Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 11:37   #1

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA
Andros Advice?

I'm planning to go from Miami to Bimini, then the Berrys and down the east coast of Andros. I've never been to Andros and don't know what to expect. I have a 42ft cruiser - 3.5ft draft. I searched the forum, but didn't see many tales of experiences.

Are the natives friendly? Can we get fuel and water? Good snorkeling? Are the AUTEC facilities accessible? How's the cell service? Can I stay inside (west) of the reefs? Better to not clear in Bimini? Other clues?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:12   #2

Re: Andros Advice?

I have run the entire "inside the reef" route on the east side of Andros from Morgans Bluff to Jackfish Channel with 4.5 ft draft.

The best chart solution I have found is the Garmin Bluechart App used with an iPad. The app is free but the chart packages cost $. Look thru the chart package choices because there are several that give both US and Bahama coverage for around $40. I found these charts very accurate for Andros and will allow you to make the run with ease. Also load the Active Captain info into the Garmin app and update it before you leave. Also have a copy of The Bahamas Guide. It will show the most common anchorages. Anchoring along Andros can be tricky with lots of concrete-like marl, along with thick grass in the bights. Plan each day's run, thinking about the state of the tides and where you want to anchor for the night.

Enjoy.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:20   #3

Also, I would clear customs in Bimini but you could clear at Morgans Bluff. Cell phone coverage is solid all the way down. Everyone is friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. Realize that Andros is off the beaten path specifically because there are very few yacht facilities[. Fuel is available at Fresh Creek otherwise it may be trucked in.

If you have never cruised the Bahamas, Andros would not be a good first choice for you. The Abacos and Exumas are much easier to cruise.
Old 17-04-2017, 18:00   #4

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

Thanks; that helps. I have Navionics on my plotter and will check to see how good it is. Also have the Navionics AP on my phone. Sprint has free roaming for text and internet, which worked well in the Abacos. I got good at dodging coral heads there with good sun behind. I also have the Explorer chart for north, but can't get the one that includes the Exumas. So I'll probably stay away from that part. Planning is my thing. Nothing beats a good anchoring spot. Any more advice. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 18:06   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have cruised the Bahamas with both Navionics and Garmin. My advice is not to rely on Navionics. Get Garmin charts, on a pad if you dont have a Garmin plotter.

Best navigational equipment: a good pair of polarized sunglasses
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 18:37   #6

I don't think Spint works on BTC. I use ATT or T-Mobile. Or get a BTC sim card.