Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2024, 16:34   #1

Storm planning US East Coast

Hi all,

Looking for thoughts on named storm planning for insurance.

We will be on the east coast north of Norfolk VA from July 1 till Nov1 with plans to cruise north to Portland Maine.

Is it reasonable to say we can be 100 NM outside the "cone of uncertainty" in the event of a named storm OR would it be better to identify a marina we could reasonably reach?

Marina's present some challenges since demand would probably be high.

Thanks!
Vshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 17:13   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Storm planning US East Coast

The whole NE is dense with boats, and anyplace that you think looks like a good hurricane hole is known by the locals. There won’t be any room.
If you commit to the insurance company that you’ll have the boat outside the prediction cone you might be letting them off the hook in the event that isn't possible. It’s a trick option.
The whole issue becomes debatable. Whose prediction? Criteria for which date/time of prediction (predictions change hourly/daily)? What if you’re away from the boat when the prediction is issued due to any reason?
Your broker can help you with a plan.
It should include safest ‘available” harbor, removing canvas enclosures and putting extra lines wrapped around sails, removing headsail ‘if possible’, removing deflating and tying down the dinghy, doubling lines and adding anti-chafe, make arrangements with a marina or qualified caretaker in event you need to travel out of area.
Don’t make any commitments you can’t keep because it can give them a reason to deny coverage.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 17:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The whole NE is dense with boats, and anyplace that you think looks like a good hurricane hole is known by the locals. There won’t be any room.
If you commit to the insurance company that you’ll have the boat outside the prediction cone you might be letting them off the hook in the event that isn't possible. It’s a trick option.
The whole issue becomes debatable. Whose prediction? Criteria for which date/time of prediction (predictions change hourly/daily)? What if you’re away from the boat when the prediction is issued due to any reason?
Your broker can help you with a plan.
It should include safest ‘available” harbor, removing canvas enclosures and putting extra lines wrapped around sails, removing headsail ‘if possible’, removing deflating and tying down the dinghy, doubling lines and adding anti-chafe, make arrangements with a marina or qualified caretaker in event you need to travel out of area.
Don’t make any commitments you can’t keep because it can give them a reason to deny coverage.
Thanks SailFastTri. I like "Safest Available Harbor" we intend to be on the move. Agree with having clear prep plans. We've got that. I want the boat and us to be safe as well as satisfying the insurance requirements.
Vshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 18:38   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The very last place I would choose in a hurricane is a marina. And most evacuate all the slips anyway so it’s often not even an option.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 06:35   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Most New England marinas are small and chock full of boats all summer long, so there is very little transient space. Plus, many marinas are not well sheltered. OTOH, there are many mooring fields all over New England and some of them are pretty well sheltered. A good hurricane plan is to find and pick up a heavy mooring, then supplement it as necessary with your own anchors. I have done this many times. The trick is to choose a mooring on the edge of the field so hopefully you will have fewer boats around you. Rode out a direct hit of Hurricane Bob this way. There are many rivers that extend into the ocean and depending on where you are you can often work your way well inland up the river, where the shelter will be much greater.
Old 30-05-2024, 06:51   #6

Boat: Adams 45

I'm usually returning from Nova Scotia or Maine in September/October, which is when more severe storms are more likely in the area, although still not common. There's usually several days of forecast to evaluate your options. I agree with Kettlewell, try to go up a river, and if a good mooring is available, take one. Being up the river may not stop the wind, but it usually prevents the seriously big coastal waves.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 07:01   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
The very last place I would choose in a hurricane is a marina. And most evacuate all the slips anyway so it’s often not even an option.
It depends on the marina. Many aren't suitable to survive a hurricane, but some are. Ideally I'd want sturdy floating docks, pilings tall enough to handle the worst-case surge on top of high tide, and in a well protected location so the primary concerns are just wind and surge, not sea state.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 07:33   #8

One thing to keep in mind is that generally hurricanes are traveling fast when they reach New England, so one morning you see the storm off Cape Hatteras and it reaches Block Island later that day. You've got to make your move when they are a long way off. Then when they hit you the wind swings around very fast, so be prepared for winds from all directions within a few hours. I check a couple of hurricane apps or NOAA's National Hurricane Center at least once a day in season, and often more often when there is a named storm, plus I follow various weather sources on Twitter. The more warning the better.
Old 30-05-2024, 13:51   #9

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

In my experience the parts that stick out (Hatteras, cape cod, Maine, Nova Scotia) are the most prone. Coastal NJ and Long Island south shore can be tuff to get in with heavy sea state. Heading up the Hudson has proven tactically sound record. I have always only carried liability coverage so I can help you there.

I have lived 60 yrs At 40° north, most Hurricanes are down graded to tropical storms, before they reach NY. Rarely are the winds over 80 knots at the highest of gusts on the north shore of LI, In the valley bays of the north shore.

Even more rare are the storms hitting heavy and north early in the season( IE: before late July)

Heading back south will be the crux as the fall season of safe passage used to be November but the past 5 years have seen weeks of closeout weather. The “Salty Dawgs” head out Nov 1 st from Hampton to all points south, you will meet them no doubt a long the way.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 13:59   #10

Quote:
The “Salty Dawgs” head out Nov 1 st from Hampton to all points south, you will meet them no doubt a long the way.
I would plan on heading south from New England around September 15 to be in the Chesapeake in October and then head south of Norfolk by November 1. In addition to hurricanes, it can be really cold some Octobers. A good plan is to visit the Annapolis boat show, which will be October 10-14 this year.
Old 30-05-2024, 14:17   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

You should be fine that far North, but if one does get that far up, you will know well in advance.

Not like living along the Gulf Coast, or in Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina where the storms sometimes do u turns etc then crank up from a Cat 1 to a Cat 5 in a couple days.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 09:41   #12

On a storm plan for insurance, be 100% sure the plan as written is something you can, and will, execute to the letter. Do not tell them what you think they want to hear. If you file a storm plan, and do not execute it—for any reason—your insurance is void.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:00   #13

Quote:
On a storm plan for insurance, be 100% sure the plan as written is something you can, and will, execute to the letter. Do not tell them what you think they want to hear. If you file a storm plan, and do not execute it—for any reason—your insurance is void.
There are usually many false alarms in New England because the storms travel so fast and you have to take some action when they are a long ways away. I don't know how many times I have stripped the boat, doubled lines, moved to a better place, etc. only to have the storm fizzle out in North Carolina or whiz out to sea after crossing Hatteras. It's like carrying a raincoat when I go ashore--if I have the raincoat it won't rain, but if I don't carry the coat it will pour.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:58   #14

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

For the northeast, head up the Hudson River which is about 150 miles from NYC to Albany; another few miles past Albany and you can be through a lock. away from tidal waters, and docked in Waterford or farther north. By the time the hurricane gets that far inland, it's usually a tropical storm with lots of rain but the wind has decreased from dangerous to annoying and inconvenient. If you can't find a marina that can accommodate you, go to one of the many anchorages. With the hook down, you'll be heading into the wind which usually decreases significantly when it arrives inland. Also, the waves and surge are far less of a threat as you head upriver.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast