Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2024, 12:31   #1

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Swedish yacht sank.

Swedish Arkona sunk on Pacific Ocen. Crew was rescued on another Swedish yacht. https://www.instagram.com/p/C5jHwwZr...KvkgTGdhtpnc4r
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 13:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Swedish yacht sank.

Rudder shaft broke off?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 14:17   #3

Apparently Google translate is not much good at Swedish, but I think that's what they were saying, then something about lowering the rudder and water coming in through the hole faster than they could manage, so they abandoned ship and were rescued soon after.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 15:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is it common for practice to have the rudder sleeve top below water line? I only know my boats and they are both above waterline.
Old 11-04-2024, 02:42   #5

It looks like the stock is tapered and the quadrant snapped the shaft at the narrow part of the taper. I wonder why the nuts are missing from the cable adjuster?, maybe part of the repair plan, no water splashing around either?…….Orca’s?
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 03:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Swedish sailboat producer, Arcona Yachts, has issued a statement*, to say that an Arcona 460 sank, in the Pacific, on Monday. All crew are said to be safe, no one was injured, and the crew were swiftly rescued, by nearby vessels.

* Arcona Statement ➥ https://www.ibinews.com/companies/ar.../47938.article

Arcona 460 ➥ https://arconayachts.se/wp-content/u...n-new-sept.pdf
Quote:
“... Rudder
The rudder is made of glass fibre with multiaxial roving, filled with polyurethane foam; rudder stock of solid
water-resistant aluminium laminated into the rudder. Self-aligning roller bearings to minimise friction; the rudder is also supported axially by ball bearings.
Steering
Arcona 460 is fitted with cable steering for optimal responsiveness and feel. Steering gear is mounted in an integrated steering pedestal, rudder quadrant mounted on rudder stock. Emergency tiller mount on top of rudder stock. Leather-covered stainless steel wheel has a diameter of 1.8 m and is recessed in a well to provide proper height and steering comfort. Steering pedestal has room for chartplotter and Raymarine ST290 system and is
equipped with a sturdy stainless steel pedestal guard.
Bilge pumps
1 manual bilge pump mounted in cockpit and 1 electric, both with intake in the keelson...”
Arcona 460 yacht sinks after rudder stock failure
The disaster occurred when the rudder stock, a crucial part of the boat, failed, punching a large hole in the hull.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 04:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My ignorance is manifest.

Back looking at the rudder stick video it seems the shaft broke below the quadrant and the quadrant is relatively still, but the rudder stick is swinging freely aparently around some pivot point?

Is there no rudder tube the shaft comes up through? Or is that tube below the floor and out of sight and apparently broken off?

I would love to see a detail drawing of how that rudder stock is mounted.

I just can not imagine this situation.
Old 11-04-2024, 07:20   #8

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My ignorance is manifest.

Back looking at the rudder stick video it seems the shaft broke below the quadrant and the quadrant is relatively still, but the rudder stick is swinging freely aparently around some pivot point?

Is there no rudder tube the shaft comes up through? Or is that tube below the floor and out of sight and apparently broken off?

I would love to see a detail drawing of how that rudder stock is mounted.

I just can not imagine this situation.
What I understand of the video the rudder shaft was broken right below the upper bearing, lower bearing somewheredown out of sight as the rudder tube but can't be sure.. It was told another site they tried to drop the rudder but it didn't move down but a bit after loosing the quadrant. Moving sideways made the hole in the bottom larger quite fast and they couldn't keep up with the water iingress anymore.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:36   #9

Bouy racers have no place on the open ocean.

A very high aspect ratio spade rudder with an aluminum stock? Does anybody think this is a great idea???

"Nothing too strong ever broke."
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 09:58   #10

Boat: Islander 36

The translation from the Instagram post had something about a "heart valve" which did not do too much to further my understanding.

Clearly, I don't speak Swedish, but listening to the audio on the YouTube clip, I have to say I am impressed with how calm the owner seems as he abandons ship and watches his mast disappear into the water.
Old 11-04-2024, 10:28   #11

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Bouy racers have no place on the open ocean.

A very high aspect ratio spade rudder with an aluminum stock? Does anybody think this is a great idea???

"Nothing too strong ever broke."
Agreed.

We have a lot of boats with spade rudders at our club.
Why would anyone trust such inherently flimsy design?
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:58   #12

Ran across a couple of such incidents during our circumnav and participated in an ongoing emergency arising from rudder loss. The vessel was a US registered J 44. The rudder departed mid Atlantic The crew were unable to steer the vessel using alternative methods, accepted a tow which became untenable and ultimately, the vessel was abandoned. They reported taking on water from the rudder mounting area but nothing which would lead to a sinking. In fact the now crewless vessel drifted over about a one month period to Barbados where it foundered on a windward beach.

Two things I took from this incident. First never buy a boat with an underwater level rudder mount. We had a Beneteau 440 with all the rudder mounting gear on top of a conical hull extrusion at least three feet above waterline with the rudder shaft and bearings extending down from the top.

Get a chance to see how Beneteau and Jeanneau do it? Take a look.

Second, carry an emergency rudder. Would not have helped the Swedes but it could have saved the J 44. Do this despite knowing appropriate sail balance against drag could be used to steer. The J 47 tried that but unsuccessfully.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 19:08   #13

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

They mentioned a noise from the rudder stock in the ARC a couple of years ago. It could have been a harmonics issue? The factory recommended lubricating it. But it seems there was maybe more to it than that. Harmonics can be huge and relatively unseen problem with metal parts and keel fittings too. If you hear a hum... don't be dumb...

It may also have been a low galvanic leak via the auto helm...
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 19:27   #14

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I like this part in the article that Gord posted.
"Rudder stock of solid water resistant Aluminum".
Aluminum is one of those metals that spends it whole live in a never-ending quest to return to its former existence.
Alas, stupidity reigns in some facets of modern yacht design.
To be fair, Arcona does say that their boats are cherished for "watersports and overnight sailing".
Old 15-04-2024, 19:40   #15

And people wonder why I prefer stern-hung rudders...

Tags
yacht