Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2022, 17:17   #1

Boat: Catalina 380 / 38ft
Hoping to Cruise the Florida Keys

Looking for information on ability to cruise along the Gulf side of the Florida Keys with a 5'4" draft.

I retired two years ago and my wife still has a couple of years to go. We currently have a Catalina 380 with a wing keel that draws 5'4" and sail the North Carolina costal area. We are hoping to cruise the Florida Keys, but are worried about the depths on the Gulf side of the Keys.

I have looked at some of the depths of the Gulf side on Navionics, and see some of the areas look sketchy at best.

Has anyone cruised the Gulf side of the Keys with a draft of 5'4" or greater?

Are we going to be restricted to the Atlantic side of the Keys?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

GB380
GB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 17:23   #2

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Hoping to Cruise the Florida Keys

I'm interested in this question as well, as we draw 5' 6" fully loaded. Thoughts?

We plan on being in that area sometime mid-2024.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 06:50   #3

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Haven’t done it, but like you had the interest. My research shows limited access for 5’ 6” draft. Concluded Hawk channel and limited excursions to west side via passages from Hawk.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 06:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

5'4" is doable on the Gulf side.. Download navionics boating app- it is EXTREMELY accurate.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 06:57   #5

Boat: Brewer 12.3

The farther north the more shallow. Sketchy sailing without lots of tribal knowledge. There are channels. Even the Atlantic side in the channel was too unconfortable to run at night because the crab pots.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 07:37   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

The question is: Do you feel lucky?

Sand shifts all of the time on the Gulf side of the Keys, and even great charts won't help you with that.

The last time I ran up the Gulf side up to Miami was after Hurricane Irma. We weren't paying attention to the tides because I draw 4 feet, 3 inches, but we touched bottom a couple of times.

Presumably, those sand humps have evened out in the intervening years, but the fact is that you'll never know for sure.

In the Upper and Middle Keys, I always found the shallowest areas of the ICW off Islamorada. There are also some anchorages that won't handle your draft.

Spanish Channel between Marathon and Key West is out due to a shallow patch at the start. But Hawk Channel is a better way to go anyway.

Also, I don't believe you'll find a pass between the Gulf side and Hawk Channel between Stiltsville and Marathon.

So, could you do it? With a TowboatUS card, it's not unreasonable to try, recognizing that you will have to shape your trips around the tide tables. Just expect that you'll run aground somewhere and have to be pulled off.

Also, as someone else noted, beware of the crab traps. They are everywhere in the Keys in season.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 07:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 380 / 38ft

Thanks for the information. We visited the Key Largo area via land and enjoyed it. We were hoping to visit via water, but most likely not.

Thanks again,

GB380
GB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 08:06   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Have a friend that’s been sailing the gulf side of the Keys for over 40 years with a draft slightly greater than 5.5’
There are a couple of places to watch out for and maybe better at high tide. The main area being between Sunset Cove and Islamorada.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 08:35   #9

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB380 View Post
Thanks for the information. We visited the Key Largo area via land and enjoyed it. We were hoping to visit via water, but most likely not.

Thanks again,

GB380
You will be fine following the ICW south to Blackwater Sound (Northwest side of Key Largo). Beyond that you will risk going aground or at least dragging along the bottom a bit with a 5 ft plus draft.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 15:48   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
You will be fine following the ICW south to Blackwater Sound (Northwest side of Key Largo). Beyond that you will risk going aground or at least dragging along the bottom a bit with a 5 ft plus draft.

Absolutely. Only go through with a strong west or southwest wind. T will fill the bay up. There is not much depth change with the tide. It just fills into the bay with no change in depth.

You will be fine to buttonwood.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 16:05   #11

Hoping to Cruise the Florida Keys

I love the inside run when sailing the keys. I’ve done most of it in a 42 jeanneau. We had 5’8”draft I think, it was 2 boats ago.

There is a shallow area about 8 miles south west from Gilbert’s. You want to go through at hit tide.
It’s the worst of the trip.

You’ll need to use hawks for a section. Take snake creek out.

Images show this.

If you can make it work then it’s worth it. You’ll need to check the charts and gauge your own risk tolerance. I went in ok with the idea of being forced back to angle fish creek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671753826.276949.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	269043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671753836.119518.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	269044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671753840.714064.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	269045  
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 16:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I did it with 5' draft and ran aground HARD in the first narrow part east of Channel Five.

Turns out just then the trick was to go OUTSIDE the channel markers, and follow a keel furrow.
Otherwise made it to Miami unscathed. But I'd still hate to do it again even with 5' draft....
Old 06-01-2023, 07:21   #13

Boat: CSY walkover 44"

We lived in Lauderdale for years. We often sailed our 5.5 ft draft boat on the bay side to visit relatives at Hammer Point in Tavernier. We anchored directly off of the flats outside of Hammer Point. Also sailed to Marathon several times. Shell Key area was a little bumpy even then. This all changed after the Jewfish Creek bridge construction. Gulf side became extremely silted. Even as we passed Gilbert's we were seeing shallower water than before the construction. The channel from Sunset bay south we was very skinny water. In the channels we would be literally sliding along the bottom in several areas. Once you start you are committed. The channels are too narrow to turn around. Then there is the jerk in the 30 ft go fast boat passing you at 40 mph (not knots). We went up and came down HARD. Luckily we have a 1980 CSY, we packed the sand rather than cracked the hull. Made it to Hammer Point. spent a few days sounding with the dingy north and south to find more favorable route. Had to wait for a full moon tide to sneak out back to Jewfish. That's the last time we ever tried Bay side.
N-Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:05   #14

Boat: Catalina 36

First, as mentioned, sailing in the skinny waters of the Keys means when ... not if ... you'll go aground. That said 5'4" is a very deep draft for Florida in general. There are many inlets and channels with around 4' of water at high tide.

Second, a winged keel is a mixed blessing since you can only be pulled off a grounding forward or aft and not sideways. When pulled to the side by a halyard (often in the direction toward the channel or deeper water), your draft will increase as the boat heels.

Everything can be done with caution, but be prepared for issues.
capshroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:36   #15

Boat: Catalina 355

Would highly recommend Hawk Channel unless you have a very specific reason to take the Gulf side. I have done the Gulf side as a result of weather conditions. There are definitely places where it will be dicey with your draft. If you decide to make the passage, only try the shallower parts when the tide is in your favor. And make sure your charts are current and that you pay close attention to them.
dcslider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, florida, florida keys