Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 05:03   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama Canal cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Just to distinguish, there is Chinese government money (of which I'm sure there is lots) that is invested in larger companies and joint projects, and then there is private (individual/private) money that is coming in to buy/operate smaller businesses. The source of the former funds are normally all legit (by most standards). The source of the latter funds may well be either either wealthy individuals/families (sometimes but not always with current/past government connections). Some of that money is legit, some of it is money being laundered. Read the press reports about (legalized money laundering) the high value residential property market in CA (and other high value real estate markets), shell companies, and their purchase/use by Chinese (among others).
Yeah, if I were Chinese with a lot of capital (legit or not), I would be getting out of China as fast as possible. Never know when The Party might decide it all belonged to "The People".

A few years ago the founder of Ali Baba (like Chinese Amazon), made the highest dollar residencial real estate purchase in history. I envision him having a team whose job it is to get money out of China as fast as it comes in....and in his case that would be a very busy team.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal, panama