Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 06:05   #46
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: SV Bella Dawn missing en route Boot Key to Bimini Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
AIS: The new Instagram/Facebook of boating?

Make a profile, see where your friends are, update your status, check in, leave a big electronic wake for all to see (no privacy).

Maybe we could add a few more features like finally adding video and pics to our AIS status. Maybe AIS groups so people in the anchorage who are into Mai Thais and puppies can get together to discuss, or at the very least, hit “like” when they see a pic of a good mai Thai and puppy.

The reason I go sailing is to get away from things like this. Ha ha

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:19   #47

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Or you could just look at the number of anchor lights there are to determine whether the anchorage is full. The AIS in this scenario is absolutely useless but the radar may be money well spent

Once you're heading into the anchorage, yes, visual and radar is more useful. But AIS can see through / over land, while radar and eyes can't. So if the anchorage is tucked in a bay or something, AIS can give you a heads up while you're still a few miles out. It can't give a confirmation that the anchorage isn't too crowded, but it can give a confirmation that it is.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:42   #48

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Quote:
What a pleasant surprise it is to pull into an anchorage and spot a long lost friend boat with your eyes viewing your surroundings rather than glued to a screen. Maybe soon they will come out with an AIS that alerts people of a cocktail hour!
You have got to be kidding.

In the past three years I've anchored my boat on five contents. Of course I'm looking outside of the instruments when entering an anchorage, but I have been known to select an anchorage specifically because I've spotted a buddy boat on the screen from miles out. On occasion, it's someone I haven't seen in 10,000+ miles.

Maybe you don't get out much. Maybe you don't have many friends. In any case, yours may qualify as the most ignorant, self important post a I've read on CF, and that is saying a lot!

In any event, we use an old fashioned flag on the port signal halyard to indicate cocktail hour.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:16   #49
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
You have got to be kidding.

In the past three years I've anchored my boat on five contents. Of course I'm looking outside of the instruments when entering an anchorage, but I have been known to select an anchorage specifically because I've spotted a buddy boat on the screen from miles out. On occasion, it's someone I haven't seen in 10,000+ miles.

Maybe you don't get out much. Maybe you don't have many friends. In any case, yours may qualify as the most ignorant, self important post a I've read on CF, and that is saying a lot!

In any event, we use an old fashioned flag on the port signal halyard to indicate cocktail hour.

Ignorance is thinking AIS was developed as a means to find your buddies in an anchorage not as a piece of equipment meant for safety.
Self important is thinking your opinion trumps others because you’ve anchored on 5 continents.
Glad we could get that figured out.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:45   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Ignorance is thinking AIS was developed as a means to find your buddies in an anchorage not as a piece of equipment meant for safety.
Self important is thinking your opinion trumps others because you’ve anchored on 5 continents.
They heard your ignorance, and have developed 'friends list' function on the AIS on the new Icom 94D.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55   #51
smj

SV Bella Dawn missing en route Boot Key to Bimini Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
They heard your ignorance, and have developed 'friends list' function on the AIS on the new Icom 94D.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]my god what is this world coming to! I don’t believe this was ever the intention when AIS first came out.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:02   #52

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Hmmm, my Vesper Watchmate from 2013 has this feature (called a "fleet", if I recall, sitting here at home).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:07   #53

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]my god what is this world coming to! I don’t believe this was ever the intention when AIS first came out.

It wasn't the intention, but if it can do extra stuff with minimal to no downside, then why not?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:32   #54
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It wasn't the intention, but if it can do extra stuff with minimal to no downside, then why not?

Your probably right.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:52   #55

Boat: Lagoon 380

trying to figure out how Stogdill missed seeing Bimini and the Great BAhamas Bank, then stumbled thru the Berries Andros slot in very deep water, then somehow avoided new Providence, and then unexpectedly appeared in the Exumas. Must be a great downwind boat too, to make that kind of time.
I'm planning an Exumas trip, and its going to take us over a week to arrive. I also can't imagine many Exumas customs opportunities until Georgetown. Hopefully, with on site PCR testing in his case.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:03   #56

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
trying to figure out how Stogdill missed seeing Bimini and the Great BAhamas Bank, then stumbled thru the Berries Andros slot in very deep water, then somehow avoided new Providence, and then unexpectedly appeared in the Exumas. Must be a great downwind boat too, to make that kind of time.
I'm planning an Exumas trip, and its going to take us over a week to arrive. I also can't imagine many Exumas customs opportunities until Georgetown. Hopefully, with on site PCR testing in his case.
Perhaps he didn't miss it but instead changed his mind. It would be interesting to know how he ended up there though!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:29   #57

Boat: currently boatless and looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The story in the Miami Herald said he didn’t know he was missing. How the heck did he end up in Exuma when he was headed to Bimini?
One of the advantages of being a solo sailor. We can change our route/destination on the fly.
Glad hes ok.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:39   #58

Boat: Alberg 35

Glad they found him and boat safe.

I’m not sure where the AIS animosity is coming from, but it is definitely ignorant.
Mine is usually on 24/7/365. I’ve had a few friends spot me and change course to buddy boat a few times as well. Nothing wrong with using a piece of safety equipment if you have it.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:44   #59

Bella Dawn has been located safe.
drester228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:44   #60

Quote:
My Raymarine display lists the sonar option as "Fish". I don't fish from my boat, but I do use this feature to determine what the seafloor looks like in an anchorage and what the depths are.

By your definition using the 'Fish Finder' for anchoring is equally as ignorant.

Ya, you're probably right. Completely ignorant to a find unique, unexpected and useful functions for existing technology. Down with innovation!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bimini, route