Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 06:22   #46
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Shark attack St Martin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I thought it was quite good eating....not the best seafood I've ever had, but certainly not bad.

they also serve alligator to those willing to eat it. I won't even touch catfish though many do. just give me some fresh wahoo or grouper and I'll be fine
Old 14-12-2020, 06:28   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I've never had shark fin soup before...but I have ate shark....very occasionally....in the past...
Indeed. We may have all, unknowingly, eaten shark, ray, or skate.

The New York Attorney General released a report [1], in December of 2018, on seafood fraud and mislabeling. Their investigation revealed over 50% of the fish sold at supermarket chains are mislabeled.

This is far from the first time the fish industry has faced accusations of fraud. In 2013, nonprofit ocean protection group, Oceana, took samples of fish nationwide, and found that 59% of what was labeled tuna, sold at restaurants and grocery stores, was not [2]. The same group found that 33% of the samples analyzed were mislabeled, based on U.S. Food and Drug Administration guidelines. That included high-mercury tilefish, which was being sold as halibut or red snapper, and grouper mislabeled as king mackerel.

As for identifying scallops: One way is to look for the "leg", that attaches the edible adductor muscle to the scallop shell. The small flap usually remains on the side of the scallop, when sold, and varies slightly in color and texture; it is most obvious in sea scallops, which are larger. The "leg" often is removed before cooking, because it has a tendency to become tough.
Scallops from nature will vary in size and never have a perfect cylinder shape to them. Fake scallops have an identical circumference because they are made using a cookie cutter device. Also, if you see one edge thicker then the other, it’s either stingray or skate wings, which taper greatly from one side to the other.
Genuine scallops have distinct grains or fibers running lengthwise, as the edible part of scallop meat serves as a muscle, that holds the two scallop shells together. A fake scallop will have fewer fibers and appear more solid and dense.

“SEAFOOD FRAUD AND MISLABELING IN NEW YORK STATE SUPERMARKETS”
[1]https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...y_business.pdf

“Oceana Study Reveals Seafood Fraud Nationwide”

[2]https://oceana.org/reports/oceana-st...aud-nationwide

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:12   #48

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
...Their investigation revealed over 50% of the fish sold at supermarket chains are mislabeled.

Uggh. This make me happy that we get fish from the lagoon or the fishing boat, rather than a store. I'll take gutting and cleaning over mystery meat any day...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:38   #49

while working aboard a large sailing yacht , we were anchored outside of St Barts for some weeks . if I remember correctly they would slaughter cows down by the harbor entrance and take the remains that were left and not used to another location to release to the sea ...on a day other crew members were taking the cat taxi to st marten as we watched them go by we noticed a floating object . turned out to be a bloated cow stomach ....this stomach was being attacked by a large tiger shark . it was quite comical at the time as it tried to attack the bloated stomach would just move away from the shark . some locals. also witnessed this . and the next day went shark fishing . the caught 3 very large tigers not far off from where we were anchored . needless to say I adjusted my swimming habits . this was in the early 80's .
robert 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:48   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
However, just recently in February we were moored on the west side of Bora Bora. We were swimming around the boat and hanging off the swim ladder...what many do after a day of sailing.

Well, we had JUST climbed back up onto the boat when a huge ass shark surfaced behind us, swam down the starboard side of the yacht, then disappeared. Obviously we never saw it when we were splashing about.

Not to be melodramatic, but this disturbed me. I've always kind of felt secure around the boat.....if you see a shark just climb back onboard. We never saw this shark and it had been close. Probably nothing would've happened had we stayed in the water, but there is a small amount of doubt. Obviously this shark wasn't afraid of humans as many people allege sharks are.

There was a Delo's video where they were diving, I think off Ascension island, where there was a big shark in the water. If I remember right it was showing aggressive behavior so they got out of the water.

What was really interesting is how the shark would swim in and out of view. One second you could see it, then it was gone, then it was back, then gone. My assumption was that the shark could sense the divers in the water but my question was could it see the people beyond the distance the people could see the shark? Was the shark swimming into and out of view to eyeball the divers because the human and sharks see the same distance under water?

It was obvious that the shark knew the divers were there before the divers knew the shark was there. The shark could certainly attack the divers very quickly, and likely before they knew what was about to happen, or had happened.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:10   #51

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert 56 View Post
while working aboard a large sailing yacht , we were anchored outside of St Barts for some weeks . if I remember correctly they would slaughter cows down by the harbor entrance and take the remains that were left and not used to another location to release to the sea ...on a day other crew members were taking the cat taxi to st marten as we watched them go by we noticed a floating object . turned out to be a bloated cow stomach ....this stomach was being attacked by a large tiger shark . it was quite comical at the time as it tried to attack the bloated stomach would just move away from the shark . some locals. also witnessed this . and the next day went shark fishing . the caught 3 very large tigers not far off from where we were anchored . needless to say I adjusted my swimming habits . this was in the early 80's .

They did this in Hawai'i in the early 1900's as well. They would take dead horses from Honolulu and drop them offshore. This lead to a boat tour that went out to watch the sharks. Consequently most of the shark attacks in Hawai'i happen around Oahu.
Old 14-12-2020, 10:15   #52

Boat: Tartan 33

Tragic incident. However, these attacks remain really rare despite the number of humans invading their space. My only encounter with a Shark was in pelican bay, Florida. We were swimming around the boat when my wife saw the fin. I didn't wait to check the species and jumped back on the boat. There is something fascinating and at the same time terrifying about sharks.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:16   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

An excellent book is,"Shadows in the Deep."
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:31   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

my understanding is that sharks urinate thru' their skin.....exactly how this is done and why, I could not say...but I've heard tell from people that know more about this than I do, that right after a shark is caught and brought on the boat, it has to be dispatched and bled in a certain manner in order to wash the pee outa the meat....and it has to be done right there and then...you can't throw it in the cooler to do it later.....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 18:44   #55

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I never used to worry about flying or sharks, now I watch Air Disasters on National Geo Channel and I get nervous when swimming off the boat by our home on the North Fork of Long Island. Never thought twice about it as a kid. My brothers and I used to purposely slow the boat down when we were water skiing so you would sink into a school of bunker or jelly fish. We thought that and wipe out competition was hilarious. For those of you down South, you can't see more then a few feet in the water up here. Now we are all aware that the little Great Whites have there nursery area between Gardners Island and Montauk. We have seals now all the way in by Port Washington where we grew up, which is about five miles from the NYC by the Throgs Neck Bridge. The last time I went Kayaking was this past Thanksgiving at our Families house out on the East end of the North Fork. Basically Orient Point / Shelter Island. While out in the middle of the bay I looked around and realized I was the only boat anywhere to be seen. Started thinking my long narrow blue kayak looks like a seal from below. Freaked me out, I never paddled back to shore so fast in my life. I was mad at myself for being such a puss. Freaked out again while cleaning my boat in Block Island this year. Keel was playing tricks on me, and lots of sharks this year because of the seals. What a whimp huh? Can't believe I think about this crap. Been on the water my since I was an infant. Ughhhh
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 04:16   #56

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
Tragic incident. However, these attacks remain really rare despite the number of humans invading their space. My only encounter with a Shark was in pelican bay, Florida. We were swimming around the boat when my wife saw the fin. I didn't wait to check the species and jumped back on the boat. There is something fascinating and at the same time terrifying about sharks.

I do a lot of scuba and run into sharks semi-frequently, especially here in the Keys. There is always that split second before you identify the species (usually non aggressive especially inside the shallower bays) that your mind screams "SHARK!!!" and you go through twice the air you normally do.
Old 15-12-2020, 05:42   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Sharks feeding & 1 getting eaten
Feasts are rare on the barren landscape of the ocean depths. So researchers couldn't believe their luck when they stumbled on a feeding frenzy of deep-sea sharks chowing down on a fallen swordfish off the US coast in July 2019.
But they never imagined they would also capture footage of one of those sharks becoming the prey for another deep-sea creature.
Morehttps://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...-a-whole-shark

Video & More
https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okean...harks-log.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 11:42   #58

Saw a tiger once. While diving a wall that drops off a rocky shore in PNG. Just down the coast from Madang.

There's an upwelling that brings up nutrients creating lots of food. Loads of big pelagics hang in the current in front of the wall pointing out to sea feeding. We joined them. Pointing out into the blue alongside. Then a huge tiger drifted past just in front of us. We backed up to the wall and crawled out backwards rather quickly without taking our eyes off the beast.
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 12:37   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I knew a Bahamian lobster diver that was fearless about sharks, barracuda, moray eels, etc. He could free dive to great depths and disappear into holes and crevices, and be completely unseen for what seemed forever, only to re-appear with a half dozen monster lobsters in hand....

He did all this, after downing a half bottle of rum, no, not a sip or two, half the bottle. Prior to the rum, he'd chug down a beer or two. He couldn't clamber back on the dink after, he was so plastered, but in the water, he was a fish. He smoke too. I've always thought I was a reasonably good diver, but simply no match for this guy. The alcohol made him absolutely fearless.....crazy, yes, but fearless too.

Sharks never fazed him in the slightest.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 18:00   #60

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
I've never had shark fin soup before...but I have ate shark....very occasionally....in the past...I have seen it sold in fish markets...but not lately...the meat is steaked rather than filleted...much like a swordfish....as the shark does not have bones per se...just a backbone......I thought it was quite good eating....not the best seafood I've ever had, but certainly not bad...
but these days...shark fishing is banned....at least around my neck of the woods...

fishing for other fish....I've caught many a shark.....but they never come on the boat....ever......
Yeah, when ever we got a little mako 4-6ft we’d chop it up and put it in the smoker, bloody delicious.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Martin