Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post

An interesting fact: It takes the same amount of water to lift a ship as it does a small boat. The water used is not recycled.

I don't believe that "fact." I believe a ship would require less water because it displaces more water, so less water is needed to fill the lock.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I don't believe that "fact." I believe a ship would require less water because it displaces more water, so less water is needed to fill the lock.
A ship requires less water when it enters the lock because of displacement.
More water is needed for the smaller boat as it is placed in the lock prior to lifting.
All of the water to stage the ship or boat in the first lock is salt water.
But.
The body of water needed to lift both ship or boat, and the water they displace, is the same. And it's rain water.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
John, would you agree that less fresh water is needed to lower a ship compared to a boat?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
John, would you agree that less fresh water is needed to lower a ship compared to a boat?
You are correct as less fresh water would be needed for the ship at the first lock going down.

My point is that after a boat or ship has been placed in the chamber (lock) and the gates closed, the same amount of water is needed to lift or lower that ship or boat and the water used to place it in the first lock..

My orginal statement used the word 'lift', not lower.
regards John
Old 09-01-2011, 15:21   #20

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Thanks John,

My skipper was keen to get there before March but from what you are saying there is no point in rushing. We'll just have to take what we get and so should just make the most of the trip and slow down and enjoy it.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks John,

My skipper was keen to get there before March but from what you are saying there is no point in rushing. We'll just have to take what we get and so should just make the most of the trip and slow down and enjoy it.
When you say that you're transiting from north to south, I assume you mean you're coming from the Caribbean.
If so, please don't miss the San Blas Islands and the Kuna Indians. This is a truly unic experience in a land that time has forgotten.
Once through the canal, and on the Pacific side, pokr around the Las Paries islands within the Gulf of Panama for a day or two before going up to the islands of Northren Panama, plan plenty of time as you'll need to leave your boat to hire a local to take you thrugh the surf in his boat for a day long journey up a river at Boca Chica to the second largest city in Panama David (Da-Ve).
I found that once you get away from the canal, the local Panamains are the most friendly and helpful peoplrthat I ever met. The whole Central American area is littered with hundreds of Backpackers from all over the world, and it was fun to share their sense of adventure.
I encourage everyone to visit the outer areas of Panama.
Old 26-02-2011, 23:26   #22

Re: Any Info on Panama Canal Charges 2010 ?

Hi there,

I apologize for interrupting; I am in the process of purchasing a 72 Hatteras from Florida and I am planning to sail her from there through Panama Canal all the way to San Francisco. From there sail her to Honolulu Hawaii, then to Majuro in Marshall Islands and then to Lae in Papua New Guinea.

As I am thinking about hiring a captain to take us from Florida to Honolulu Hawaii. From there I can hire another captain to take us all the way to Papua New Guinea. But if the same captain can take us all the way would be excellent.

Please give me some pointers and comments so I can work out what best for the journey.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw_fl View Post
Yeah, I know you can do it without. I've done it without too. It's certainly possible. IMO, though... the agent is worth it. Prices vary, end-user experiences vary (some good, some bad) and opinions vary. It certainly can be done without. And I suppose I'm looking at it from an efficiency point of view (delivery-style) as opposed to a cruising style - where you have plenty of time for all that aforementioned 'fun'. And this is, after all a cruisers forum, not a delivery forum...

So I shall reword my suggestion to say - In my experience, I found it more efficient and well...less 'fun' to use an agent. If you are looking for the full experience of dealing with the ACP and Panamanian Government yourself, by all means, go for it. It most certainly adds flavor to the experience of the transit, and you'll find a great sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself. If you get my drift

Good luck either way, and enjoy - it's a great ride.

Rob
rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 03:50   #23

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks John,

Why the rush Dragon Lady ? What about enjoying the Caribbean for a few months and arrive at the canal around June. Less of a crowd in Panama and the same for Marquesas.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 04:09   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rico.

Congratulations on your new boat! I’m sure you’ll get some advice on better routing to PNG.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:37   #25

Hi guys, would you mind giving me an update on the ques at the north end of the canal at the moment?
Old 02-03-2011, 15:41   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
Hi there,

I apologize for interrupting; I am in the process of purchasing a 72 Hatteras from Florida and I am planning to sail her from there through Panama Canal all the way to San Francisco. From there sail her to Honolulu Hawaii, then to Majuro in Marshall Islands and then to Lae in Papua New Guinea.

As I am thinking about hiring a captain to take us from Florida to Honolulu Hawaii. From there I can hire another captain to take us all the way to Papua New Guinea. But if the same captain can take us all the way would be excellent.

Please give me some pointers and comments so I can work out what best for the journey.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Rico
Welcome to the forum, Rico.

You may want to ask this question in its own thread, since answering it here would cause significant drift from the original topic.

Don't be shy about starting a thread of your own. New members do it all the time.
Old 02-03-2011, 15:55   #27

Current info on the Charges to transit the canal

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/maritime/tolls.html

It depends on how big your boat is!
Old 06-03-2011, 19:24   #28

Does any know how long you have to wait to get through the canal at the moment please?

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama