Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2024, 08:39   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Two bodies recovered on Sable Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My experience is Canadian authorities tend to be pretty tight lipped.

I don’t expect them to say much.

Canadian authorities try to release only known facts,when the facts have been determined,& after all family members & any other related individuals have been informed.
This cuts down on the spread of rumour /false fact/half truths/hysteria,etc.
The downside is loss of the"news for entertainment"industry & hundreds of "talking heads" employment

Cheers/Len
Old 23-07-2024, 08:14   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/more/pol...land-1.6973086
Old 24-07-2024, 01:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to ‘Practical Boat Owner’:
https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/investiga...rce=SmartBrief

"... Brett Clibbery’s son, James Clibbery, reported the couple missing on 18 June.
‘Theros’ was fitted with AIS; the signal from the boat was last received on 12 June, according to Marine Traffic. The boat’s last known position was off Sable Island.
The couple also carried a Garmin InReach ..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2024, 04:25   #19

Possible but I think they had AIS onboard but, have not heard if they carried an EPIRB. The AIS should have alerted them to any ships nearby. In their zealotry to be "green" they may have cut corners the safety department. Such as using a used car EV battery that may have it's own issues. A fire or maybe a dead battery prevented their AIS from alerting them to the ship nearby leading them to abandon the boat very quickly.
Old 24-07-2024, 04:40   #20

Boat: Hunter 340

No EPIRB when ocean crossing is just a huge unforced error. EPIRB mounted near the companionway or placed in ditch bag kept near companionway while offshore may have saved their lives. Even better is an EPIRB mounted in the cockpit. I know people don't like to keep it there all the time because it might get stolen and exposure but buy a second mount and mount it there only while offshore.

I know some people say I don't need a EPIRB I have an In Reach the problem is the In Reach is often used for non-emergency purposes and needs to be regularly recharged thus people may not be as diligent about its location. If the In Reach is laying on the the forward bunk because that is where you used it last and a fire erupts down below you might not be able to get to it or remember to get it or you try to go back to get it and down the fire is raging out of control.

The nice thing about EPIRB is it isn't used for anything else and never has to be charged. It will always be in its cradle. They are $600 and last 10 years. One battery replacement for $300 (or less) and they are good for another 10 years. 20 years of protection for less than a boat buck? An absolute deal.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2024, 05:13   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Drifting off topic but related to short handed sailing…

There are personal EPIRB’s that can be sewn into your PFD or stowed in ditch bag. God for a solo sailor that may go overboard.

There are personal AIS that can be sewn into your PFD which will alert your vessel and others around that you are in trouble.

EPIRB assists a rescue agency which may be many hours away. For a solo sailor that is often the only hope.

AIS should awaken and alert the onboard crew to the emergency and guid them back to you. Perfect for couples. But you need to wear the damn PFD.

In this case either would have likely saved their lives. EPIRB obviously but AIS could have reached a passing ship, fisher, or yacht.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote