Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: IRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Set your at a 45 degree as far out as possible, then let go the tension so all the chain rest on the bottom. Then when the bridges are closed down and last minute, take up the tension to keep your boat away from the dock.
(In your case you have lots of boat traffic over your chain, it may not be practical, but put the anchor to work if you can)
At any rate, the forecast so far is the strong winds from the East, that will push your boat away from the dock, which is a good thing.
Loop lines along strong trees in the yard rather than relay 100% on the sea wall cleats.
Hi CSY Man,

Already got lines to the trees in addition to the seawall cleats :-). I'd asked the Broward Marine Unit about putting my anchor out in the river, and they said no, understandably. Pretty soon they are going to be running flotillas of boats up the river, and I doubt I'd be able to get back to the boat after Thursday to take up slack on the anchor chain as I have to take care of my family and my home too.

I spoke with the dock owners (you know to whom I'm referring, you introduced me to them!), and they are happy with my preparations so far, and the additional stuff I'll be doing no later than Thursday PM.

Let me know if you need any help. You've been extremely helpful and friendly to me, so let me know how I can return the favor...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:34   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Mantus is offering free expedited shipping plus a discount for those of you in Irma's path.

https://www.facebook.com/MantusMarin...52457541467953
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:57   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok kids
irma is a cat 5 now.
i hope you were good lil doobees and prepped for cat 5 as that is prolly now what you will get. realistically speaking, anticipating a decrease in status is wishful thinking and counterproductive.
please be ready and safe. heavy on the safe.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:57   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You guys are taking a bit of a pasting lately and there is another building off NE South America, keep you heads down and get out of dodge.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:07   #20
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Let me know if you need any help. You've been extremely helpful and friendly to me, so let me know how I can return the favor...
Ah, no sweat.
I got a 17' skiff, will help you set the anchors, last minute after all the boat traffic is done.
Just an added insurance. If nothing else, set the anchors straight forward and straight back, it won't interfere with boat traffic. And don't ask permission, just do it when it is safe, everybody else does. After the bridges go on a lock-down there won't be much traffic and that is the signal to everybody in the canals to cross-tie the boats.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:10   #21

Boat: Pearson 34-II

A worthwhile fact: 99% of the boats left in Dinner Key Marina were destroyed after Andrew. Get your boat out of a marina and up a river or in the mangroves with several anchors and a spider web of lines. If there are other boats, anchor upwind, if possible, as others have mentioned to prevent a boat dragging into yours during the blast. Good luck to all.