Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 12:16   #16

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet
Re: Hoping to Cruise the Florida Keys

I did it a few years ago in same boat and only touched bottom in one place. Hit the scetchy parts a little before high tide. Marathon to key west is no problems. We found if you get stuck leave it in gear and wiggle back and forth and we were able to turn around and get off. Other times gunned it and powered thru sand.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 14:21   #17

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Stick to Hawks Channel, lots of water for your vessel and the reefs knock down the swells. Many times you can sail as there is lots of water in Hawks Channel.
you can cut thru to the Gulf ICW for overnight anchorages, but dont try to follow it. The Gulf ICW is narrow and shallow, congested with high speed center consoles passing everyone in their lane. Not fun when you are slow and trying to avoid the sand bars.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 14:55   #18

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB380 View Post
Looking for information on ability to cruise along the Gulf side of the Florida Keys with a 5'4" draft.

I retired two years ago and my wife still has a couple of years to go. We currently have a Catalina 380 with a wing keel that draws 5'4" and sail the North Carolina costal area. We are hoping to cruise the Florida Keys, but are worried about the depths on the Gulf side of the Keys.

I have looked at some of the depths of the Gulf side on Navionics, and see some of the areas look sketchy at best.

Has anyone cruised the Gulf side of the Keys with a draft of 5'4" or greater?

Are we going to be restricted to the Atlantic side of the Keys?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

GB380

I can’t say I’ve done the gulf side with your draft. By spec, my boat draws 4’ 6”. Reality when in cruising mode is 5’.
I’ve been through the gulf side from Miami to Marathon numerous times. Never an issue, not sure I ever saw less than 6’ anywhere. You shouldn’t have any issues as long as you stay in the marked channel. Don’t cut corners.
There are some areas that require more attention, but use updated charts. My cockpit cruising guide for this area (Florida Loop) is available through “The Boat Galley”.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 16:39   #19

YMMV but...

We attempted to go on the west (gulf) side with our 5'6" draft and could not make it past Islamorada (going south). The boat kept bouncing along the bottom until we turned around.

We then tried to go out to the Atlantic from there, and also was on the bottom right between the channel markers at the entrance(the red/green channel markers were only about 75 feet apart at the mouth of the channel there, so it was obvious where the channel was, and we were grounded directly between the markers).

Had to turn around and go all the way back up north of Key Largo to get out the Atlantic.

Lesson learned. Hopefully you will have an easier time, as some of the other members have. Good luck.
genaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 13:02   #20

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaea View Post
YMMV but...

We attempted to go on the west (gulf) side with our 5'6" draft and could not make it past Islamorada (going south). The boat kept bouncing along the bottom until we turned around.

We then tried to go out to the Atlantic from there, and also was on the bottom right between the channel markers at the entrance(the red/green channel markers were only about 75 feet apart at the mouth of the channel there, so it was obvious where the channel was, and we were grounded directly between the markers).

Had to turn around and go all the way back up north of Key Largo to get out the Atlantic.

Lesson learned. Hopefully you will have an easier time, as some of the other members have. Good luck.
Not surprised the current charted depth for Isla Morda channel is 4 ft at Atlantic entrance. Good luck getting 5 ft draft out there.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, florida, florida keys