Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 23:07   #121

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Loss of KELAERIN Rescue of Crew June 2018

A lesson I learnt while running ahead of a strong gale in the middle of the night and pouring rain was the drogue needs to be set up in advance, easy to deploy.

We didn't need it BUT I realised while in the middle of it how difficult it would be to deploy if conditions worsened. Poor preparation on my behalf.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 00:00   #122

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A lesson I learnt while running ahead of a strong gale in the middle of the night and pouring rain was the drogue needs to be set up in advance, easy to deploy.

We didn't need it BUT I realised while in the middle of it how difficult it would be to deploy if conditions worsened. Poor preparation on my behalf.
Thats a great point Dale. I always have my para anchor rigged, bridle and all, before an ocean passage. Then if I need it, it's easy - heave to, throw/kick it off the stern, and it deploys itself. If it is not easy you probably wont do it, as its really hard in storm conditions if its even moderately difficult any other time....
Old 02-07-2018, 03:32   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They may come get you, or may not depending on risk is my belief.
I am absolutely sure they have a risk matrix they fill out before each flight where weather, crew experience, crew rest, and a bunch of other things are each weighed, then depending on the final score, that depends on who can “brief” or approve the flight, the riskier, the higher up the food chain the briefer has to be. The pilot and crew really does not figure into the decision on whether to launch or not. That is the way the Army does it and I assume the same in the CG.

However the USCG can declare your voyage to be manifestly unsafe and require you to abandon your vessel, which I’m awfully sure is what was fixing to happen here, and likely the Husband knew it.
If I were in his shoes and the decision was to risk my wife’s life to save the boat, well the boat loses. I think he made the right call.
However I do not know how they could actually force a civilian to leave.

I know it’s armchair quarterbacking, but from the video, it didn’t look that bad, was the storm worsening, or lessening?
I think fairly clearly it wasn't that bad, and a well rested, clear thinking, perhaps younger guy could surely have saved that vessel, especially with a dewatering pump dropped in.

But we are not talking about well rested, clear thinking, younger guys -- we're talking about people who have been rolled (!!!), which would scare the bejeezus out of any reasonable person, and beaten up for a couple of days, at the end of a long ocean crossing. Suddenly you've got a way out of that nightmare, a one time chance to get out, and you're worrying not just about yourself but your beloved wife, and you don't know even how much strength you've got left. You might try it if you were alone, but you're not. Of course he made the right decision. And in any case we weren't there -- the condition of the boat itself is far from the only factor in such a decision.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52   #124
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Following up on Dockhead's thoughts,.... It is only a judgement call when you have a "choice"!

I am quite sure this experienced couple would have soldiered thru to clean up the damages and get themselves to a safe Port.

But the CG presented them with a choice and the fatigued skipper chose discretion over valor.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:26   #125
Marine Service Provider

Truly a sad story which while reading did have me with a tear or 2. I’ve never been in seas so rough but have seen my share of rough conditions.
The CG is awesome and these 2 courageous sailors are even more so. I’m sure Miss Joy wrote all that with a heavy heart.
Boats can be replaced, lives can’t.
Never leave home without a properly working and registered EPIRB.
Best to both. I’d look forward to reading their memoirs of all their years of sailing, and happy they are both still with us to perhaps write it.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:35   #126

Boat: Catalina 470

I hope this isn't inappropriate. Does your insurance cover you in a case like this? The boat was still floating.

I appreciate people such as this telling us their story, it must be hard for them to do so, it certainly gets me thinking of how I can do better. Like many I can be complacent at times.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Loss of KELAERIN Rescue of Crew June 2018

Quote:
I hope this isn't inappropriate. Does your insurance cover you in a case like this? The boat was still floating
Depends entirely on your Insurence. I have not done an Ocean crossing, but believe Insurence for doing so is prohibitively expensive, so many are not.
But even if insured still floating I don’t think would play into it.
A. You were told by the USCG to abandon, you have no choice.
B. I think it’s like a burning house, you don’t have to stay until it’s completely burned to be covered, you can leave.

Just my way of thinking but I’m sure it depends on how the coverage is written
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 13:10   #128
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here are a couple of exterior photos of the boat KELAERIN.

It looks like it was a very nice boat. The interior photos showed a very nice interior (very cozy, nicely finished). A beautiful place to call home on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AEEEA67-A2FF-43E5-A505-9211F98ADB30.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	172893   Click image for larger version

Name:	90FFA4FA-DB34-48FA-A99C-2A5C3D4C6A43.jpeg
Views:	609
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	172894  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:23   #129

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I was asked what boat make this was.

The boat has been identified as an Omega 45, built in Taiwan in 1980.
According to the owners, Jim and Joy, Kelaerin is a Formosa 46 (F46), 45' in length, Hull #11 built in Taiwan 1980.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:45   #130

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_voyager View Post
According to the owners, Jim and Joy, Kelaerin is a Formosa 46 (F46), 45' in length, Hull #11 built in Taiwan 1980.
A good heavy cruiser with centre cockpit - not easily knocked over or filled with water. Makes sense that he was'nt shackled in for those conditions.

Anyone know the depth of water and how far away from land ?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:00   #131

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Quote:
The Ais will be seen alot further out by aircraft. I recently contacted a search and rescue plane via vhf that was 70-80nm away. I saw them on my Ais and was interested if they knew the position of a boat that I knew was further behind me.
AIS is actually readable (and read) from space. A lot of the reports on MarineTraffic are of "satellite positions". I'm not sure if the SAR services can access the satellite data, nor do I know how often the satellites are overhead. Also, class "B" transponders have a weaker signal than the class "A" transponders. Perhaps we should look into that?

The "engine bilge" pump is a supremely stupid concept.

I appreciate the discussions on the Jordan Series Drogue, which I think is the most appropriate response to that level of heavy weather for a heavy cruiser like Kelaerin.

A friend of mine is planning on carrying a gasoline driven trash pump, but how far do you go to prepare for disaster?

Jim and Joy are old friends on our Peterson Cutter group and are very experienced. I think they did all they could and that they made the right call to abandon ship under the circumstances. In any case, it was their call to make.

Their survival is a testament to how strong the Peterson Cutters are, and how tough they were to survive the storm. It is just too said and painful that they had to abandon Kelaerin so close to home.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:13   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Anyone know the depth of water and how far away from land ?
Deep (like 9000ft) and roughly 150 nm (a 24 hr sail) from shore
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 17:26   #133

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Here are a couple of exterior photos of the boat KELAERIN.

It looks like it was a very nice boat. The interior photos showed a very nice interior (very cozy, nicely finished). A beautiful place to call home on the water.
Thanks Steady, those Pettersons are very nice boats. Good to get some pictures of her. It is a big cockpit covering, but it must have been a serious wave to rip it off. I wonder if the sides were rolled down?

I'll chuck this video I snapped of a dangerous breaking wave in otherwise quite safe conditions to show what may have done the damage. See the wave collapsing at around 10 seconds. Pretty hard to defend against that.

https://youtu.be/pu4ogCy5d4k
Old 02-07-2018, 19:48   #134

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Steady, those Pettersons are very nice boats. Good to get some pictures of her. It is a big cockpit covering, but it must have been a serious wave to rip it off. I wonder if the sides were rolled down?

I'll chuck this video I snapped of a dangerous breaking wave in otherwise quite safe conditions to show what may have done the damage. See the wave collapsing at around 10 seconds. Pretty hard to defend against that.

Exactly what I was talking about back up top..^^^^

'This....

'I awoke around 3:30 to first a hard hit by a wave, so hard it literally felt as though we had been hit by a train while sitting on the tracks.'

I don't think it matters if you are hove to, lying ahull, or running..... when a very large bit of solid water... not 'breaking'.....solid ... lands on your boat things are going to break....

Hatches and companionways are going to be smashed in , decks swept clean...

La Rosa was a case in point.

I have seen ships' focsles swept clean, steelwork buckled, and storm doors punched through bulkheads, I once saw the aftermath of a wooden yacht being dumped close inshore.... nothing bigger than kindling came ashore...

Never underestimate the power of **solid** water...'

I don't think they were getting carried along 'on a pillow of foam' as Vito Dumas described riding the front of large breaking seas....

I think that few yachts have companionways/washboards/whatever that are truly strong enough to withstand the forces that may be encountered....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 20:00   #135
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

WOW!
That is a big wave!
Thanks for sharing your video with us here.

I will share it on so more sailors see it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rescue