Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 03:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Indonesia 2015 - Clear in and other procedures

Hi Sailing friends -

Ana and I are looking to sail from Fiji to Indonesia.

We would like to clear in somewhere near Raja Ampat and are looking to do this OUTSIDE of the rally that leaves from Australia. Our route would be quite different to the route the rally is doing.

So far all internet information on this topic leaves me with a 'spinning head' so I wondered if there are any cruisers out there who have gone through the process in person?

We know there is a CAIT (cruising permit) process required 2 months in advance of arrival (the new online process is not easy as it requires local address and so on), a social visa is better than a tourist visa, a letter of sponsorship is required (but how?), we are NOT sure about the Temporary Import Duty on a cruising yacht ...

We think a 4 - 6 month stay would be nice and want in particular to dive around Wayag Island which may have difficulties in legislation ...

Any one out there who as done this recently?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 04:35   #2

Boat: valiant 40
Re: Indonesia 2015 - Clear in and other procedures

We would love to help but all I can say is that that the Indonesians have stated that life is about to ge a whole lot easier for cruisers. More like Malaysia which is just great
Old 25-02-2015, 22:55   #3

Boat: Norman Cross 46

[QUOTE=impi;1758671]Hi Sailing friends -

We would like to clear in somewhere near Raja Ampat and are looking to do this OUTSIDE of the rally that leaves from Australia. Our route would be quite different to the route the rally is doing.

One excellent solution is to participate to the Philippines to Eastern Indonesia rally that start at the end of each August and takes about 3-4 weeks only ... leaving you going wherever you like after that on the remaining time of your 3-month CAIT. This annual rally (will be the 4th year in 2015) is a lot of fun and a great way to avoid some of the red tape.

I participated in 2 of the 3 rallies so far and will be the coordinator for the group departing the Philippines this year like in 2014. There is also a group coming from Malaysia a week earlier as they have more distance to cover.

The rally stops will be in Tomini, Sangihe, Morotai and Raja Ampat. If you email me your boat name, flag, captain name and email address, I will email you updates as I get more information from the Indonesian organizers. Lots of freebies on this rally ...

See videos from past rallies on youtube.com/sloepmouche
Old 26-02-2015, 01:12   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I know there are many cruisers who avoid rallies but it's too bad you're not interested in the Sail Indonesia Rally. We participated in it two years ago and not only was it a cheaper way to get the Indonesian CAIT but we were given the 'red carpet' treatment everywhere we went. We knew quite a few cruisers who were joining with the sole purpose of getting the CAIT and wound up being blown away with everything the rally offered. The rally organizers even took care of getting our visas extended and our port clearance papers were all neatly prepared for us when we were ready to leave Bintan.

The spectacles that the locals put on for us at every stop were spectacular and over-the-top. When we got to Wakatobi, each boat got 200 liters of diesel for free.

But, probably none of that impresses you. Okay, I have a good friend who did it the way you're considering and if you PM me with an email address, I'll forward it on to him. Perhaps he can answer your questions.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 19:00   #5

I just returned from a dive trip from Raja Ampat, Ambon, Saram and Banda Neira. Absolutely beautiful out there but be prepared for the remoteness. There is a lot of talk about Raja Ampat, but if you get a chance make a stop in Banda Neira. Beautiful scenery, great people and incredible diving....and its cheap.

If you're going to Wayag Island, make sure to stock up in Sorong and sail through the Kabui Channel. Lots of big fish, dolphin and whales.

I don't have a lot of details about sailing, since I flew out there. I did see several catamarans around Ambon and Sorong. All the locals were complaining about the price of diesel, and none of the sailboats were actually sailing.

K
Kentth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 19:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Try this !
https://caitagen.kemlu.go.id/#
Old 26-02-2015, 20:29   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

We did this on our own a couple years ago. Got our visas in that nasty town in Guadalcanal, and did our own check in in Kupang. Port Captain made us get an agent after already checking in with Immigration. Not too bad after that. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-02-2015, 00:24   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

In 2009 it took us 4 days to clear in and 2 days to clear out. And that was with the Rally!

So without a rally I would think the word 'hell' might be applicable.

And if the Port of Entry you go into may never have seen a sailing boat like yours, let alone ever cleared one in. Authorities are dead set worried about doing something for the first time.

But I am sure you can do it by yourself. Just expect a lot of hassle, bribes etc

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 00:56   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Thanks for the comments - perhaps we should look into the merit of the rally a bit more. Ana and I have pretty much sailed everywhere on our own - sometimes joined up with one or two boats on the same track as us but we quite like not being to anyone elses schedule and change plans midstream quite often. Still, perhaps we should look more closely at all our options here. We are aware the authorities are trying to simplify things for cruisers - I noted the CAIT being on-line now but still some questions there are difficult to answer - like adress whilst in Indonesia - would they accept SV Impi - it seems a question mark in many minds still. I wrote to the Indonesian department of Toursim but have not got any feedback as yet. So, Fiji is proving to be nice and maybe we hang an extra season before departing - that gives us time and Indonesia time to get it figured - perhaps we do what we have always done - get as much info and just try it out and that's where you sailors come in - thanks again - any / all tips appreciated!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 03:26   #10

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Indonesia 2015 - Clear in and other procedures

Get a quote from bali yacht services or try bali marina, they both do cait as a service.
Will speak/ understand english no problem as well

Try this as well http://www.lombokmarinadelray.com/#!...-services/cs33

Really affordable to get a local agent to take care of the cait for you

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 04:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kentth1.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 04:22   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I noted the CAIT being on-line now but still some questions there are difficult to answer - like adress whilst in Indonesia - would they accept SV Impi - it
I have to answer the same question when I go to the USA. Everyone has to answer the same question when they go to Australia.

So in either of those 2 countries what would you do?

Put a known address that you may go: Hilton Hotel, New York, New York 10001.

In Indonesia: Bali Marina, Bali.

Give them what they want and can understand.

BTW many boats only used the Rally to get in and out. Once in they went their own way. At one port there was 5 boats out of the total 130!

Mark.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia