Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 13:58   #1

North Bahamas Tourist Guide (NOT charts)

Hi,

Eventually, I will be buying charts for the Bahamas.

But for now, I am looking for a tourist guide for sailors. Something that will tell me what I can do in the Bahamas. Most tourist guides are for non sailors, and have info for expensive hotels, etc.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks,

Alan Gilmore

P.S. I am interested in the northern Bahamas
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 22:34   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: North Bahamas tourist guide (NOT charts)

You probably want a cruising guide, of which there are quite a few. For the Abacos try Steve Dodge's Abaco Cruising Guide. For the rest of the Bahamas I recommend Steve Pavlidis' various cruising guides.
Old 19-12-2012, 07:05   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: North Bahamas tourist guide (NOT charts)

I agree with FSMike: go with cruising guides. They focus on the places we cruisers go and services we need. In addition to the guides FSMike recommends, Waterway Guide has a Bahamas Edition (covers the entire Bahamas plus Turks & Caicos). Hope you have a great voyage!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 07:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: North Bahamas Tourist Guide (NOT charts)

I like the Steve Dodge Guide and I favor all the advice above, but as long as you're online; you already have all the info you want. I moved away from this page for a few moments to "google" some topics....Abaco tourist guide, etc,....there's much here. I also decided to select one of several less traveled islands such as Moraine Cay and retrieved a great deal of info and photos. Much is available online!
Old 19-12-2012, 13:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I like the Steve Dodge Guide and I favor all the advice above, but as long as you're online; you already have all the info you want. I moved away from this page for a few moments to "google" some topics....Abaco tourist guide, etc,....there's much here. I also decided to select one of several less traveled islands such as Moraine Cay and retrieved a great deal of info and photos. Much is available online!
Online info, yes, lots; as long as I know where I want to go.

Here's my problem. I know nothing about the Bahamas except that they have 300 days of sunshine every year.

I haven't the faintest idea where to start (Other than I will be traveling to the Bahamas from Miami, hence the focus on the northern Bahamas).

I did look at an online sample of Doziers, it was all navigation. It told how to navigate to a marina or river, and how to anchor, but WHY would I go there? What is there to see or do. It assumes that I know where I want to go, but I don't.

Maybe I will start with a Bahamas travel book, and then when I get closer to departure (spring 2014?), I will buy one of the books you mentioned.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 19-12-2012, 13:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you are leaving from Miami you might want to look into guides that cover Bimini, Andros, Berry Islands, Eleuthera and the Exumas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:10   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilmore View Post
Online info, yes, lots; as long as I know where I want to go.

Here's my problem. I know nothing about the Bahamas except that they have 300 days of sunshine every year.

I haven't the faintest idea where to start (Other than I will be traveling to the Bahamas from Miami, hence the focus on the northern Bahamas). ..................
Alan, This brings up another topic related to your question and very important to the answers. Are you cruising from Miami by boat?....Your boat?..... Power or Sail? ........Tiki Bars & Shopping - or- wildlife and isolated beaches? .....How many days? The online search of the Bahamas is not so big that you won't see what is within your range from Miami.
Old 19-12-2012, 14:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Alan, This brings up another topic related to your question and very important to the answers. Are you cruising from Miami by boat?....Your boat?..... Power or Sail? ........Tiki Bars & Shopping - or- wildlife and isolated beaches? .....How many days? The online search of the Bahamas is not so big that you won't see what is within your range from Miami.
Good questions.

My son and I am planning on 3 to 6 weeks in the Bahamas (more if needed). He is a day trader and I am retired, so we have flexibility on our side. The 3-6 weeks does not include the time for us to sail to Miami from Baltimore.

We have a Tartan 27-2 sailboat, which we bought this past summer. We will be using 2013 to check her out, and get used to her.

Our interests are snorkeling, beaches, sight seeing, coffee shops, but nothing that is too crowded. We like to explore, and I think we will probably spend a couple of days at any given spot so we can check it out.

No shopping, except for resupply.

Alan
Old 19-12-2012, 15:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Miami or Fort Lauderdale make good starting points at dawn for a fair weather passage to West End (Setttlemet Point) in daylight. Three easy days starting onto the bank at Indian Cay and passing Mangrove, Great Sale, Allens-Pensacola, and Powell Cay brings you to Green Turtle Cay and the area known as the "Hub" of Abaco. Marsh Harbor allows for the best provisioning and Little Harbor, Lynyard Cay, Elbow Cay (Hope Town), Man-O-War and Guana Cays are all within a close area. A day trip back from West End to Fort Pierce, like the trip from Lauderdale/Miami takes the best advantage of the Gulfstream current. This would be my choice for a first trip to the Bahamas with your time and boat. The Steve Dodge Guide excels for this area.
Old 19-12-2012, 16:19   #10

Boat: csy 37

another vote for steve dodge's 'cruising guide to the abacos'. google it and buy it online for $25.00. it's not only a sailing guide - with charts, routes, waypoints, depths, tides, and 'local knowledge' - but it also has lot's of information about shoreside attractions and activities.

easy crossing on a good day, not to be undertaken on a bad day. with your boat i'd go fort lauderdale to west end to check in, then cross the banks in some easy day hops to the hub of abaco (marsh harbor, green turtle, elbow, treasure, etc).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 04:51   #11

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

You may have read a sample that happened to be a section on navigation. Each of the cruising guides mentioned include detailed information on the histories of the areas, things to do ashore, and the best places for different types of recreation (snorkling, diving, fishing, beachcombing).

Your 3-6 week window will limit the area you'll be able to explore. Even if you plan to travel in the summer, you'll need to allow for a week to wait for the right conditions for crossing the gulf stream...each way. We've waited much longer than that for the right conditions in the winter. If you can extend your stay if needed, you'll be good-to-go!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 17:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
You may have read a sample that happened to be a section on navigation. Each of the cruising guides mentioned include detailed information on the histories of the areas, things to do ashore, and the best places for different types of recreation (snorkling, diving, fishing, beachcombing).

Your 3-6 week window will limit the area you'll be able to explore. Even if you plan to travel in the summer, you'll need to allow for a week to wait for the right conditions for crossing the gulf stream...each way. We've waited much longer than that for the right conditions in the winter. If you can extend your stay if needed, you'll be good-to-go!
Right, maybe the sample was just a navigation section.

Also, thanks for the tip about waiting as much as a week to cross the gulf stream. I was planning on a few days, but I will plan for a full week (if needed).

Thank you,
Alan
Old 25-12-2012, 06:35   #13

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

You know, guys and gals, there really is more to the Bahamas then the Abacos. Also, the weather is better south this time of year, so I recommend going to Miami, loading up, then making the very easy passage to Bimini to check in. Then you can easily access the Berry Islands and the Exumas, where the weather is nicer than you will ever see in the Abacos in the winter, as well as warmer water and less cruisers.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 09:28   #14

Boat: csy 37

i think most of us would agree with you, waterworldly. but the op did say -

'P.S. I am interested in the northern Bahamas'
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, charts, bahamas