Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 11:05   #91

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Sending a Mayday for Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman49 View Post
If you’re in an isolated area, the only rescue is probably going to be that of your carcass. Firearm best deterrent, outcome always in question. If I shot a pirate or pirates dead, I’d haul anchor, sail away and never admit anything to anyone, even US authorities. Also, when sure I was well away from danger, firearms and ammo overboard. Wash down vessel if they happened to actually board. I would NEVER stick around and deal with foreign LE. Look at the US person arrested in Anguilla defending his family. For example, in UK, if you kill a person trying to kill you, it is murder.

That may be true, but if you are tried for murder, at least you are still alive. Just sayin.
Old 22-12-2019, 11:12   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Good title.. Send a Mayday FOR the Pirates.. They wouldn't know what to think...

I understand there are problems on the gulf side of Honduras. I have thought of this often. If all other measures fail...Am considering if under good winds to position my boat first off such that they are in my wash. Then pump out alot of the fuel such that they sail into it. They wont smell it until they are well into the fuel slick. then ignite it with the flare gun. They will be easy to find with a blackened hull or worse. Fire at sea is a fearful event. And they wont get a boat with full tanks of fuel.

May be too extreme for some..
I don't believe in an eye for an eye.
You take my eye I take your head off.

There is no deterent in breaking even.....
Signed.
The Extreme...

Have you tried setting floating diesel fuel alight? It will take some doing. Even gasoline can be surprisingly stubborn when floating on water, though it is going to be a lot easier to light off than diesel. In warm weather you will probably get a very intimidating flash from the gasoline vapors.
Old 22-12-2019, 11:37   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave99 View Post
Don't you think if you start shooting at pirates (which I agree, are rare), they are going to shoot back with real guns?

Depends. Maybe not, if you have "real" guns as well. The smart ones will wait for a more submissive bunch of boaters who will meekly comply with the pirates. Safer that way. Pirates want safe working conditions just like the rest of us. As long as there are plenty of unarmed, helpless, and compliant yachts, those will be the preferred victim. Piracy is not a trophy hunt where sportsmanship or the challenge of the hunt is the objective. It is a way to make easy money, at least relatively speaking.

The situation where this would not apply is where they intend to kill you and take your boat, anyway. You can die on your knees with a gun at the back of your head or a parang at your throat, or you can die surrounded by hot brass with the bad guys in your sights, or you can maybe survive the encounter. The first of those three options would fill my last instant of consciousness with utter shame. What a horrible way to go, regretting that I took no steps whatsoever to ensure the safety of myself, my boat, and those sailing with me. Far better to have never sailed through the area in the first place.

Most of us ignore the risk, since statistically the chances of being attacked are extremely low. I can see the reasoning there. Especially for someone who has an unnatural fear of firearms or total unfamiliarity coming from a country where only criminals and police have them, or a complete unwillingness for religious or philosophical reasons to counter violence with more violence or the threat of violence. Sometimes logic has nothing to do with the choice to arm or not to arm, and that's okay. Many people feel that they answer to a higher power that does not condone any action more belligerant than turning the other cheek. I don't disagree. Just saying that being armed probably results in a higher survival rate, and if not, at least makes a pirate's day more difficult. And consciously assuming the risk of attack because it is a small one is probably not much worse than walking out on a golf course when cumulonimbus clouds start marching in. Except for the fact that lightning does not strike out of human greed but pirates do, and prefer unarmed victims.
Old 22-12-2019, 12:25   #94
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

For a larger boat, here's a possible idea to discourage boarding: Fire hose system plumbed into the holding tank...
Old 22-12-2019, 16:56   #95

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Granted that true piracy attacks are very unusual. But we have sailed numerous times in areas where they have occurred during several hundred thousand miles. We have had suspicious activity and an attempt to ram our boat. Several cases involved known drug smuggling. In these cases use of a VHF may be detrimental. We have always used HAM radio to contact authorities. In some cases we have used HF to call CG in the USA.

Many of the responses suggest that those who answer have never ventured out of US waters, where laws and rules are entirely different. On the other hand, there are a number of very valid observations about the negative of using weapons.

We carried weapons, very well hidden, but quickly accessible. We are both well trained in their use. We were searched a number of times and the weapons never found. There were a couple of times when the weapons were broken out, and we stood watch with those on the ready. Never had a reason to reveal the presence, let alone fire.

The only time I had to confront someone who boarded our vessel against my order not to, I was armed with a machete, my wife was backing me from a place with line of sight, but she was not visible.

Some 2 meter ham amplifiers will work adequately on the VHF marine frequencies and put out (Illegally) up to 200 watts. That would override the "jamming by Pirates". The increased distance would be minimal in most cases. The fact that DSC is on 70 is also well documented.

As to the question as to how to communicate otherwise, I would suggest satellite phone. Text message by Inreach or Spot, is going to be slow and may or may not get to someone who could help.

Also all of our cruising boats had compressor driven/tank storage air horns. 5 blasts of the air horn might gain attention. (Depending on the dB rating) In todays World, I would consider a siren/speaker capable of high sound levels. There are also very low frequency sound weapons which can be made or acquired. There are lasers which are capable of damaging vision. (Blue or green, Class 4 at 5 watt and relatively close distances.) Many of these technologies may not be "legal"...

Both of our long distance cruising sail boats had range under power of 3,000 miles at 6 knots and were capable of speeds close to 9 knots.
Old 22-12-2019, 17:30   #96

You are a PIGGYBANK. Look at your boat, unless your haitian.
Old 25-12-2019, 02:35   #97

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
Hi all, I recently read that prior to pirates trying to board a yacht channel 16 was jammed by them playing music. In your opinion... what would be the best way to send out a Mayday? (SSB Radio methods to relay message passed the vhf area, Satilight Phone calling local authorities (best numbers to call?), SpotX sos message? What are other options you use?
Strange topic indeed. Local authorities? You might have rather imminent survival problems, fiddling with your gadges seems kind of futile.
Old 01-01-2020, 16:19   #98

Boat: Melges 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
By far the best response to this post is this
Uncle Bob...

Your clueless. Trained and Untrained?" Victim or NOT a Victim?

Proven FACT... The bad guys feed on weak aka Soft Targets. The second they find out that the assumed soft target is in fact a hard target. They give up. YES they might shoot back a little bit but I choose not to be a Victim.

It's nice to think that your going to be saved by someone else or that the bad guys are going to stop at stealing your Rolex....Good luck with that.

And again --- Fully understanding that piracy is virtually Zero risk... But hey Bob if you want to take that chance with you, your family and friends. Well good luck.

My wife and I are trained and will not be a victim. And since your so hung up on American movies.... "I'm your Huckleberry"

I can absolutely tell you that we don't actually worry about it at all. But we are prepared -- just in case some "dumb ****" decides to do something stupid.

I think it's worth coming up with a plan of action just in case something happens. No different then "man over board" drills.

Cheers and focus on great sailing/cruising.

Also- Don't travel to areas that are at a high risk level.

Tim
Old 01-01-2020, 16:41   #99

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbokc View Post
Uncle Bob...

Proven FACT... The bad guys feed on weak aka Soft Targets. The second they find out that the assumed soft target is in fact a hard target. They give up. YES they might shoot back a little bit but I choose not to be a Victim.

It's nice to think that your going to be saved by someone else or that the bad guys are going to stop at stealing your Rolex....Good luck with that.

And again --- Fully understanding that piracy is virtually Zero risk... But hey Bob if you want to take that chance with you, your family and friends. Well good luck.

My wife and I are trained and will not be a victim. And since your so hung up on American movies.... "I'm your Huckleberry"

I can absolutely tell you that we don't actually worry about it at all. But we are prepared -- just in case some "dumb ****" decides to do something stupid.

I think it's worth coming up with a plan of action just in case something happens. No different then "man over board" drills.

Tim
Perhaps in your exalted opinion I am clueless, and perhaps using your incredible powers of literacy and comprehension, you will have noted that I was in fact quoting another post as, in my opinion, the best response here.
As a traveller across the seas far and wide you are no doubt well aware of the response of authorities in many if not most parts of the world, to foreigners "importing" firearms and weapons in general.
But, hey, your prepared!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 01-01-2020, 17:45   #100

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbokc View Post
Uncle Bob...

Tim
timbukc, I think you're the clueless one. Uncle Bob sounds like a prudent, seasoned, well informed cruiser, not a gun nut with fantasy visions of shoot-outs on the high seas.

When you actually get out of Kansas City gun ranges and start dealing with foreign officials and real life you'll have to decide if the hassle of illegal gun running is worth it or if you'll decide just to get out of it and stay in the flyover country where you apparently live.
Old 02-01-2020, 00:56   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

After one hundred posts the subject has drifted to the point we are going to close it before we have all out war in the thread.

Pete
Closed Thread

Tags
grass