Old 27-06-2021, 17:30   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh no, the guy shooting himself in the head was fine, hardly a scratch.

Use a flare gun for emergency signaling, not for self defense.

Old 27-06-2021, 17:53   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
...or medieval sword the sight of which might give boarders pause - but these are strictly for display not actual use. Please be aware that in most European countries possession (never mind use) of an unlicensed working firearm or sword is likely to land you in jail or facing a massive fine.

Doesn't everyone have a bushknife/machete in their toolkit?

https://homecentres.brianbell.com.pg...24-bush-knife/

Old 27-06-2021, 18:06   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Pete, I don't want to dredge all the way through that thread so could you tell me if it addresses where my marbles (the ones everyone tells me I've lost) might be found? It would be a big help...

Jim
Sadly not, but it does re-inforce your request. See Posts 14-17, especially Ann's comment.
Old 27-06-2021, 18:11   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course every boat needs an axe to cut lines and rodes during emergencies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE6CB695-7BC5-4E90-A687-274DB481F4C0.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	241139  

Old 27-06-2021, 18:17   #75

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh no, the guy shooting himself in the head was fine, hardly a scratch.

Use a flare gun for emergency signaling, not for self defense.
So, even from a distance of 1 foot all the flare gun did was put him off for a minute.
I would suggest that at distances of over 4-5 feet you probably wouldn’t even hit an area that was sensitive enough to be effective. As the original video shows, the flare itself is more likely to be dangerous to you than the “baddies”.

Having to be within a foot before having a chance of being effective means that you’ve already lost!

And, by the way, assuming the baddies travel in groups of more than one, the others are completely unimpressed and more than ready to deal with you once they have stopped laughing.
Plus the original target has now recovered their composure and is unlikely to want to de-escalate the situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns