Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2024, 06:12   #361

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG.
1.You rarely get to see the Iberian orcas before they hit the boat.
2.The current official advice is to RUN RUN RUN DO NOT STOP full power towards shallow water.
3.The best solution is avoidance by staying in shallow water <20m

Earlier attacks where stopping was advised resulted in very prolonged attacks, up to 2 hours, and extensive damage to the vessel.
Correct WOT your engines and RUN and if you sail this water take cubanitos with. Yes they are forbidden but if my boat and therfor life gets attacked by orcas i do everything necessary to defend and fear them off.

Go to orca.pt, register and take part in Telegram or WhatsApp group. Their you get the approx location of the orcas,can write and talk directly with RUI, the orca expert that is studiying these orca Iberica and going daily out with his boat Elsa to mark where they are and study them...so if you see Elsa on your AIS don't go near to it as thats where the orcas are.
Cannot believe such an outdated BS is still in press...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 06:18   #362

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I know, I was approached by a pod of 10 Orca mid Atlantic a few years back the leader was as big as my Bene 321 and had a dorsal fin nearly 6ft long..
They circled the boat several times giving me the eyeball then fell into formation alongside and astern of me.
They then accompanied me for 5 days leaving around 10 am, presumably to hunt/feed then return around sundown to snooze in my wake.
The first night I heard them in my wake and shone my spot light, they responded with tail slapping so I quickly switched off, said "Sorry guys" and never repeated it.
Never felt threatened, in fact the company was rather nice.
I presume they left when I got too far East of the whales migratory route North from the Caribe.. I was heading for Europe.
Yes mid ocean with normal behaving orcas yes i would have mixed feelings but be rather facinated. but the young iberican orcas are a different orca which clearly shows abnormal behaviour which is threating your vessel by hitting, destroying your rudders and endangering my life. Doesn't matter if expert call this playing...its playing with my life and existence.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat