Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 13:10   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
For all promoting flare guns for self defense

We had already seen a guy shooting himself in the head with a flare gun but that was met by claims of trick video etc. Today, Paul Harrell shows the truth about these.

Old 26-06-2021, 13:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: For all promoting flare guns for self defense

That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

It is much better to use a can of wasp spray.
Old 26-06-2021, 13:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We had already seen a guy shooting himself in the head with a flare gun but that was met by claims of trick video etc. Today, Paul Harrell shows the truth about these.
Thanks for posting this! About time someone filmed the idiocy of this theory. Especially trying regular ammo. Now if the moderators could somehow program an auto-response using this every time “flare gun” and “defense” came up in the same post!
Old 26-06-2021, 14:05   #4

Peanut butter, toss loads of peanut butter.

Then jelly.

Then bread.

You will have the intruder sandwiched in no time.

Or just use bear spray and followed by a fishing gaff hook.
Old 26-06-2021, 14:17   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

It is much better to use a can of wasp spray.
+1. Well done video.
Old 26-06-2021, 14:19   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Guy trying to board my boat and I have no other way of self defense...you bet I use a flare gun and aim at his face. I like to see this guy show what those results would be. The aim is not to kill...it is do deter from someone boarding your boat and I think if you start shooting flares at someone 20 feet away who you know is a real threat to you (holding a knife threatening to kill you your family and rape your daughter), it may just do that, deter. That is better than waiting for him to board your boat.
I do not think that most people think a flare gun is going to kill and animal or person. Try it with your friend next time....let your friend start shooting flares at you as you approach their boat and see how much of an enjoyable experience that is.

IMHO
Abe
Old 26-06-2021, 16:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Guy trying to board my boat and I have no other way of self defense...you bet I use a flare gun and aim at his face. I like to see this guy show what those results would be. The aim is not to kill...it is do deter from someone boarding your boat and I think if you start shooting flares at someone 20 feet away who you know is a real threat to you (holding a knife threatening to kill you your family and rape your daughter), it may just do that, deter. That is better than waiting for him to board your boat.
I do not think that most people think a flare gun is going to kill and animal or person. Try it with your friend next time....let your friend start shooting flares at you as you approach their boat and see how much of an enjoyable experience that is.

IMHO
Abe
You are wrong, this is what the previous video showed. All that happens is the flare, which doesn’t burn yet, bounces off his face onto your boat, then ignites and put your boat on fire while the boarder kills you

9mm works much better.

Old 26-06-2021, 17:34   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You are wrong, this is what the previous video showed. All that happens is the flare, which doesn’t burn yet, bounces off his face onto your boat, then ignites and put your boat on fire while the boarder kills you

9mm works much better.
Read an account one time where an ex-military cruiser detered boarders by taking up a defensive position in the cockit w a hand gun. First guy who came over the stern got 2 rounds in the chest. The others decided to go home.

But, he was not most cruisers.
Old 26-06-2021, 18:01   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Indeed, a well done myth-busting!

However, he did not address the issue of the larger 25mm flare guns that are available. They would possibly be more effective... possibly not, I sure don't know. But I also recall that some aftermarket folks were selling a steel barrel insert for those guns that would accept proper shotgun shells (don't remember the gauge). Such might improve the safety issue, but again I lack any expertise to evaluate... I'm not a gun person, just curious!

Jim
Old 26-06-2021, 18:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

However, he did not address the issue of the larger 25mm flare guns that are available. They would possibly be more effective... possibly not, I sure don't know. But I also recall that some aftermarket folks were selling a steel barrel insert for those guns that would accept proper shotgun shells (don't remember the gauge). Such might improve the safety issue, but again I lack any expertise to evaluate... I'm not a gun person, just curious!

Jim
A friend of mine was set ashore during hurricane Ivan in St Georges, Grenada. While inside he hears someone trying to start his outboard so he rushes out and chases the looter off. When he turns around he sees another one enter his boat so he rushes after him and the 2nd looter threatens him with a knife. The friend fires a 25mm flare right at the center of the looters chest, the flare bounces off him, into the galley sink and starts burning with a lot of smoke. The looter has not a spot on his shirt, got away in the mayhem, but was shot the day after by local police.

He was lucky that his boat didn’t burn and that he wasn’t stabbed. Don’t use a flare gun to shoot someone.

Old 26-06-2021, 18:51   #11

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim

It would probably be pretty easy to sleeve it for a 16 ga shell, but in some countries, having the ammunition is looked at as just as bad as having the firearm. Interesting idea all the same. Sad that we have to consider it though . . .
Old 26-06-2021, 19:25   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
It would probably be pretty easy to sleeve it for a 16 ga shell, but in some countries, having the ammunition is looked at as just as bad as having the firearm. Interesting idea all the same. Sad that we have to consider it though . . .
Why would anyone do that? A proper shotgun costs less than $200 and won’t blow up in your face.

Old 26-06-2021, 20:06   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
…..Now if the moderators could somehow program an auto-response using this every time “flare gun” and “defense” came up in the same post! ……

Stupid is not against the rules. Which goes long way towards understanding why we leave a lot of posts be.
Old 26-06-2021, 22:52   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Stupid is not against the rules. Which goes long way towards understanding why we leave a lot of posts be.
Damn, Bob, you've let out the top secret philosophy of the Mod team!

Jim
Old 26-06-2021, 23:12   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’ve watched a lot of Paul Harrell’s videos, he does a good job.

I’d be curious to see what would happen if he fired a 25mm parachute flare at his meat target. If I recall correctly the only thing left in the gun after firing a parachute flare is the butt end of the cartridge. That means a big aluminum tube must fly down range.

A big stout boat hook is probably a better weapon than a flare gun.

If I didn’t want to carry a real firearm, I’d carry pepper spray or maybe bear spray.
Wasp spray as a defensive weapon is just a myth. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that debunk that idea.

Tags
Guns