Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 11:11   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Belize??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am surprised by this, what is the reason other than navigation is tricky for not allowing charter boats to visit the outer reefs?

Pete
Reason 1. The navigation is tricky...
Reason 2. The navigation is tricky...
Reason 3. The navigation is tricky...

typical charterers can't/don't navigate.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:35   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I am surprised by this, what is the reason other than navigation is tricky for not allowing charter boats to visit the outer reefs?

Both the main barrier reef and the fringe reefs around the atolls come up abruptly from thousands of feet of water, almost a vertical rise in many areas. If you miss a cut in either case, the result is likely catastrophic.

Inside the reef, between the Inner Channel and the reef, there is a complex mix of reefs, coral heads, shoals, natural channels, and dozens of small islands. Some areas are so thick with coral heads that a chart is pointless (this is true inside the atolls also), you rely 100% on "eyeball navigation". Nearly infinite opportunities to make a mistake, but generally not a catastrophic one. A few bareboaters a year usually end their vacation this way.

Due to the numerous groundings, the Gov't has threatened to make local captains required inside the reef too, but as yet have not.

Also helps protect local employment.

Several examples of complex areas of Belize attached. Lighthouse Atoll (Half Moon Caye near the bottom of image, The Blue Hole is an almost perfectly round dark spot near the top...look at whats in between!), Glovers Atoll, the inner lagoon is filled with coral heads (all those white spots you see in the image aint clouds...those are heads!). The "Bad Lands " (N of Gladden Spit and S of Southwater Caye...loaded with heads, reefs, shoals, and complicated channels)...bad place to find yourself in failing light or sudden cloud cover!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:07   #18

In all images above, notice the deep blue just outside the reef...the main barrier reef and many sections of reefs at the atolls break the surface...a few boat lengths away is deep blue infinity.
Old 29-09-2017, 12:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Indeed, just going a few hundred meters from Half Moon would see us diving on fabulous coral walls disappearing down into the depths.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:50   #20

Quote:
Indeed, just going a few hundred meters from Half Moon would see us diving on fabulous coral walls disappearing down into the depths.

Pete
[emoji106]

Yes, makes for awesome diving...and a really ugly hazard to navigation...just look at a chart of all the know wrecks on the windward side of the atolls.
Old 29-09-2017, 13:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I did an 8 day bareboat charter in Belize. Loved it and would go back. Felt unsafe at times but nothing ever happened. I did love it and would DEFINITELY go back! Let me know if you have any questions or want any info on costs involved or itineraries or photos.

We did it in June/July 2016.

[edit]
We did NOT go to the Blue Hole
[/edit]
Wow, thats serious organization! [emoji6]

Where did you feel unsafe?

The problem with the Blue Hole is that its a long haul to windward from anywhere you are going to pick up a charter boat. With TMM no longer in business in Belize, Moorings/Sunsail is now the only bareboat company. They are based in Placencia...its 70nm straight line distance to windward the Blue Hole...and of course you cant go straight, so the actual route longer. You can break it up of course, but still a long way just to dive the Blue Hole.

The liesurely route, is to exit the reef via Eastern Channel, near Belize City, head out to nearby Turneffe Atoll, explore there a bit, then hop over to Lighthouse on a light air day.

The Blue Hole is a cool dive, in the caverns you can see stalagtites....evidence of its terrestial past. But, for me at least, its a one time unique dive. Good snorkeling around the rim.
Old 30-09-2017, 12:39   #22

Dont choose a day like this to go to Lighthouse (bashing out the Eastern Channel to Turneffe on a breezy day).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mevozpi0b5...A0000.mp4?dl=0
Old 30-09-2017, 14:12   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

And belizesailor is much to shy to mention his contribution to cruising guides for Belize

Belize & Guatemala Cruising Notes Kindle Edition

Belize is an awesome cruising ground, I spent 6 years there running charters, teaching sailing, cruising and still have more to explore. You can cruise the area for weeks and maybe see just a few other cruising boats. Hundreds of miles of reef, dozens of cayes, and three offshore coral atolls combine to create almost infinite cruising options.

And, just south, is Guatemala's Rio Dulce, the ultimate hurricane hole in the region, and so different in every possible way from Belize that it's like entering a different world. The Rio has been my home base since 2006.

These notes have been collected from my experience and responses to questions about sailing and chartering in Belize. The original context may have been responses to questions from cruisers, charterers, or other charter captains. As such, some of the text is still in its original context.

These notes are supplemental to, and intended to be used in conjunction with, Freya Rauscher's excellent cruising guide. These notes provide additional information on local weather knowledge, foul weather anchorages, routes, and more.

Designed to be used in conjunction with the Freya guide. Curtis is “BelizeSailor” on the cruiser forum and was a charter skipper for 6 years in Belize waters

see https://www.amazon.com/Belize-Guatem.../dp/B06XVWQD1Y

Well worth the read
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:18   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoq View Post
My mates (3 of us) and I have had our trip to the Caribbean set on its head by Irma.

I am looking for options and have been considering Belize. We have 2 weeks on the boat. We are hoping to actually sail some distances. Is that even possible there? Is it all up and down the coast?

Any advice anyone who has been there can give would be much appreciated, including a suggested itinerary. We are all experienced crew and would pick up a boat from Moorings in Placencia.

Is it worth the trip?

Is all the sailing inside the reef?

Is 2 weeks too long?

Thanks in advance.

Piccoq
We have been spending 6 months a year in Belize since 2007 so 2 weeks is a good amount of time to start with!!

Plan your provisioning well because if you start from Placencia where the Moorings are based your access to shops is very limited. Not a problem if planned for.
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
And belizesailor is much to shy to mention his contribution to cruising guides for Belize

Belize & Guatemala Cruising Notes Kindle Edition

Belize is an awesome cruising ground, I spent 6 years there running charters, teaching sailing, cruising and still have more to explore. You can cruise the area for weeks and maybe see just a few other cruising boats. Hundreds of miles of reef, dozens of cayes, and three offshore coral atolls combine to create almost infinite cruising options.

And, just south, is Guatemala's Rio Dulce, the ultimate hurricane hole in the region, and so different in every possible way from Belize that it's like entering a different world. The Rio has been my home base since 2006.

These notes have been collected from my experience and responses to questions about sailing and chartering in Belize. The original context may have been responses to questions from cruisers, charterers, or other charter captains. As such, some of the text is still in its original context.

These notes are supplemental to, and intended to be used in conjunction with, Freya Rauscher's excellent cruising guide. These notes provide additional information on local weather knowledge, foul weather anchorages, routes, and more.

Designed to be used in conjunction with the Freya guide. Curtis is “BelizeSailor” on the cruiser forum and was a charter skipper for 6 years in Belize waters

see https://www.amazon.com/Belize-Guatem.../dp/B06XVWQD1Y

Well worth the read
Thanks for the mention Triumphant!

Im not shy, Im just not a commercial member! [emoji6]

Tags
Belize