Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2022, 04:48   #241

Boat: Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Started this discussion hoping to get some practical ideas or insights into what to do beyond the official protocols which basically say “do nothing”.

Why this is happening I will leave to the coming years of marine research.

Anyway, after following the entire thread I picked up one or two ideas. Thank you.

Finally, whether or not we invite our Japanese fishing mates to clear the water is a philosophical topic. A topic that will no doubt continue be discussed here and elsewhere.
AJAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 05:26   #242

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dr, Levy,

Curious, which ideas did you pick up on?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 06:04   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
Interestingly, Iceland had no indigenous people. Worse, it's first inhabitants were primarily subjugated Irish. It's amazing to learn that a vast majority of the current population has haplotypes specific to Ireland due to this.
"Gulatings-loven" (old Norwegian laws from the early 900 AC) - it said that you had to brew beer for the Jul-festivities, in equal ammount to the weight of your wife. Failure to do so lead to a two schilling fine - the price of half a cow (a fortune back in the day). Failure to meet the quota two years in a row - the king and bishop would split everything you owned equally between the church and state - and send you to live the rest of your life in exile. Everyone knows that the majority of the Icelandic people are decendants of alcohol refugees (abstainers). I guess the icelanders finally somewhat came to understand the "purpose" of beer - they now drink in the same fashion that they dress for the party where the drinking is to happen - like someone who desperately needs to be put in an insane asylum... "skål"! to my Icelandic friends - love you.

As for the discussion of killing anything at sea. I for one will, within reason, take my boat just about anywhere I damn please (where I am legally allowed). If anything or anyone puts me, my crew or my boat in danger - I will do whatever I can do to defend all the living aboard and the boat itself - with no regrets whatever pain and damage to the attacker. This does not mean I am insensitive or that I won't go out of my way to prevent incidents, or that I won't strive to minimize injury to the ocra.

Not sure how I would fend off a killer whale though, I bet it would kick my ass... Dynamite to knock it uncouncious, Napalm, Buckets of fast working laxatives, fish filled with extacy and moonshine, put loud speakers in the water and play polka music on full volume (one song on repeat), paint a giant shark on the bottom of the boat with an ocra coming ou.t of its ass.. or throw one of you "whale lovers" over board to negotiate the peace while I get the boat and crew out of the way? I think the last one would be most effective in preventing injury to both the ocra and the boat+crew.
Gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 06:06   #244

Boat: Bavaria Vision 40

Sorry hpeer buddy, I have to take the fifth on this one
AJAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 08:34   #245

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Started this discussion hoping to get some practical ideas or insights into what to do beyond the official protocols which basically say “do nothing”.

Why this is happening I will leave to the coming years of marine research.

Anyway, after following the entire thread I picked up one or two ideas. Thank you.

Finally, whether or not we invite our Japanese fishing mates to clear the water is a philosophical topic. A topic that will no doubt continue be discussed here and elsewhere.

"Finally, whether or not we invite our Japanese fishing mates to clear the water is a philosophical topic. A topic that will no doubt continue be discussed here and elsewhere.[/QUOTE]"

Clear the Water?
Unlikely.

They would have a HOT mess of Environmental Folks. On that
The Japanese Fishing fleet are marauders, not fisherman, or Mates!
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:38   #246

They're baaaaaack
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...8OOmjy7mY3Umjc

Or more likely never went away
Desertweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:10   #247
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
"Gulatings-loven" (old Norwegian laws from the early 900 AC) - it said that you had to brew beer for the Jul-festivities, in equal ammount to the weight of your wife. Failure to do so lead to a two schilling fine - the price of half a cow (a fortune back in the day). Failure to meet the quota two years in a row - the king and bishop would split everything you owned equally between the church and state - and send you to live the rest of your life in exile. Everyone knows that the majority of the Icelandic people are decendants of alcohol refugees (abstainers). I guess the icelanders finally somewhat came to understand the "purpose" of beer - they now drink in the same fashion that they dress for the party where the drinking is to happen - like someone who desperately needs to be put in an insane asylum... "skål"! to my Icelandic friends - love you.

As for the discussion of killing anything at sea. I for one will, within reason, take my boat just about anywhere I damn please (where I am legally allowed). If anything or anyone puts me, my crew or my boat in danger - I will do whatever I can do to defend all the living aboard and the boat itself - with no regrets whatever pain and damage to the attacker. This does not mean I am insensitive or that I won't go out of my way to prevent incidents, or that I won't strive to minimize injury to the ocra.

Not sure how I would fend off a killer whale though, I bet it would kick my ass... Dynamite to knock it uncouncious, Napalm, Buckets of fast working laxatives, fish filled with extacy and moonshine, put loud speakers in the water and play polka music on full volume (one song on repeat), paint a giant shark on the bottom of the boat with an ocra coming ou.t of its ass.. or throw one of you "whale lovers" over board to negotiate the peace while I get the boat and crew out of the way? I think the last one would be most effective in preventing injury to both the ocra and the boat+crew.

Surefire practical solutions , my chandlery however seemed perplexed when I asked for dynamite , or napalm. My local police looked rather peculiarly at me when I suggested I needed a gun to shoot a protected species

Given that the most lethal thing I have on board is a bread knife , perhaps we could limit discussions to Ninja bread knife techniques against an apex predator.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:54   #248

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

The only reasonable solution, obviously, are exploding rudders. Having this protection available helps me sleep easy at night. I keep a couple spares under the bunk.

Are these orca interactions limited to Portugal?
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:04   #249

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Me-thinks it's learned behaviour/sport/entertainment within a small group. All it takes is one to figure out that besides surfing bow waves, grabbing that wobbly thing at the back of boats is also fun...maybe they even grab hold and get towed along for a free ride!

Will be interesting to see if it spreads to other areas over time as Orca leave to join other pods.
N Coast Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 15:44   #250

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

As long as dolphins don't get in on the act. I'm reminded of Hitchcock's The Birds.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:45   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
The only reasonable solution, obviously, are exploding rudders. Having this protection available helps me sleep easy at night. I keep a couple spares under the bunk.

They are happening all the way From Gibraltar to Galicia but it may be the same pod since they move a lot keeping up with the tuna
Desertweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:42   #252
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post

UER ( unintentional exploding rudder ) is a worldwide problem with blue water cruisers with long keels.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:58   #253
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

And suddenly disappearing spade rudders on fin keelers..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:21   #254
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And suddenly disappearing spade rudders on fin keelers..

Sorry this is prescient design ,when you see an orca approach you jettison the spade rudder and the orca looses interest.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:53   #255

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Sorry hpeer buddy, I have to take the fifth on this one
Chciken!
Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat