Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 03:37   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Yacht rescue nearish Brisbane, Aust.

Oceanshoretiga there is no such thing as "passing survey". I did the survey and then Darryl presented my survey to the insurance companies. That is when I started having issues with him......A survey is not like a road worthy on your car. I just find the issues and write up the recommendations and then the owner fixes them our ignores them. None of the issues that caused the incident on Lest D were from a bad survey. A faulty motor and torn mainsail can happen for lots of reasons. I can name one main one but you seem blinded by your opinion.
As for insurance have you heard of Edward Williams insurance? You can email them and they will insure you. It seems their head office in Nigeria doesn't care what they insure as long as you pay the premium.
As for broken professional confidence, nothing I have written in this forum is confidential. I didn't even specifically mention the engine brand or hours as that is up to Darryl to disclose. All the information can be got from the photo and newspaper report.
If Darryl was not so mad with me, I would have rung him for a yarn and then got his permission to write about it. This incident is interesting, and some people would like to know what caused it. Imagine if the policeman who was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital had died because of an easily avoidable incident?
As for verifiable evidence, I can see a mountain of it in front of me.
The weather that weekend was easily understood by myself and most east coast sailors, I am sure. I went sailing Saturday and stayed home Sunday. I am willing to bet the majority of sailors did the same thing.
Oceanshoretiga I do know Lester D left Tin Can Bay with working steering and working staysail Furler. That was all that was needed to turn the yacht around and run-down wind to either Gold Coast or Cape Moreton and then get towed in. A much safer option for the rescue crews but an unpleasant option for Darryl and crew.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 14:25   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Yacht rescue nearish Brisbane, Aust.

Oceanshoretiga:

There is no real reason to assume than a new, inexperienced boat owner will follow through effectively on a surveyor's recommendations. In this case, apparently he was going to trust the boat in spite of "deferred maintenance". His decisions didn't have favorable outcomes.

I've made decisions that didn't work out in a way I liked, too. I think that's just part of the human condition.

In addition, there is a real concern that more and more inexperienced sailors are out there, with less knowledge of collision avoidance and basic seamanship. Unprepared people who ask for professional assistance where it is not needed give all of us a bad name. Again, just part of life. I can hear my mom saying, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

No conspiracies here.

Ann

Tags
brisbane, rescue, yacht