Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 04:54   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Liberty Anchorage, NYC

I am looking for info on the liberty anchorage in nyc. How is the wake, does it fill up on weekends, how many boats can you fit in there etc? Any info would be appreciated.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 09:11   #2

Boat: Broadblue 42
The Waterway Guide states that anchoring behind Liberty or Ellis island is no longer allowed. We have been at the 79th Street Boat Basin, it is the only anchorage in the New York Harbor that we know of. They have made changes to their mooring field this year.
Purrfect Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 10:24   #3

Liberty Anchorage

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]If you look at the attached image, I think that anchorage is still open. How is rowing in and out at the 79th st marina, I hear that the current is pretty fierce. We will be staying there for a few days too. As soon as this crap weather clears out!

Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/0sanchoragep%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us[/IMG]
%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 25-08-2010, 10:34   #4

Boat: Broadblue 42
Yesterday the winds were blowing NE at 10 to 15 gusting to 23 and tide. Getting close to shore made the dinghy ride dryer. We have moved up the Hudson to sit out the weather.
Purrfect Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 11:05   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I stopped by the anchorage just south of Liberty Park last year. There was no wake and room for a dozen boats which I doubt ever occured. There is a launching ramp and a small beach at the head of the anchorage where you can pull up your dinghy. Being NJ I wouldn't leave it however.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 11:50   #6

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
The currents at 79th St. can be significant.
There is another small city operated mooring field at Pier 40, just north of the Holland Tunnel ventilation tower. It is near Houston St.
Hudson River Park - Pier 40 Moorings
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 13:33   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
There is recent information at this site www.zerotocruising.com
They were just there and had wake issues.
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 15:11   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've anchored behind the right shoulder of Lady Liberty at the end of this cul de sac on two ocassions. If you proceed to end end it is unlikly to receive "passing" wake. Both times we were there for an overnight anchorage no other boat was present. We did take our dinghy to the dinghy dock and visit the park,- not Liberty Island. We found this to be an easy stop to adjust our departure for the best current ride up the East River to Long Island Sound past Hell's Gate. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:00   #9

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
As Kirk mentioned, we were just there (on Sat. Aug 21). We had first intended on taking a mooring at 79th St. but were told by the guy on the radio that they don't allow multihulls on their moorings. As we motored past the mooring field we observed two Cats there among the other boats but we saw that they were both anchored and not on a mooring after all. We opted to go to our Plan B which was to anchor in the cove behind Liberty State Park. Skipper Bob's guide says that the bay is protected from all but SE winds. This looks to be true. We however had 20-25 knots blowing right from the SE. That was not the biggest issue though. Every 10 minutes or so a fishing boat would zoom by us about 10 feet off our bow or stern and wake the crap out of us. Only about 1 in 10 would slow down.

Wanting to visit our friends in Manhattan we took our dinghy to the dock there and left it, walking to find a water taxi. It is a "fast" 1 hour walk to the taxi stop! After reaching the taxi stop at the "nearby" Liberty Landing Marina, we opted not to go to Manhattan after all and just walked back to the boat. Our dinghy, which we left at the dock, was just as we had left it.

As for how man boats could anchor there, I'm not a good judge but at least half a dozen. We were the only boat when we left to go ashore. When we arrived back there was one other boat anchored in the bay. We left the next day for Great Kills and saw no other boats attempt to anchor there.

Mike (and Rebecca)
Old 25-08-2010, 20:00   #10

I have rowed from a mooring at 79th street but, I would not recommend it. I went with the current to the dock and returned several hours later when it changed direction. I had a good rowing dingy. But, if the current is too strong and you miss your boat you will be gone! I recommend you use a motor on your dink. You will actually see a bow wake on your boat when the current is strong when at the mooring. I measured 3 knots at times.
Old 27-08-2010, 15:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandrebecca View Post
As Kirk mentioned, we were just there (on Sat. Aug 21). We had first intended on taking a mooring at 79th St. but were told by the guy on the radio that they don't allow multihulls on their moorings. As we motored past the mooring field we observed two Cats there among the other boats but we saw that they were both anchored and not on a mooring after all. We opted to go to our Plan B which was to anchor in the cove behind Liberty State Park. Skipper Bob's guide says that the bay is protected from all but SE winds. This looks to be true. We however had 20-25 knots blowing right from the SE. That was not the biggest issue though. Every 10 minutes or so a fishing boat would zoom by us about 10 feet off our bow or stern and wake the crap out of us. Only about 1 in 10 would slow down.

Wanting to visit our friends in Manhattan we took our dinghy to the dock there and left it, walking to find a water taxi. It is a "fast" 1 hour walk to the taxi stop! After reaching the taxi stop at the "nearby" Liberty Landing Marina, we opted not to go to Manhattan after all and just walked back to the boat. Our dinghy, which we left at the dock, was just as we had left it.

As for how man boats could anchor there, I'm not a good judge but at least half a dozen. We were the only boat when we left to go ashore. When we arrived back there was one other boat anchored in the bay. We left the next day for Great Kills and saw no other boats attempt to anchor there.

Mike (and Rebecca)
Mike, Rebecca! What's up it is Ben and Beth? We are moored at the 79th St Marina and rowed in to the marina the other day in our teeny dinghy, it was a bit dicey but if you hit it at slack tide its really not bad at all.
Old 27-08-2010, 17:40   #12

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Hey guys!

We just made it to Cape May.

I wish we could have stayed at 79th St. as it sure would have made our NYC plans go smoother. I would like to hear the logic in not allowing multihulls on their moorings.

Mike
Old 28-08-2010, 14:16   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unbusted, exactly what are you calling "Liberty Anchorage" ?

There was a large area between Liberty and Ellis that has been used on 4th of July weekends, but basically, between commercial river traffic wakes, reversing flow in the river (it isn't really a river down that low), and wind coming in form the open upper harbor...that can be a rough place to drop a hook, anywhere up there.

The mythical Prudent Mariner would check with the USCG for the latest security nonsense, depending on who's in town they like to draw big red lines on the charts.

Depending in wind, Gravesend Bay is also sometimes used as an anchorage although neither is a designated anchorage area. If you're not familiar with NYC/LI, look for "Special" vs "General" anchorage areas, the rules differ between them. And expect a foul bottom in many NYC locations.

If you make it into western LI Sound...there are a number of designated anchorages that are free and easy to overlook, like Little Bay (as opposed to Little Neck Bay) at the base of the Throgg's Neck Bridge. Other than traffic noises...a peaceful place to drop a hook if you've just come up the Hellgate and need to drop a hook.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, nyc