Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 13:45   #16

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: When they evacuate the marina, get out... Hurricane Zeta

Sometimes we just don't have any warning. Hurricane Sally took a right turn at the last second and barreled through our area. I survived the 110 mph but many of my friends didn't. The crane crews are very busy right now.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 06:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Damn, that's a mighty strong fence!

Apt name on the boat too.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:18   #18

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

When Irene hit a few years ago, the boat was in the upper Hudson River. The increase in the speed of the current soon became obvious and the water began to rise. The hard driving rain made the visibility challenging. Within a few hours, the river current was a ripping debris field with trees, docks, logs, and other flotsam forming a field of obstacles. The rise of the water and speed of the current was such that the boat had to be moved from a lock wall which was normally 9' above the river. (By the next morning the wall was under 1 1/2' of fast moving water.) We headed to a marina in a protected area and finally arrived about 1am. Trying to find an empty spot at that time was challenging. Unknown to the owner, the only 40' dock that was available (or so he thought) had been taken by a 20' bowrider spidered between the docks. High wind was not an issue nor was it predicted to be. Heavy rain with winds gusting to 25-30 was the prediction. Let's say it was challenging to get it moved to a more suitable short finger dock location and get my boat secured. The prediction was for a rise in the water level of 6 - 7', not almost 12'. In the morning and for the next few days, the access docks were under 6-7' feet of water.

The moral of the story - when a storm is predicted to hit, prepare early. We were lucky - that time.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:09   #19

A few years back, I was condo president and the marina was my responsibility. We have had rules regarding when a slip owner had to vacate the marina due to storms for years. Every year we would send out notices in May that boat owners were responsible to make arrangements to move their boats if our marina would be in the zone of a named storm.

Twice I issued Notices that the marina was being closed and all boats had to relocate. Most adhered, some did not. The excuses would run from: I was out of town, I had nowhere to take the boat, I had no one to move the boat for me, or I was too busy.

They knew that they were liable to the condo for any damage(s). But the bottom line is: they just did not care about their vessel, or whatever damage that they would cause to condo property.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 14:29   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

In that marina in Gulfport there is a $1000 a day fine from the city if you do not move your boat after the evac is issued. They did this after Katrina when many boats didnt move and they ended up helping to destroy the entire harbor. It was rebuilt much stronger after Katrina, and has already reopened.

In the harbor 5 miles to the west, I passed by 6 hours before landfall and there were still 15+ sailboats in the harbor. It was an older all wood harbor. All those boats ended up 100's of yards inland, and the harbor is splintered and will be closed for more than a year.
Pearson365Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 14:37   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Up front, I do not live in the hurricane alley and have no boat there.
Still, I have witnessed two Hurricanes personally going right over my head.

To those saying people simply don't care, I'd say that seems a bit of a simplistic view.

There are tons of reasons why some may have no chance to get to their boat in time.

1)
They might live 1000s of miles away from their boat (I do).
2)
There may be no more flights in or out.
3)
They may need to take care of family, property and business first.
4)
They may not be able to leave work.
5)
They may not have someone on location who can take care of the boat, because all those folks are already prepping other boats.
6)
They may not have the funds to get to the boat.
7)
They may have health issues.
100)
They may not care about their boat. Yes, there are folks like that, but even in our days most boat owners who actively use their boats (at least in holidays) do care.

It's easy to call someone negligent or stupid when one is not facing the problem oneself.

Don't judge people if you don't really know why things happen. Just my personal perspective on this.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:45   #22

[QUOTE=Franziska;3275875]Up front, I do not live in the hurricane alley and have no boat there. Still, I have witnessed two Hurricanes personally going right over my head.
To those saying people simply don't care, I'd say that seems a bit of a simplistic view.

There are tons of reasons why some may have no chance to get to their boat in time.

1) They might live 1000s of miles away from their boat (I do).

So do I. I live in DC, my boat is in Miami. I have a hurricane plan, and that plan included hiring a Captain to move my boat if the marina is evacuated. If you are going to own a boat, then be responsible about it. This excuse does not hold water.

2) There may be no more flights in or out.
This excuse does not hold water either. We give 48 hours notice, as do most marinas. You can get a flight... I've done it. Or, you can have a hurricane plan.

3) They may need to take care of family, property and business first.
Who cares? So the errant boat owner risks the life and property of his boating neighbors? Or, they can have a hurricane plan. This excuse does not hold water, and worse, it is selfish.

4) They may not be able to leave work.
Then don't own a boat that you cannot take care of, or move the boat after work. Hurricane warnings are issued days in advance. If your job keeps you away from your boat, hire a Captain to move it. Make a hurricane plan.

5) They may not have someone on location who can take care of the boat, because all those folks are already prepping other boats.
Sorry, but it does not work that way. In S FL, you first need to contract for a Hurricane slip or haul out location months in advance. Second, there are services available to move boats during an approaching storm, or the owner can call SeaTow or Boat US to move their boat. I personally have witnessed SeaTow moving boats prior to a storm.

6) They may not have the funds to get to the boat.
Then sell it, after they have moved it. If it is uninsured, then that is even a bigger problem for the marina.

7) They may have health issues.
You obviously do not know what a hurricane plan is, or why they are so strongly encouraged in S FL. If illness is an issue, and it has been at our condo, then as a neighbor or family member to implement your hurricane plan.

8) They may not care about their boat. Yes, there are folks like that, but even in our days most boat owners who actively use their boats (at least in holidays) do care.
Now this I would agree with you. They do not care. And they are the
problem for the rest of us.

It's easy to call someone negligent or stupid when one is not facing the problem oneself.

No, negligence is the breach of a duty to avoid an injury. When someone places their boat in the marina, they agree to the terms of use. Our Marina Rules specifically provide that boats will be removed within 24 hours of an evacuation order, or following a declaration that a hurricane watch has been issued that includes the marina. If they fail to take reasonable and prudent actions that results in a loss, that is the classic definition of negligence.

Stupidity is willful ignorance or the callous disregard for the obvious. So yes, it is stupid for someone to leave their unattended vessel in a marina after receiving notice that a natural disaster is about to occur where it is likely to lead to the destruction of life and property.

The problem today is too many people look for an excuse to justify poor or improper conduct. Call it what you may, but if you are going to acquire a vessel, and keep it in an area that is prone to natural disasters, then you better have a plan on how you are going to comply with rules of conduct, and at the very least, protect the property of others.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 09:10   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Different people have different viewpoints... guess we will not agree on this one.
Think also about the fact that there are many people owning boats who do not have deep pockets and can barely afford their boat. They might not be able to use the solutions you propose, and no, they should not be banned from owning a boat.

Still, the one thing I would probably do, not store my boat in a Marina which evicts me from the Marina in case of any approaching storm.

Tags
hurricane