Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 06:41   #1

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk
Planning on cruising to Chesapeake

We are planning a multi-year trip to Chesapeake this spring. The plan is to leave the boat in the.Chesapeake over the 2020-2021 winter. I have never left the boat in an area that requires winterizing the boat. I’m also looking for a marina that is protected. I prefer to keep the boat in the southern cheasapeake area but open to any are. Do I need to consider storing the boat on the hard? Recommendations and advice welcome.
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 07:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Planning on cruising to Chesapeake

You can leave the boat in the water in the Chesapeake, if that is your question. It really will not need more than draining the water pipes that might freeze on a bad day and antifreeze in the engine coolant.

In the southern Chesapeake I love the pretty little harbor of Urbanna on the lower Rappahanock River, but there must be many more in the area. Irvington comes to mind as well, and has marinas. Both are largely rural, not the urban areas north (Annapolis) and south (Norfolk).

Local note: Norfolk is pronounced Nor F**K, leading the the Norfolk Academy Cheer from the 1960s "We don't smoke, We don't drink, Norfolk! Norfolk!

We sailed in that area right through the winter, although it did get a mite blustery.
Old 20-02-2020, 07:25   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Deltaville Yachting Center has some good rates

Boatyard – Deltaville Yachting Center and Chesapeake Yacht Sales

And Cape Charles Yachting Center (on the Eastern Shore) used to have a couple years ago this deal where you pay the cost of haulout and power wash and they would give you free Winter Storage

Cape Charles Yacht Center

Then there's Cobb's in Norfolk that has Winter storage from November - February for $8.00/ft plus haulout etc

https://cobbsmarina.com/marina/

For a slip in Norfolk (Little Creek) there's Bay Point Marina ($9/ft) Cobb's is usually full.

https://www.baypointmarinanorfolk.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 07:32   #4

I'd be negligent to not mention Dan's operation at Smith Point Marina in Reedville. I've stored on that hard there several years and he seems to have covered wet storage for winter available most years. I also find him to be an honest guy which is worth a lot to me.

Now - I'd also be negligent if I didn't mention that Reedville is remote...like Elizabethan English kinda remote.

https://smithpointmarina.com/
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 07:36   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 41

+1 for deltaville yachting Centre, great people and well run yard/haulout. Left our boat there for 5 months with no problem.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 08:45   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5

White Point Marina, home
what great people! saved my butt this past november..
Old 20-02-2020, 08:47   #7

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Thanks for the suggestions and knowledge. Love this forum. I should have mentioned earlier that I’m a sailboat. It draws 5’4” with a 13’ beam, 39’4” length. That may impact suggestions.
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 08:52   #8

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

Custom Yacht Service in Irvington...great place and service
Old 20-02-2020, 09:03   #9
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

I'd recommend Herrington Harbor North Marina in Tracey's Landing Md.

It's a full service "eco" marina with virtually every marine service on sight. The winter storage is very reasonable, and it's a pro operation. About an hour ride to Baltimore International Airport. I left our boat in the water for many seasons with bubblers all around which many livaboards use. No issues with ice build up around the docks. You can also have the boat hauled and shrink wrapped. It's a pretty convenient location to Annapolis, and the Eastern Shore (ocean side of the Delmarva peninsula).

mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:18   #10

Boat: Caliber 47

Be careful to ask whatever marina you choose what their contractor policy is....ie do they charge you for the privilege of bringing your own contractor in to perform repairs on your yacht!

It may seem like no big deal except there are Marina’s in the Southern Chesapeake that charge huge “ per diem” charges whether or not they have the ability to perform these tasks in house!

This can add up especially if their lack of capabilities force you to acquire your own contractor.
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:18   #11

All of the places mentioned will do you right. I live in Norfolk on the bay and have kept my boats at most of the marinas in the area. Some are better than others but all excel at one thing or another. My recommendation would be tied to time of year you intend to store the boat as well as how you intend to travel back and forth from your home and the frequency of travel. For example, the Norfolk marinas are very close to an airport and will cost more than peninsula or northern neck marinas. If you would like to talk PM me.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:43   #12

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

In the Northern Chesapeake I have spent a couple of winters at Georgetown Yacht Basin in the Sassafras River, excellent marina with some liveaboards, they use to allow DYS owners on the yard even though they had a full complement of workers. I've heard that they have been acquired by Safe Harbor Marinas with may change everything....anyway it is a very protected and lovely spot to be
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 16:02   #13

on a similar note. I have a 28ft Triton in Deltaville. I pay $150 a month on the hard. Haul out was done by previous owner but around $400 or so I think. That includes launch. I a looking to go up there in end of March to work on it-new to me.
Is there a safe place to anchor in the area that can save me a few $. I would like to sail the area as its historic and all. Otherwise I will have to sail south to my state of Florida in April? Happy with marina staff via phone call, very nice people.
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 16:15   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormanbigd View Post
on a similar note. I have a 28ft Triton in Deltaville. I pay $150 a month on the hard. Haul out was done by previous owner but around $400 or so I think. That includes launch. I a looking to go up there in end of March to work on it-new to me.
Is there a safe place to anchor in the area that can save me a few $. I would like to sail the area as its historic and all. Otherwise I will have to sail south to my state of Florida in April? Happy with marina staff via phone call, very nice people.
There are tons of places to anchor for free along the bay............just pick a creek or river.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 16:41   #15

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"

The Salt Pond contains two Marinas and is very protected from storms, super easy access to & from the Southern Bay, and safe to leave a boat while you are away. The Inlet has been completely rebuilt this winter with a wider entrance, new stone jetties, new markers, and dredging to about 9 foot MLW.

Great price and floating docks...
www.SaltPondsMarinaResort.com

Even better price! Fixed docks...
www.SouthallMarina.com

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising