Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 11:51   #16

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Kelly View Post
Yes, definitely start a Mexico forum. My husband and I will be sailing in the Sea of Cortez starting this fall and would love to have as much info and advice as possible, and a place to share our own experiences.
I am no expert on the Sea of Cortez, but I am sure there are others here that can answer many things. We just returned from a 6 week cruise down to La Paz and return to San Carlos. Great trip.
One thing new in the past couple years in no checking or check out at the port Capitan where you visit.
If you rent a slip you need liability insurance and your 10 year temporary import papers and passports. No biggie. Insurance is $150 a year and the permit varies depending on how you do it. My first one I had an "agent" do it in 24 hours cost $300. My last one I did my self in one afternoon and cost $60...ya gotta let that stuff slide.....if you wish it were differnt you will be frustrated here.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 11:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernDrawl View Post
Hi, Jmolan... Yes, I'd like to see some discussion of the Sea of Cortez. I have a sailing buddy who's boat is on the hard in San Carlos now and he's coming back later in the summer to sail back down toward LaPaz. I sailed with him for a while last November and really enjoyed the southern Sea of Cortez. My chief question is about a source of cheap or free Rastor charts for that area? I'd like to put them on SeaClear II or OpenCPN chartplotters, being a real cheap sailor. I'm looking forward to seeing how this forum develops.
Thanks
SouthernDrawl
Electronic charts here are terrible. First of all they off by 1.5 to 2 miles on the longitude. It very common to be on land when you are anchored...:-) The reason is they are all dated so old. Also there are only two charts for the entire Sea and the scale does not work well at all for just gunkholing. The harbors of La Paz and Matzatlan and all are updated I understand. But I do not know how to get them myself. I am sure someone will.

A much better way is to get the book.

Sea of Cortez - A Cruiser's Guidebook

These two have put together a wonderful new guide. It makes all the others pale. It is all up to date and very accurate on the soundings and GPS data. My wife lived in this book for 6 weeks. Everyone I knew refered to it. I would not want to attempt the Sea of Cortez without it....
Old 14-05-2009, 12:29   #18

Boat: O'day 26, 26' Rojo Grande
Jmolan, just got back from San Carlos (3 days ago) had a great time, nice area, great people.

Joe
joeybkcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:33   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
maybe two different forums:

one could be for the Mexican Caribbean, the other for the West Coast.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:39   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good and helpful comments, folks. Keep 'em coming so we can thoroughly understand your interests. Some people find the forum index a bit challenging as it is, so we'll have to weigh the "pros" and "cons" of adding additional complexity.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:43   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsvoboda View Post
I would love to go to mexico and beyond but I don't want my wooden boat taken from me by the federalies. See my profile of the pictures if you don't believe.

Why would the Federalies want your boat? What am I missing here?

I sailed Mexico for 5 months, and had a wonderful time. Did the 93 Baja, and went over to P.V., and then back home to S.F.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 13:20   #22

dana-tenacity.... yea that's how I remember San Carlos too
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 15:55   #23

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I too would like to see more on cruising Mexico. Having crewed as far south as Alcapulco and skippering a delivery back in '77 and gearing up to retire there (or as a yo-yo for part of the year) aboard my boat very, very soon it would be both informative and encouraging.
Thanks!
John
Old 14-05-2009, 16:34   #24

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
I think having a 'Mexico' thread is appropriate, in that many cruisers head that way; and is often the first stop for us 'west coast' cruisers. There is a lot of info out there, but it's not always the most current. So, being able to ask folks who are currently cruising Mexico can be a great advantage.

As it relates to charts... I've got to second the comment regarding charts being inaccurate. I guess the charts are accurate... just the gps data is off.

I agree that the Sea is a great place to spend some time.
Untitled Page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartplotter.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	8142   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset at anchor.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	8143  

Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 16:38   #25

Squeaks, there are a lot of people doing just that. The majority of cruisers I met on this last cruise are all Mexico based. In other words very few of them ever leave. Many go to the mainland for the winter and hit the Sea of Cortez for the late spring, then haul out or find a hurricane hole to hide in for the summer. The cruise the fall around here and back down to the mainland for winter.
The mainland side (San Carlos) is a 5 hour drive or bus ride to the US. On the Baja side it is much more remote. 1,000 miles of two lane road. The Baja side has many more good anchorages and interesting places. Below (south) Guaymas, it becomes very flat and shallow and not suited to cruising. That is why everyone jumps over to the Baja side if they are going south.
La Paz is also a very nice place to re-fit and prepare for another season. Many cruisers there. And it looked like a good amount of industry to get what you need. Cool town, located on the water, big long water front walkway. You can check out the club site.

Club Cruceros de La Paz Home Page

Just some stuff off the top of my head.

Oh this guy is tops for weather.

Home Page

Weather is a joke here though really. It will finally boil down to, listen for any warnings, and deal with what you have in front of you. There are so many variables with the mountains and the desert and all the valleys etc. I talked to a guy the other day who has sailed (really sails, 44' cat and a 9.9 hp outboard) the Sea of Cortez for 8 years now. He has never seen over 30 kts short of hurricane conditions. I would concur with that. I have been out in 30 kts. northerly and it sucked. But it was not a storm by any means. and it was forcast. But as far as getting the wind directions and speed right for you local? Don't count on it. Just listen for the warnings and go deal with it. Often it is 8 to 12 kts. and flat anyhow...only thing slowing me down is the Dorado that becomes a drogue while I wait for it to play out......:-)
Old 14-05-2009, 16:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailabel View Post
I think having a 'Mexico' thread is appropriate, in that many cruisers head that way; and is often the first stop for us 'west coast' cruisers. There is a lot of info out there, but it's not always the most current. So, being able to ask folks who are currently cruising Mexico can be a great advantage.

As it relates to charts... I've got to second the comment regarding charts being inaccurate. I guess the charts are accurate... just the gps data is off.

I agree that the Sea is a great place to spend some time.
Untitled Page

Sailbable, nice website you have. It looks like you are in Marina Seca Guaymas? Is that right? Are you hauled out for the summer?

I bought my boat when it was on the hard there. I brought my wife in to clean out the 3 years of dirt in Sept. It felt like a pizza oven...OH MAN! I ma glad she kept me and the boat, but it was touch and go I am afraid!
Old 14-05-2009, 20:20   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Destinations sub forums...

Could we put two sub forums for Mexico under "Destinations"?

This might not add greatly to the complexity.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 05:39   #28

Boat: CT54
I would be happy with one forum on Mexico so I could post some of my many questions.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 06:50   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41
I like the idea of the Mexico forum. It would be nice to break it down into two parts one for each coast. Has anyone used the Gerry charts for the SEa of Cortez? Here is a link to his website. Gerry Sea of Cortez Charts I bought them last year b/c I thought I was going to do the Baja Ha Ha in 2008 now as long as fiancies hold out I will do the 2009 and then leave the boat in La Paz wile I yo yo then? Not sure if we'll bring the boat back or what?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 13:36   #30

Boat: China Girl - Cheoy Lee 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
If you rent a slip you need liability insurance and your 10 year temporary import papers and passports. No biggie. Insurance is $150 a year and the permit varies depending on how you do it. My first one I had an "agent" do it in 24 hours cost $300. My last one I did my self in one afternoon and cost $60...ya gotta let that stuff slide.....if you wish it were differnt you will be frustrated here.
Good info on the insurance. Do you have a website suggestion for where I can find more info? $60 definitely sounds better than $300.
Hurricane Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico