Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 10:50   #61

Re: Sending a Mayday for Pirates

Good title.. Send a Mayday FOR the Pirates.. They wouldn't know what to think...

I understand there are problems on the gulf side of Honduras. I have thought of this often. If all other measures fail...Am considering if under good winds to position my boat first off such that they are in my wash. Then pump out alot of the fuel such that they sail into it. They wont smell it until they are well into the fuel slick. then ignite it with the flare gun. They will be easy to find with a blackened hull or worse. Fire at sea is a fearful event. And they wont get a boat with full tanks of fuel.

May be too extreme for some..
I don't believe in an eye for an eye.
You take my eye I take your head off.

There is no deterent in breaking even.....
Signed.
The Extreme...
Old 20-12-2019, 11:21   #62

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Don't you think if you start shooting at pirates (which I agree, are rare), they are going to shoot back with real guns?
Old 20-12-2019, 11:28   #63

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Send a DSC distress call. It uses VHF channel 70. If you have HF, send a DSC distress call on the 8,000 kHz band.

If you want a countermeasure, carry several lengths of polypropylene line and cast it out astern (clear of your prop). It floats, and there's a chance it will foul their prop. (I'm assuming here they're in a motorboat. If they're sailing, I'd ask for their autographs.)

A 12 gauge shotgun is the best deterrent. I prefer rifled slugs - they'll punch a hole in most light hulls at a decent range.

The only pirates I've ever encountered called themselves Tax Collectors.
Nominated for best post of the thread. Practical advice with hilarity as a finisher...gotta love it!
Old 20-12-2019, 12:22   #64

Re: Sending a Mayday FOR Pirates

If you boat has a compression post this can be a good place to conceal firearms.
Old 20-12-2019, 12:39   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
Hi all, I recently read that prior to pirates trying to board a yacht channel 16 was jammed by them playing music. In your opinion... what would be the best way to send out a Mayday? (SSB Radio methods to relay message passed the vhf area, Satilight Phone calling local authorities (best numbers to call?), SpotX sos message? What are other options you use?
A VHF channel is not truly jammed by other communications occurring simultaneously it just becomes an overlayed communication, i.e., words expressed over a music background, which indeed can make a May Day call a bit harder to understand. But if the words May Day are not part of the rap lyrics of the Pirates music other boats within hailing distance will likely hear the distress call and then pay attention to your message within the clutter . One may need to state your message several times for others to be able to garner the requisite information and / or others may suggest moving to alternate channels, albeit the pirate may be the person suggesting you both go to the alternate channel. It is somewhat like being on an old fashion Party line when multiple persons on the shared telephone line are simultaneously using the same communication line. Dating myself, recalling needing to ask other party liners to please get off the line so as to allow for use of the line to call another independent third party.

Of course any and all other radio communication capabilities could be used in addition to VHF, there being no reason to preclude contact help by alternate methods particularly if line of sight factors into the transmission capabilities. If you are on a sailboat with a top of mast mounted antenna one may have greater height of transmitter than the pirate and thus be able to communicate to further distance contacts. The pirate ships transmission may not be in line of sight of the receiver whereas the sailboats higher antenna may have greater transmitting distance. In a May Day situation you are trying to get your message out to others for garnering their assistance, you don't need to have confirmation back from the receiver of a May Day message, albeit it would offer psychological comfort to you if you did receive such confirmation. What you really need is prompt and appropriate assistance. In the situation of a May Day involving a pirate boarding, one would not expect that a recreational mariner or commercial ship would come towards your vessel as doing such would invoke placing their own self into similar jeopardy. Your hope lies in your communication being repeated to relatively nearby maritime authorities that could promptly bring armed, high speed vessels to confront the pirates and negotiate your safe release, or to arrest the pirates when they have departed your boat so as to recover your stolen possessions and of course to take the pirates into custody so as to not have the pirates be of further endangerment to other mariners.

What to do if no one responds to your distress call
Tune your HF radiotelephone to an HF channel guarded by the Coast Guard, and repeat your mayday call. Activate your EPIRB.

Global Maritime Distress & Safety System
VHF maritime channel 70 (156.525 MHz) is authorized exclusively for distress, safety and calling purposes using digital selective calling (DSC) techniques. No other uses are permitted.

Channel 70 is used to send distress alerts, safety announcements and for calling purposes under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). Many vessels are now equipped with DSC capability and are using channel 70 for this purpose. It is essential that this channel be protected.

And of course try using alternate supplemental channels, such as Channel 9 which may not being overlayed by a Pirate's music.
Old 20-12-2019, 12:55   #66

Well if they are listening to that jammed signal ,I hope they enjoy their choice of music . It will be the last music they hear. I am working and have worked too hard for everything I have , and now I am selling my home and realizing a dream I’ve had , becoming a liveaboard and these low life cowards are not taking it from me. Small number of instances or not . I am now and will become better prepared , yes the usual boating preparations, but also a legal concealed weapon and more than one choice to use in that instance. Standing up to bullies always proves to eliminate them.
Old 20-12-2019, 13:04   #67

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A VHF channel is not truly jammed by other communications occurring simultaneously it just becomes an overlayed communication, i.e., words expressed over a music background, which indeed can make a May Day call a bit harder to understand.
Marine VHF uses FM, and so should be subject to the FM capture effect. That is, only the stronger of the two signals will be demodulated and the weaker signal suppressed. However, with a stronger signal and higher antenna, the odds might be in your favor.

Where you do get an overlay is with AM signals, so if you happen to fly aircraft you might be used to this.
Old 20-12-2019, 13:07   #68

Well ....... if you hear music on channel 16 and if this happens to you at least you will know that the pirates are coming ......

Batton down the hatches, break out the weapons, and broadcast on an available VHF channel. Once you make contact with another vessel give them position and situation information.

Better to be prepared rather than a victim.
Old 20-12-2019, 13:30   #69

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Piracy against cruising boats is actually rare. It happens, but so do muggings in most major cities, even local areas. Most of us go about our business in cities being alert but not being constantly fearful.

But being approached by swarthy men in a scruffy boat is common. Carrying firearms and using one when you are scared about an approaching boat will almost certainly have a bad outcome.

If they are not pirates and you start shooting you are really risking a serious criminal charge. Even if you run away afterwards you will always be looking over your shoulder.

If it is a pirate you will soon be engaged in a gun fight. (Maybe they will simply turn away but if they are hopped up young men with automatic or semiautomatic weapons they will be jittery and can start firing back. You will likely be outgunned). Anyhow people will be killed. Even if we win few of us will have uninterrupted sleep after killing someone.

Even people who have been boarded by bad guys are more likely to be robbed but not hurt. There is no guarantee of this of course.

A gun fight, however, is never going to have a good outcome.

For this reason, (and aside from the consequences of being caught with hidden guns aboard) we have not carried guns. We agree with the proposed escape plans (rough water, going as fast as you can), and communicating with authorities if possible.

Communications, and being prepared for making communications, probably satellite phone to friendly military authorities will being the quickest response and I would recommend this, even though most of your calls will be false alarms.

Further we have avoided dangerous areas. In 34 years, including a circumnavigation, we have never felt in danger from anyone who approached us at sea or on land.

Piracy is serious, and we all should be aware of it. But living in fear of every person you see is something that is just not worth it for me. I'd rather stay home.
Old 20-12-2019, 14:40   #70

As a retired LEO, I can tell you that calling mayday, firing flares, etc. are as useless as tits on a boar hog-- by the time "help" comes, they can only take a report, if you are still alive. You must have the means to defend yourself, and train to do it.
Old 20-12-2019, 14:49   #71

Forget about the Barbra Streisand "Mayday". No one on earth would get to you in time. You have to learn to develop some "cojones", and defend yourself, or just sail safely around coastal U.S.
Old 20-12-2019, 15:00   #72

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
As a retired LEO, I can tell you that calling mayday, firing flares, etc. are as useless as tits on a boar hog-- by the time "help" comes, they can only take a report, if you are still alive. You must have the means to defend yourself, and train to do it.
Most cruisers I've met do not carry guns on board. (Some do, but it is rare. Reasons given below).

Most countries will ask if you have any guns.

If you say you do, they will require that you turn them over until you leave.

If you say you do not, then, if searched and found you may be deemed guilty of gun smuggling. At the very least you will lose your gun and may go to jail.

The bottom line is that if you carry a gun it is a hassle, almost everywhere.

And it won't do you any good unless it is handy, and you are prepared to get into a gun fight, then the decision is when to engage. All in all, I'd say it is dangerous and unlikely to be of help. (you will be surprised, you won't be ready, there will be indecision, or you will shoot at the wrong people)

Yes, I know there are people who want to be armed and will shrug off any argument against it. I personally feel less safe around those who are packing than those who are not.

Most of the people who advocate being armed with guns have not cruised very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Forget about the Barbra Streisand "Mayday". No one on earth would get to you in time. You have to learn to develop some "cojones", and defend yourself, or just sail safely around coastal U.S.
conchaway, I find this offensive. You are making this all about macho, and "cojones", which are very stupid reasons for doing something, and when there are some other considerations, common sense and intelligent decisions being a couple of them. But stick to your guns (pun intended) and I hope you are not actually out there cruising with that macho attitude.
Old 20-12-2019, 15:06   #73
Marine Service Provider

You all sound like a group of schoolgirls crying at the distant sound of a wolf. Pathetic and ridiculous.

Just to confirm I have circumnavigated twice. The Red Sea both times. Trinidad & Venezuela both times. China, Philippines PNG etc. another few times.

Yes there are people who rob and steal. Probably more in your home town than out here.
Old 20-12-2019, 15:49   #74

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

If all else fails, the sound of multiple rounds of 12 gauge buckshot leaving your Remington 870 might counter the sound of the music being heard on channel 16.
Old 20-12-2019, 17:00   #75

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Your most dangerous weapon is your mind. Use it to your advantage. Firearms are not the only tool at your disposal. Be creative. Thx-Ace

Tags
grass