Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 01:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Training to overcome adversity..

People ask me how I learned to overcome fear while at sea..

This intense training greatly helped me greatly reduce the many adversities/ problems experienced..

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dive...221300727.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 01:36   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Training to overcome adversity..

Like putting yourself into a war zone to overcome your fear of normal city living.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 01:56   #3

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

I know a guy who had a serious stage fright. He decided to train mixed martial art to overcome it.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:16   #4

Boat: Boatless

Interesting article...my cave diving certification was the hardest training I have ever done.

The key to all dangerous situations is to learn to see solutions and not problems...and then fix the problems one logical step at a time!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:30   #5

Boat: Pearson 323

Then there are those who can assess the fear that is based on fact and which is based on fiction. Knowledge and preparation can resolve the fears of actual risks. Most people have difficulty with the fiction, or the fear of the unknown. Or who knows, maybe its all just genetic.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:14   #6

I think the handling of fear evolves with age and experience. When I was younger, I was very much into extreme skiing (which can be summarized as going down places where there is no margin of error) for the adrenaline rush that controlled fear generates. Over the years, that has lost appeal and now I tend to act much more conservatively. I enter into controlled fear mode much sooner and get no adrenaline rush from it, just a survival instinct of getting out of an uncomfortable situation as soon as possible.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 19:13   #7

Boat: Herreshoff cat Ketch 40'

My first response is to say life and experience is the best way to learn how to deal and overcome adversity. But how to get that experience in a controlled safe environment?. As boat people one of our main challenges can be surviving in really really bad storm conditions. Doing an off shore survival course vis a vis the type offered to the off shore oil industry is an excellent way to gain experience and confidence in dealing with storm conditions. Complete with Wave machine in a big pool, a wind machine which could blow you off your feet and water spray to witch becomes hard hurting driven rain. Covers launching life rafts, getting survivors into the life raft and all the procedure for alerting would be rescuers. The course is a week long. Couple that with a HUET helicopter course which can be intergreatd in to the pool work is a must if you do this. 2 reasons. The first is you are subjected to a simulated landing in storm condition water 4 or 5 times. Each time more and more challenging. The final time your helicopter body capsizes and sinks quickly. Great experience for exiting a capzised mono or cat. Last but not least a weeks first aid and trauma course will help u focus on fixing any injuries to family and /or crew. All of the above have helped me deal with serious accidents and other life threating experiences / situations in the past. Good luck, be safe and if you cant be safe then be careful
SY Pollen Path is offline   Reply With Quote