Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 17:18   #16

Re: Planning on cruising to Chesapeake

As Thomm said, there are tons of places to anchor. However, there is no place that I know of in any of these tributaries or bays where you can anchor for extended periods of time like you can in other parts of the world. If you don't move pretty regularly you would draw unwanted attention.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 17:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
As Thomm said, there are tons of places to anchor. However, there is no place that I know of in any of these tributaries or bays where you can anchor for extended periods of time like you can in other parts of the world. If you don't move pretty regularly you would draw unwanted attention.
JEB
?????
I have been sailing the Bay my whole life and have never heard of a time restriction on anchoring anyplace. I am mostly in Maryland, is that a Virginia thing?
In Maryland you can be anchored for years or decades even. You will annoy people if the boat is anchored without you on it though and we have to fix your mess while you are gone. Drifting into other anchored boats or docks will get you negative attention here and pretty much everywhere.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 04:49   #18

So I have no knowledge of the laws versus practicality of long term Anchorage on the southern bay. Every so often a derelict boat end up in Willoughby Bay. I have seen the vast anchoring areas in Maryland covered with boats. Here in Hampton Roads I have seen a handful of liveaboards try to set up shop at anchor over the years and I don't know if it was vigilantes or the authorities, but they don't stay long. I guess it is possible that while legal, it's just not practical in terms of places to come ashore for supplies. That said, I have anchored in some beautiful spots where I could see staying for months and there was no one there.
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:09   #19

thanks for the replies. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, if I did? The marina fees are incredible compared to Florida. My current situation is I bought my retirement boat before I am retired-23months. So, I want to save as much as possible, enjoy the boat for vacations in a different cruising ground. In less than 2 years I will be with the boat most of the time. I could afford to be on the water in a marina at the prices I seen from the links. Less than $200 a month for 30ft slip. Ideal would be to sail south in the late fall but would have to anchor out at current slip prices in Florida. I would like to anchor for months unattended but my heart says it is a foolish money saving endeavor? I would be so concerned of thieves, storms, disgruntled locals, etc. Maybe I could anchor for the summer and early fall to save a little, then haul out this first winter? Retirement is scheduled for 01/2022. What say you? Is the area a wonderful place to cruise?
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:51   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

To me the single biggest advantage to sailing in the Chesapeake, day sailing since I have very little experience up there with overnight, is that you have the Atlantic wind without the Atlantic waves. The wind comes across the Eastern Shore, and makes it beautiful for everything from my teen-ager cat boat to the 40' Rhodes sloop I maintained. I saw a lot of quiet coves that I would love to anchor in. Coffee in the morning mist sounds good from here.
Old 21-02-2020, 12:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
So I have no knowledge of the laws versus practicality of long term Anchorage on the southern bay. Every so often a derelict boat end up in Willoughby Bay. I have seen the vast anchoring areas in Maryland covered with boats. Here in Hampton Roads I have seen a handful of liveaboards try to set up shop at anchor over the years and I don't know if it was vigilantes or the authorities, but they don't stay long. I guess it is possible that while legal, it's just not practical in terms of places to come ashore for supplies. That said, I have anchored in some beautiful spots where I could see staying for months and there was no one there.
We have plenty of liveaboards at anchor at my end of the Bay. There is no one trying to chase them off, but almost all of them leave on their own to head south before December. You have to be pretty desperate - more like floating homeless people on a derelict - to try it year round. Even in this very warm winter it would be pretty miserable without heat and the dinghy ride ashore not fun.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:47   #22

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Here's another one in the Northern Neck area: Yankee Point Marina. Wet slips and dry storage. DIY is fine. Prices reasonable. PM me if you decide to come. I live nearby.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:22   #23

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Different areas in Virginia have what they call "Personal Property Tax" for any boat in their jurisdiction on January 1st. ASK about it or put a clause in your contract that the Marina will reimburse you if you have to pay it. I have boated up and down the Chesapeake and have had good experiences with many of the marinas mentioned.

For do it yourself on the hard Herrington Harbour North is great. Not mentioned was Crisfield on the eastern shore of Maryland or Cambridge. As mentioned drive time to some of these places might be an important consideration.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 09:07   #24

Boat: West Wight Potter 19', C&C 21'

If you want to stay on your boat in the winter months and enjoy DC, I recommend a slip at The Washington Marina. FDR kept his yacht there. They have a limited amount of spaces but it is close to the Fish Market, the Monuments, Smithsonian, etc. The parking is good and it's a short trip from Reagan airport.

My C&C was there for years. It is a great location.

It's not inexpensive but if you want to use it as a getaway, it is well worth the money.

We also went to Solomon's Island frequently where you'll find a lot of storage. It's a charming area. I got my ASA there.

I just realized I posted on an old thread. However, I'll leave it in the event someone is looking for info in that area.
Cheers!

Tags
cruising