Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 22:45   #1

Lake George NY Sailing

Hello all,

Just joined on hoping to get some advice on a thought that's been plaguing me. I spend my summers in upstate NY and was hoping to do some sailing on Lake George which seems to be the biggest around and I just so happen to love the area.

Anyone have experience sailing in these waters?
RaqLake1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 04:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Lake George NY Sailing

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RaqLake1916.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:09   #3

Boat: Oyster 435-Prism

We sailed a Kenner 26 there for years and had a great time. Watch out for the rocks up around the Narrows and everything else is pretty straightforward. The modification of winds by the surrounding Adirondacks keeps you on your toes, and the occasional T-Storm will keep you focused. It's an expensive place to keep a boat (one reason We don't any longer!), but has plenty of room to explore. Renting one of the campsites on an island for a night and making a weekend of it is fun. It's been a while, so I don't know if places are still open, but sailing into the dock at the Algonquin for dinner was always a good time. Enjoy!
Chark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:16   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Lake George is a beautiful lake and the water is very clean and cold--not much swimming until July and August. Chark pretty much sums it up. I would add that the buoys used on the lake are tiny and not easy to see from a distance--a chart of the lake is well worthwhile. There are several "boating maps" available that indicate the major hazards, which are generally solid rock so you do want to miss them. There will be lots of motorboats on any weekend and most nice days in the summer. There is also Lake Champlain in upstate NY, which some call the smallest Great Lake. It is 100 miles long and offers more cruising grounds. There is no connection between the lakes that is boatable. I currently live about 30 miles from Lake George, so feel free to shoot me any more specific questions.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:44   #5

Thanks for the replies! I had some specific questions regarding marinas and those camp sites you spoke of. I've been to some as a kid but never sailed there.
Are there any sites that have deep water docks; 5ft+? I know there are cruiser only sites were you have to stay on your boat, that sounds perfect but no info on depth was available..

Also does anyone know of a marina to keep a 33 foot sailboat at? I draw 4'6.

Lastly, and this this maybe a question I never though I'd ask; is my boat too big for that lake?

Only reason I'm planning on lake George is my family has a camp nearby in another lake which is way to small for anything but a sunfish.
Thank you again!
Old 21-05-2013, 05:58   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yes, there are island camping sites with deeper water at the docks. Check here for DEC information and there are some links to where you can make reservations and such. There are lots of marinas around the lake, but they tend to be booked full by now. You will just have to call around. Prices are high. Your boat size is not unusual on the lake at all--there are many larger. This little local newspaper has a lot of boating news and many of the marinas and service companies advertise in it.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Yes, there are island camping sites with deeper water at the docks. Check here for DEC information and there are some links to where you can make reservations and such. There are lots of marinas around the lake, but they tend to be booked full by now. You will just have to call around. Prices are high. Your boat size is not unusual on the lake at all--there are many larger. This little local newspaper has a lot of boating news and many of the marinas and service companies advertise in it.
Thank you! Ill take a look at the above info. Much appreciated..
Old 21-05-2013, 08:14   #8

Fyi: I Spoke with a gentlemen at the glen island narrows group for the cruiser camp sites. There are deep water and large docks accommodating sailboats at red rocks bay. Just thought I'd let you all know. Thanks again.