Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 15:31   #91

Boat: CT54
Steve - Yes I think we spoke briefly on the way out of the anchorage. Your Tayana is stunning by the way.
We ended up setting a bow and stern anchor at stone island and it kept us pretty flat for the 5 days we were there. Now we are at Marina Mazatlan but wishing we were heading up into the sea with everyone else. Unfortunately we need to head back to the states for a month in August and it seemed almost impossible to find a place to put the boat safely once in the Sea...it seems the Sea would be a total commitment to be on the boat the whole summer and it just would not work for us. I hate the thought of being in a marina for 5 months but oh well there is always November
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10   #92

Thanks for info!

Thanks Sailabel and Jackiepitts! Already taking notes and only been member of forum for 1 day. Am happy to report that I won't be on any schedule other than ETD Norcal and giving myself about one full year of cruising. If any more tidbits of info for a "new" cruiser, please let if fly!
Stu C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31   #93

Seeking La Paz Cruisers July 12th-18th

Greetings,

I'm going to be in the La Paz area, July 12-19 on a fly fishing trip, and would like to make contact with some cruisers in La Paz to gain cruising info on the Sea of Cortez.

I'm planning on sailing the Sea of Cortez next Spring and need some insight. I would love to share some fresh caught fish and Margarita's with anyone interested.

Feel free to e-mail and I'll send my cell phone number. I'm bringing my hand held VHF radio and will also try to make contact via the La Paz "cruisers network".

Regards,

Michael
MPienta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:20   #94

East Coast of Mexico

I don't have a boat (yet) but am looking at different cats for myself and my daughter. I live in Playa Del Carmen if anyone needs any questions answered I can do my best to head you in the right direction. Our big marina other than Cancun is Puerto Aventuras. I want to buy my boat and live there .
KCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:38   #95

Boat: CT54
Any opinions on the best (most accurate) electronic charts for the pacific side of Mexico?
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:00   #96

Pacific Side

Hello...
Sorry can't help, I know nothing of the Pacific side. Good luck though.
KCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11   #97

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPienta View Post
Greetings,

I'm going to be in the La Paz area, July 12-19 on a fly fishing trip, and would like to make contact with some cruisers in La Paz to gain cruising info on the Sea of Cortez.

I'm planning on sailing the Sea of Cortez next Spring and need some insight. I would love to share some fresh caught fish and Margarita's with anyone interested.

Feel free to e-mail and I'll send my cell phone number. I'm bringing my hand held VHF radio and will also try to make contact via the La Paz "cruisers network".

Regards,

Michael
Club Cruceros de La Paz Home Page These are the people to ask for info on La Paz. MY understanding in regards to charts is that the Mexican Government has made new paper charts but I don't remember how you get them. At the time I think you had to send to Mexico City. Club Cruceros will be able to tell you. Have fun La Paz is a great place. It is located at Marina de La Paz at the North end of the Malecon.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:13   #98

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Any opinions on the best (most accurate) electronic charts for the pacific side of Mexico?
Hi Jackie I have a set of older Garmin E-charts and they are not really accurate. I had some friends who upgraded to the newer charts and they were not very good either. Anchoring on land and such.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02   #99

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Just sailed the coast to PV,on Navionics charts, pretty good on Baja,out by a mile or so on the mainland.Watch out for above hw rocks along coast that are not shown as land mass,only written in text.Isla San Geronimo is out by a 1/4 mile.Sea of Cortez is also good.The mainland is a bit trickier,but as long as when near land you have visibility,you can see what is what.When I followed my friend past Punta Mita into Vallarta on his previously used track he took me right over the reef(according to navionics)depth never went less than 40ft though.Passing just south of bouy is fine,(not on chart).
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:35   #100

Boat: falmouth cutter 34
Mexico or bust!, Great Idea , living in Northern Alberta, sailing in West Coast BC. great summers in both places, winters not so great in both, solution ,sail sea of cortez in winter, any info on San Carlos helpful.contact via PM, (channel Cutter 34) lots of teak, will need help on the hard hosing down weekly to keep the teak good
halflucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 12:09   #101

Boat: Cal 2-46
Hi James

At Marina Seca...regarding having decks teak washed weekly...I am not sure this could easily be done as the water is in the work yard. Usually when work is done the boat is moved out of storage and into the work yard.

You could contact the office to see if they would offer this service in the storage area. Getting help to treat the boat with a boat product would be easy when you are there and putting the boat away. Not sure if that is something you would want to do.

There is also dry storage at Marina Real. It might be different there. Again I would recommend contacting the office.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 12:14   #102

Boat: falmouth cutter 34
any teak decks down there with advise?
Thanks Les
My boat will be featured in Crusing World, out in a few days, how cool is that, told my kids i will be signing autographs on Sunday
halflucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 12:18   #103

Boat: Cal 2-46
We are taking our boat from San Carlos south in December. We would really like to go to PV but I only have about 4 weeks. So I would like to leave the boat there for a while.

Does anyone know if there is a place that does dry storage in Puerto Vallarta? I presume there is nothing like San Carlos, otherwise there wouldn't be so many boats coming North.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:35   #104

there is a boat yard at the new marina in La Cruz in Banderas Bay and there is a boatyard at Marina Vallarta. They both have travel lifts to pull boats but I do not know if they do long term dry storage
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:58   #105
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
make sure the water washing your teak decks is salt water so it doesnt rot the decking. teak decking needs salt water every day.

i plan on sailing my boat to puerto escondido for haul in december. will be doin gw ork on boat then sailing panama bound, after some time in sea of cortez, maybe just harbor hop, once i visit some friends living in mazatlan--they have a schooner charter there and have been asking me when i am coming down....my ultimate goals are caribean and gulf of mexico-- want to spend more time on the west side of the gulf--possibly settle into caribean for a while.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico