Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 15:50   #136

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl
Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Sorry, but you really do believe what you are writing above?

I can see her teaching how to attack something but not at all what you right in this post.

I'm very much for not hurting them, but that the Orca mother thinks ahead as to what the longterm human reaction might be, seems a bit far fetched.

I do also think that non harmful deterrence methods need to be developed.
Anything which deters on a very local level and not long distance.
Surely there are things which cause discomfort. Like anything which tastes bad smells bad to them or similar.
Sound is difficult because it's traveling so far.
Of course I'm not serious...but what I wrote is no more ridiculous than a mother Orca teaching her calf to hunt and attack boat rudders. So many experts here claiming to know why the Orcas are "attacking" boats...and others who are insisting that when humans are endangered it is time for drastic measures as in the response to bear and tiger attacks.
Here is an idea: as guests or visitors to a foreign environment (as in the sea) understand the risks and act accordingly. And no, the sea is NOT the natural environment for humans, regardless of what some of the CF resident experts claim.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 16:05   #137

One more thing...when chest thumping pleasure boat skippers start talking about "taking any measures to protect my crew and property" against Orca "attacks", it becomes painfully obvious that they have never seen a 25' long, 8000lb. sea going mammal doing a leisurely swim-by of their boat observing them with an eye that seems as big as a baskerball. It gives one the feeling of just how small and insignificant we humans really are. Grizzly bear=1200 lbs. Orca=8000 lbs.
Wanna sail with Orcas? Understand the rules and risks involved. And don't whine if something goes wrong. .
Old 10-08-2022, 16:16   #138
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Maybe the boat inadvertently entered the 'no go' zone of mother and calf and the pod was intent on driving them away.
Parents/families can be overly protective.
If they ram your port side turn to stbd 90*, maybe that's their objective.. GTFOH..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 16:50   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe the boat inadvertently entered the 'no go' zone of mother and calf and the pod was intent on driving them away.
Parents/families can be overly protective.
If they ram your port side turn to stbd 90*, maybe that's their objective.. GTFOH..
Thank you old dog, you are proof positive that there is intelligent life left here at CF!
Old 10-08-2022, 18:18   #140

Sailing 55, so what are you going to do if orcas show up and start smashing up your boat?

Just curious.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:50   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Sailing 55, so what are you going to do if orcas show up and start smashing up your boat?

Just curious.
Try my best to get away...what would you do? What defence is there against an animal of that size?
Of course doing my utmost to avoid provoking Orcas is a no brainer in my opinion.
What leads you to believe that I would be in danger of having my boat smashed by Orcas anyway? Because I live and sail in an area where they live? Perhaps they blame me for their shrinking food source and habitat?

Just curious...
Old 10-08-2022, 18:59   #142
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Look the reality is for the vast majority of leisure sailors is that if a predator that size wants to destroy your fragile plastic boat or even eat you, you are likely to die , simple. At best you might have the equivalent of a bread knife for “ defence”

I’ve had big whales alongside several times. We are puny in comparison

So ignore the macho stuff it’s just armchair nonsense
Old 10-08-2022, 19:46   #143

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post

Just curious.
Only one thing TO do...Click image for larger version

Name:	a-man-with-a-cowboy-hat-rides-a-killer-whale_u-l-q1207vr0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	262623
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:06   #144

Boat: 1980 Rebel Day Sailer I 16.9ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
What seems to discourage it is motoring slowly astern. No reason for it working, except that it seems to, and it was the local fishermen who discovered that as a tactic, it works.
This situation fascinates me. I've been doing some "research" (using that word lightly) and swimming backwards isn't something big mammals and fish seem to do (except dolphins, and maybe a few more species). So, I wonder if motoring backwards lets the Orcas know this isn't food and stops the attack. Just a thought.
Diosadelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:42   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing55 View Post
Try my best to get away...what would you do? What defence is there against an animal of that size?
Of course doing my utmost to avoid provoking Orcas is a no brainer in my opinion.
What leads you to believe that I would be in danger of having my boat smashed by Orcas anyway? Because I live and sail in an area where they live? Perhaps they blame me for their shrinking food source and habitat?

Just curious...
There is no getting away if your boat is disabled by orcas, like has happened to numerous yachts.

I would try to get the orcas to stop by any means available, whether legal or not. Hopefully a reliable method is found, and soon. But if pingers worked, for example, and I had one available, I would not have the slightest interest in whether someone considered it harassment of the orcas if it meant saving the boat from sinking at sea.

I'm not packing an RPG to shoot orcas with, but I don't see anyone posting on here that is advocating that either.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 13:26   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Manage this risk as you would any other; lightning, storm, pirates, etc.

If the risk bothers you then don’t go out.

If you do go out then do it in a boat likely to survive. The last power boats (fishermen) likely have little risk because of relatively small and well supported rudders.

If you go out in a at risk boat then go out bearing the knowledge it may not end well.

Think if it like driving in a snow storm.

A Corvette is likely not your best choice.
If you must go out in a blizzard use the a REAL 4WD vehicle.
If you go out anyway and get stuck or slide iff the road then it is on you deciding to take the risk.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 14:17   #147

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I question the statement that, "it's their world."

Are not humans allowed to use the ocean too?

My friend was blocked from accessing his boat when the dock was occupied by a large California Sea Lion which objected to my friend's passage.

Spraying the Sea Lion with water from a nearby hose was deemed harassment and a passerby threatened to report the incident.

So, I get that we should not harass these marine mammals but it seems a bit unfair that they get to eat our rudders, sink our boats, and take over our docks.

I wonder what would happen if they decided to blockade our shipping traffic?

California law says that pinnipeds exhibiting aggresive behaviour may be detered by any method including boat poles and the like as long as it doesn't physically harm the sea lion. Non agressive sea lions may be deterred by noise or water hoses. Next time your passerby threatens to "turn you in," tell them to go right ahead.
Old 11-08-2022, 19:25   #148

Boat: Young 42

No way killing whales should be seriously considered. As sailors, we all know about the potential dangers of whale encounters. A friend of mine spent 66 days surviving in a life raft after having his sailboat sunk by a pod of pilot whales. While crossing the Atlantic, I had a close encounter with a pod of fin whales that came at my vessel and passed under my hull. It was scary, but awesome. In the Mozambique channel, sailboats are often damaged or sunk when encountering sleeping humpback whales. It's just part of living on a boat in THEIR space. If you don't like it, stay on land, but don't kill any whales!
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 22:02   #149

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

After I read the first 40 posts I realized that if there is a problem with too many close Orca encounters it proves there are lots of them around, so what is the justification for listing Orcas as an endangered species? Or are they so smart that the few remaining and highly endangered individuals have all gotten together to take out the humans that dare to invade their territory?

BTW, same situation applies to sharks. Thankfully they are too dumb to organize intelligently.
Old 11-08-2022, 22:24   #150

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Can we do something about those nasty storms that make sailing so dangerous? I mean at Disney world every thing is so sweet and harmless

Please work to remove all risk out of life

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat