Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 06:06   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Two men found dead inside drifting boat off Queensland coast

Still a bit odd that both died. Statistically, it feels unusual.

Not suggesting anything sinister, just plain surprised.
Old 16-09-2019, 06:14   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Still a bit odd that both died. Statistically, it feels unusual.

Agreed.

I guess that is a good thing.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 07:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Back in 2016, Miami Marlins pitcher, José ("Niño") Fernández was killed, along with 2 companions (Eddy Rivero and Emilio Macias), in a pre-dawn boating crash, when the 32-foot boat he was piloting struck (at about 56 kts) the Government Cut north jetty, off Miami Beach, Florida.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 07:21   #19

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Without wishing to trite, it is the de-accelation that kills; of both the vessel and the occupants.

IMO, they hit a submerged object at speed, possibility the bottom and the crew hit something hard inside the boat.

Not a lot different than say slipping on wet tiles and hitting one's head on the side of a bathtub.
This is like two people slipping and falling inside the shower and both of them dying. Very strange. One death, sure, but both randomly striking their heads just so, without putting arms up while falling, and being lethal to both, from an 8 knot deceleration? I got tboned by a car at 50 kph on my motorbike once. I still was able to protect my head as I flew through the air... Very strange...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:05   #20

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
This is like two people slipping and falling inside the shower and both of them dying. Very strange. One death, sure, but both randomly striking their heads just so, without putting arms up while falling, and being lethal to both, from an 8 knot deceleration? I got tboned by a car at 50 kph on my motorbike once. I still was able to protect my head as I flew through the air... Very strange...

I agree with the gist of what you are saying. I would only change the word strange to rare or unusual. The two studies I listed earlier (Monash University and the British DOT) noted that the risks of a fatality in relatively low speed (30 Kph and 30 Mph respectively) were very low at around 3.5%. They also noted that although the risk was low, the numbers of fatalities was larger than initially expected.

While the video I posted and our discussions focused upon the acceleration of the personnel followed by a sudden stop, an additional factor may very well have been the delay between the accident and the arrival of authorities. IF there were head injuries, the delay may have been what allowed death to occur.

IF alcohol was involved, and please note that I am not saying it was, then that too may have been a contributing factor.

Obviously we will need the autopsy to give us a more concrete answer.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:34   #21

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Looking at the accident photos it looks like a head on car accident collision would be a better comparison. This is not a slip and fall event.

I don't have any stats to back this up but certainly you more often see double fatalities in these type of car accidents, because both occupants experience similar forces.

That makes sense, sadly. Condolences to the family members
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:37   #22

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Very Odd. Medical Examiner and GPS will shed much light on this. RIP GUYS.
Old 16-09-2019, 10:49   #23

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

For clarity regarding the collision. The only 'strange' part to me is 'what did they hit' ?

Sadly the consequences themselves seem in proportion to a massive high speed collision.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:07   #24

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I guess you are being sarcastic since its easy to understand. Speed Kills
Just quoting myself here. I apologize for the inference that the OP was not sincere. My post did not add anything useful to the thread, but I was glad to read about the suggestion of seatbelts in high speed watercraft. Legislation of course impossible to enforce, but it can have long term benefits of saving a few lives as folks beecome aware of the law.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 17:02   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My shower analogy was more to demonstrate the potential of fatal head injury from the de-acceleration after a short fall but yes, it is strange.

Although IMO, the boat was probably doing a decent speed in the order of 20 kts - but this is only a guess on my part.

Others more familiar with the boat type would be able to make a better estimate.

Hopefully all the relevant facts will come out sometime.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 17:36   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

There's been some firsthand reports that a large log was floating around the general area of the collision on the day it occurred. Hit one of them at speed head on, and things would have unraveled very quickly.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:05   #27

Just another thought. Could they have died prior to impact such as in a Fentanyl overdose? Not making accusations just another possibility.
vmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmarq View Post
Just another thought. Could they have died prior to impact such as in a Fentanyl overdose? Not making accusations just another possibility.
This thread is becoming absurd. Maybe a meteor hit the boat. Or they committed suicide after finding they forgot to renew their insurance policy?
gatorman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:25   #29

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

And just to quibble with the report itself: "twin-hulled catamaran"? As opposed to all those mono-hulled catamarans out there?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman49 View Post
This thread is becoming absurd. Maybe a meteor hit the boat. Or they committed suicide after finding they forgot to renew their insurance policy?
Aliens...definitely aliens.

Though seriously...heart breaking story and makes me think that maybe I should listen to my wife and not go out solo as often as I do.
Gustuv Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, queensland