Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2021, 18:30   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

^^^^

Well, they may not have been doin' bar service, but they surely were not on watch...

Jim
Old 26-12-2021, 18:39   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: M/T Tropic Breeze Struck by Mega Yacht Utopia IV and Sinks Off the Coast of New P

This is a weird accident:
Perfect weather, both vessels crewed by professional mariners, no crossing situation, no excuses,
no nothing...

Perhaps both vessels were on the same track, using the same waypoints and with todays extremely accurate WAAS systems they met in the middle of nowhere when the overtaking vessel's watch keeper was not keeping watch.
Old 26-12-2021, 18:48   #33

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, they may not have been doin' bar service, but they surely were not on watch...
We simply do not know. Your earlier suggestion that the watchkeeper just walked off the job ('bugger it' you wrote) was equally as foolish to post here in my opinion.

Things happen much faster at 20kn+ though.

One of the reports said the collision was actually on the stern quarter so the ship's stern light being obscured is certainly feasible, and this combined with a poorly adjusted radar on the superyacht may have caused the ship to become lost in the clutter at close range.

We haven't seen anything about weather conditions? It looks calm enough, but was there a heavy rain squall?

The red herring is AIS from the ship. Various reports and ship tracker websites show the last reported AIS location as over a year ago... Are they legally required to use AIS? I think yes but I haven't checked the exact specifications of the ship.

As Master of several 40kn+ capable motoryachts in the past actually I can quite easily see how an accident like this might happen.

It shouldn't, and it's terrible, and clearly a mistake has been made, but I can easily see several possibilities of how it might occur.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 19:09   #34
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
We haven't seen anything about weather conditions? It looks calm enough, but was there a heavy rain squall?
Perhaps there was a rain squall, but pictures taken shortly after the collision shows clear weather and good visibility.

I have navigated the same waters numerous times, but never at 20 knots and at night.
Old 26-12-2021, 19:11   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We simply do not know. Your earlier suggestion that the watchkeeper just walked off the job ('bugger it' you wrote) was equally as foolish to post here in my opinion.
I'm sorry that you took that post seriously... it was meant as a light-hearted foil to the more serious accusations that were floated.

Obvious that no one who wasn't aboard the yacht can know why the watchkeeper failed to note and avoid the tanker. Perhaps the inquiry that surely must follow will inform us all.

It is fairly remarkable that deaths or serious injuries were avoided, whether by great responses or great good luck.

Finally, even if you as an experienced and skilled skipper of similar vessels can posit some scenarios that would explain the accident, you know, just as we do, that it just should not have happened.

Jim
Old 26-12-2021, 19:38   #36

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Where the heck is the :SARCASM: emoji?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 19:58   #37

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
It is fairly remarkable that deaths or serious injuries were avoided, whether by great responses or great good luck.
Indeed. Normally the crew quarters are up forward on this type of yacht and some crew would have been off duty and asleep in bed. But on a vessel this size at least they are not totally in the bow, since there is a substantial chain locker, watertight bulkhead, etc, at the forward most end.

And of course the other vessel actually sank, so very lucky there too. An engineer could have been in the ship's engine room at the time.

Quote:
Finally, even if you as an experienced and skilled skipper of similar vessels can posit some scenarios that would explain the accident, you know, just as we do, that it just should not have happened.
Certainly. Just because I can suggest several scenarios doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened. But people are still human and mistakes do still occur.

Having said that, superyachts in this size range are normally run at a high level and very professionally, so it's still a surprise.

It's a very unusual situation. But even professionals make mistakes. Or was a more junior deck crew member left on watch once the boat was clear and away at sea? Could it be the old failure of simply falling asleep? Could be I guess, but unlikely when underway soon after leaving the coast.

From the photo on instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CX5zbzFLTAU it looks like a glancing blow, since really only minor scraping type damage appears to have occured. Did the watchkeeper in fact alter course at the last moment? Or perform an emergency stop? The damage doesn't really seem indicative of the type of collision and sinking that we are all probably imagining.

Bridge photo below. Often the visibility on these fast sporty type designs isn't as good as one might hope (not writing that as an excuse, just as a note - also the sun covers appear to be on in that photo).

Also it's possible to see that the superyacht rendered assistance, as you can see the garage door/swim platform open and crew there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the other smaller vessel mentioned ('Maya') that took part in the resuce is in fact a big tender to the superyacht and was following along behind (I have no evidence but it's common these days and Utopia only carries a relatively small tender onboard for her size).

It's all very strange... But as they say, truth is stranger than fiction!

Old 26-12-2021, 20:19   #38

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Where the heck is the :SARCASM: emoji?
To some sarcasm and cynicism are unfathomable, regardless of presentation.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 22:58   #39

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

According to Vesselfinder, Tropic Breeze was built in 1989, flagged in Belize and the lasst reported position was 378 days ago.

Does that mean that her AIS was off or inoperable?

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-312815000
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 23:06   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’m not at all surprised , in reality , firstly these super yachts are not actually managed by “ certified “ crew not in the way a commercial ship is.

Secondly visibility from many of these super yacht bridges is often very poor , I’ve been on a few.

Thirdly there is a huge over reliance on technology and less on “ looking out the window “

Then add in 20kts

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more
Old 26-12-2021, 23:15   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

By the way that super yacht is capable of upto 33 knots !!!
Old 27-12-2021, 00:13   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’m not at all surprised , in reality , firstly these super yachts are not actually managed by “ certified “ crew not in the way a commercial ship is.
I can't speak for this specific boat (since it may be US flagged), but that broad statement is certainly not correct for most superyachts, most of which are also commercially registered since they operate as charter vessels.

The Deck Crew and the Engineers are most definitely certified to a high level, and even the Stewardesses are required to be safety and firefighting certified as a minimum.

Old 27-12-2021, 02:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I can't speak for this specific boat (since it may be US flagged), but that broad statement is certainly not correct for most superyachts, most of which are also commercially registered since they operate as charter vessels.

The Deck Crew and the Engineers are most definitely certified to a high level, and even the Stewardesses are required to be safety and firefighting certified as a minimum.

That is not universal.

looking at the pic of the sunken fuel barge, she was showing lights. Having personally been in that area at night I can say that it is very dark out there and if the megatwat had any kind of lookout resembling a Mark I Eyeball, she would have seen the barge.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 05:41   #44

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I can't speak for this specific boat (since it may be US flagged)....
Note the Marshall Islands flag in my photo in post # 26.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 05:50   #45

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
According to Vesselfinder, Tropic Breeze was built in 1989, flagged in Belize and the lasst reported position was 378 days ago.

Does that mean that her AIS was off or inoperable?

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-312815000

We saw the Tropic Breeze off Abacos last month and it was not broadcasting AIS at that time.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gay, nassau, yacht