Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 03:50   #1

Bittagabee creek

This one is for someone who has been up the southern end of the east coast of Australia.
There is a small bay known as Biattagabee creek , south of Eden. I have heard that it can be used as a stopover on what is other wise a very lonely stretch of coast. Can you get in there and anchor with a 2 meter draught? How safe is it from s, s/w winds? What is the holding like? How likely is it that you would get chased out of there by a wind shift?
I know that its very isolated and have talked to one cat owner who has been there, but rumour has it that it is used more often than the pilot would have it by people in the know.
Any help?
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’ve never been anywhere near Australia.

You might Google Bittangabee Creek and/or Bay, Ben Boyd National Park, and/or Sapphire Coast.

Bittangabee Bay, is located in Ben Boyd National Park, on the Sapphire Coast south of Eden, New South Wales in New South Wales (Australia).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
This one is for someone who has been up the southern end of the east coast of Australia.
There is a small bay known as Biattagabee creek , south of Eden. I have heard that it can be used as a stopover on what is other wise a very lonely stretch of coast. Can you get in there and anchor with a 2 meter draught? How safe is it from s, s/w winds? What is the holding like? How likely is it that you would get chased out of there by a wind shift?
I know that its very isolated and have talked to one cat owner who has been there, but rumour has it that it is used more often than the pilot would have it by people in the know.
Any help?

Cooper, I know it as Bitangabee, and have stopped over on a few occaisions.
There is around 5 meters of water in the channel with 3m in the anchorage.
A sand and weed bottom with good holding with an admiralty anchor. Very pretty, with the ruins of the old store for the geen cape light house at the waters edge. Not sure I'd want to enter with a big easterly swell but the inlet provides protection for everything but easterly.

We normally stop over to rest here after the wilsons prom or lakes entrance run or while waiting for a front to pass before heading west..

A low submerged rocky spit from both banks near the entrance provides added protection ,so stay in the middle of the inlet when approaching. The water is very clear most of the time, except after heavy rains.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29   #4

YEAH....I knew there would be someone. thanks for the info...pm sent.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote