Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 17:03   #1

Bali Marinas

Has anyone got any advice on where is a safe marina in the bali/lombok area where i could leave my boat (46' cat) for 2 months? Thanks
reddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 23:40   #2

Boat: Jeffcat 44
Re: Bali Marinas

(just realized the post is 4 months old, guess you already been to Bali ... anyway, maybe it helps someone else)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog01 View Post
Has anyone got any advice on where is a safe marina in the bali/lombok area where i could leave my boat (46' cat) for 2 months? Thanks
You have a couple of options

- Benoa harbour in southern Bali, there's a "real" marina. Haven't visited in years but they used to be decent. Used to be around 400USD a month, probably bit steeper by now. I had friends who were cheated in there though, but that too was years ago. There's also an anchorage outside the marina, very sheltered inside the reef, but I do not know if you can hire someone there to look after your boat while you are away. Very close from the airport, Denpasar and the southern tourist atractions.

- Serangan harbour, my boats current home. It's 5 miles north of Benoa, also close to the airport, 15 minutes by taxi. Sheltered behind a reef, there is a lot of cruising boats nowadays, some semi-permanently like mine, others just park there for some time. You can rent moorings and people to look after your boat. You could also just drop the anchor but I would not recommend that. Make absolutely sure you have someone reliable looking after your boat, if anything happens and no one feels responsible your boat ends up on her side in the mangroves. You can give Ruth a call (info (at) islemarine.com or +623619967451) she can assist you with anything sailing related in Indo, has also a few moorings in Serangan. Or you just arrive and pick up one of the moorings on your starboard side, just where the busy area starts, about half a mile in after the reef entrance. Someone will come to collect money from you and offer you services. Or PM me and I connect you. Arriving has become very easy, there is proper channel marker buoys, starting from outside the reef. Good place to get diesel without the hassle of the "official procedure". Never had bad diesel here but I do treat it every time. There's also something like a small sailor community, the only place between Darwin and Singapore where it's good advice to walk into a bar in order to fix a sailing related problem

- Gili Gede, south-west Lombok. There's supposed to be a marina for years (and so does the guidebooks say) but there is noting more than a very sheltered mooring, place for maybe 4 or 5 boats. But it is safe, I talked to couple of cruisers who left their boat there without any problems. You looking at something like 5$ a day. Good option if you looking for something really quiet. No infrastructure though (not sure if you can get diesel and water) and a longer trip to the airport, especially if you need to fly from Bali.

- Medana Bay, north-west Lombok. Heard only about, never been there. Apparently they tried to build up something like a marina but not very successfully. Chaotic is the term that I seem to remember but not sure why anymore. All years ago, things might have changed. It is very close from the Gili Islands (that's other gili's than the one before, it's the famous tourist destination in north-west Lombok, Travangan, Meno and Air). Gili Air has a mooring, 4$ a night, but very busy, speedboats every 30 seconds until 5pm. IMO just a place to get decent food and relax after or before sailing the Straight of Lombok.

- There is apparently a new "marina" (what ever that means in Indonesia) somewhere south-west Lombok, someone recently told me about it but I cannot remember where exactly. If anyone else here has more info, would be nice to hear that.

I'd go with Serangan or Gili Gede, depending how much supplies and infrastructure you need. Serangan is the best option if you need anything, Gili Gede if you want quiet. You can also do your business in Serangan or Benoa and then sail over to Gili Gede to leave your boat, doable in a day if you have strong enough engines or in-between full and new moon. The route can get choppy at times though.

Hope that helps!
kudi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 01:11   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Bali Marinas

I've left my boat at Serangan and had no problems.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas